Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CFC Governors' Quarterly On-line Meetings to Remain Closed

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft View Post
    ... If the House of Commons, Senate and all of the provincial and territorial legislatures can meet in public I fail to see why the CFC cannot do the same and withstand scrutiny of its deliberations.
    Right on the mark. Thanks, Ken.

Spraggett states his opinion on the issue quite graphically.
    http://kevinspraggett.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Fred - I believe Kerry was directing his comments specifically at Ken. Ken has had his day in court, the vote was decidedly against opening the meeting to real time harassment. The question is: Will Ken accept the results of the vote, the will of the governors, of just keep waving around some stupid rulebook. Ken does believe in democracy, doesn't he?

Ken, you lost the vote! Move on, and let the rest of us deal with the real issues.
    Hi Bob. If Ken leaks information about online meetings, shall we refer to him as New Brunswicki Leaks?

Seriously, the more I think about this the more I'm inclined to agree that "real time harassment" is a big problem for the CFC. So long as the CFC publishes an agenda by some reasonable cut off date prior to any meeting - so that members can contact their local governors (directly or via message boards) to weigh in on any issues of concern - and provided that a proper set of minutes is published within a reasonable time frame after each meeting, then I don't see why govs and execs should have to endure having every single word of their deliberations scrutinized by the sometimes-crazed-with-anger (...who me???) members.

Default A Public Record?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter McKillop View Post
    Hi Bob. and provided that a proper set of minutes is published within a reasonable time frame after each meeting,
    Hi Peter:

Look at the GL after the 2010 Fall Meeting in October. You will see the truncated " summaries " ( they are NOT minutes ).

Do they satisfy your condition?

Bob

I think every other democratic would prefer to meet in private and not have its words judged in real time, Peter. That isn't consistent with transparent governance.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter McKillop View Post
    Hi Bob. If Ken leaks information about online meetings, shall we refer to him as New Brunswicki Leaks?

Seriously, the more I think about this the more I'm inclined to agree that "real time harassment" is a big problem for the CFC. So long as the CFC publishes an agenda by some reasonable cut off date prior to any meeting - so that members can contact their local governors (directly or via message boards) to weigh in on any issues of concern - and provided that a proper set of minutes is published within a reasonable time frame after each meeting, then I don't see why govs and execs should have to endure having every single word of their deliberations scrutinized by the sometimes-crazed-with-anger (...who me???) members.
    Thank you Peter. Your ideas sound very reasonable and worthy of discussion. The executive and governors do overwhelmingly support the concepts of transparency and openness. We just need to find the proper balance to maintain good decorum and effective communications.

Having said that, please keep in mind that any changes to current practices need to be approved by the governors. I am sure you will have no difficulty in finding a governor willing to work with you to draft the appropriate motions for the April governors meeting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft View Post
    I think every other democratic would prefer to meet in private and not have its words judged in real time, Peter. That isn't consistent with transparent governance.
    Do you have any real life examples of organizations that have a public forum governance meeting ?

I have already stated that I have no problem with the full meeting forum going public after the meeting is over.

Blog Entries

Question Co-op model

A few years back we used to live as members of a Co-op organization which owned the buildings; in order to join them you would have to pay a shares deposit and had one vote in all matters related to the organization.

All meetings were public for all members, including the board of directors meetings. Only sensitive subjects would be discussed in-camera!

Could anyone explain why CFC can't use the same model?

Quote Originally Posted by Valer Eugen Demian View Post
    A few years back we used to live as members of a Co-op organization which owned the buildings; in order to join them you would have to pay a shares deposit and had one vote in all matters related to the organization.

All meetings were public for all members, including the board of directors meetings. Only sensitive subjects would be discussed in-camera!

Could anyone explain why CFC can't use the same model?
    How about: arguments about what should and should not be 'in camera' ?

Seriously, it seems the CFC spends a HUGE proportion of time and energy on matters that have nothing to do with CHESS. It wouldn't be so bad if all this admin/procedural crap took place in the background while a lot of grass roots initiatives were taking place, but I see no evidence that is the case.

Blog Entries

Unhappy In camera

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    How about: arguments about what should and should not be 'in camera' ?

Seriously, it seems the CFC spends a HUGE proportion of time and energy on matters that have nothing to do with CHESS. It wouldn't be so bad if all this admin/procedural crap took place in the background while a lot of grass roots initiatives were taking place, but I see no evidence that is the case.
    In camera items: personal situations and financial discussions except.

Strata is another model. A member of a Strata group can always participate at any meetings.

Too bad you guys don't take it seriously...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast