Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 28h. CYCC Qualification rules - Brammall amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Nadeau View Post
    Sorry I just returned from out of country and am catching up on the meeting. If I understand correctly, there was a lot of unnecessary discussion.

I cannot conceive of any situation where this could possibly be implemented.
    If we use the other criteria for qualifications and even assume there are 0 YCC's being run that year, The other means of qualification would have a minimum of 12 qualifiers per category by May 1st. Each province has top rated (10 provinces) = 10 players qualified. There has always been at least 2 players for each section in the CYCC's of the previous year so they would qualifiy this way that makes 12 players per section bfore YCC and before the host site nominates players.

I may have missed some important postings ,I'm trying to get up to speed before voting but this and any similar amendment is useless from what I see so far.
    It is 12 in each age group, not twelve total. This rule would guarantee a minimum of 72 qualified players total. If the YCCs and other rules ever fail to make 12 qualifiers in any one section, this rule will bring the section up to twelve players.

Blog Entries

Each province qualifies it's highest player by rating for each group. Combine that with the top 3 finishers and Ellen's right.

I'd go with the top 10 rated CFC members on May 1 (keep it simple).

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Nadeau View Post
    I cannot conceive of any situation where this could possibly be implemented.
    If we use the other criteria for qualifications and even assume there are 0 YCC's being run that year, The other means of qualification would have a minimum of 12 qualifiers per category by May 1st. Each province has top rated (10 provinces) = 10 players qualified. There has always been at least 2 players for each section in the CYCC's of the previous year so they would qualifiy this way that makes 12 players per section bfore YCC and before the host site nominates players.
    I read this a little more closely this time... this would be true if it were possible for provinces to qualify players in every section, however most provinces have no active players in many sections. I have a chart with the total number of active juniors by province somewhere.... just let me find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brammall View Post
    I have a chart with the total number of active juniors by province somewhere.... just let me find it.
    Province...........U8.......U10.....U12.....U14... ..U16.......U18....
    Alberta.............1..........7.........5........ .7........6..........5......
    B.C. ...............6..........9........10.......10.... ...7..........6......
    Quebec.............0..........2........1.........6 ........6..........2......
    Manitoba...........0..........1..........1........ .1........3.........2.....
    N.B. ...............0...........0.........1........1... .....1...........1....
    NF .................0...........0.........0.........1 ........1..........0....
    NS .................0...........0.........1.........0 ........0..........0....
    NU...................0...........0..........0..... .....0.......0.........0.....
    NWT ...............0...........0............0........0 ........0.........0.....
    Ontario ...........15..........25........25+......25+..... 25+......25+.....
    PEI...................0...........0............0.. .....3.........1..........0....
    SK...................0............0...........0... .....2.........0..........1.....
    YK...................0............0..........0.... .....0........0............0...

So that's the demographic breakdown... as you can see there are numerous 0 spots where there are no active (min. 15 games) juniors from that province or territory, in the specified age group.

I initially tried to use this chart to argue that any sort of qualification based on geographic locale did not make sense... and I stand by that interpretation.
    Last edited by Stuart Brammall; 01-20-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brammall View Post
    I understand that, and am not arguing against qualifying tournaments in general, I just feel they should be used to qualify wildcards.... I also see no problem with pre-qualifying players you already know will be competitive.

As I said months ago, I feel the best system for qualification (besides an open event ) would be to have some sort of rating floor, and then in addition to have provincial YCCs to qualify anyone else who is competetive... Say qualify the top 20 in an age group, then hold the YCCs (and only one per province) and the top 3 in each age group who are not already qualified by being in the top twenty also qualify.

Unfortunately you don't really want a qualification system, what you want in an enforced participation system... they are not the same at all.
    Thank you, Stuart!

Glad to know that you support the qualification system in general!

What we need this year - the qualification system that encourage participation.
    After CYCC we analyze the results and make necessary corrections to the rules.

Sooner or later, we would be able to build the qualification system that you like...

Meantime we need to vote on this motion...

As I said months ago, we can't use ratings for qualification, because we can't compare ratings from different provinces.
    The only way to qualify - is to play well in a tournament.

This motion discourages tournament participation, that's why it's bad.

On behalf of the CFC Youth Committee I ask all Governors to vote against this motion.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345