Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 28h. CYCC Qualification rules - Brammall amendment

Default 28h. CYCC Qualification rules - Brammall amendment

Lyle or Stuart, please post motion here ASAP.

Motion – Adding Pre-Qualifiers for CYCC

December 21, 2010

Moved: Stuart Brammall:; Seconded: Bob Armstrong

That section 1003 of the CFC handbook be amended to include the following:

(e) The top ten rated players in each age category in the country (as of may 1st prior to the CYCC).

Commentary:
    Thus the text of section 1003 will be:

1003. Players: {Motion 2009-13 2009 AGM Nadeau/Lavin}
    The following players shall be eligible to participate in each Youth Tournament provided they comply with the formal entry requirements of Article 1007:
    (a) The qualifiers from that year's YCC's.
    (b) The qualifiers from the CYCC to the WYCC of the previous year.
    (c) The highest rating of each age category {open & female} of each Province {as of May 1st prior to the CYCC}
    (d) The host organizer may nominate three players for each category from the host location. {Amendment of Original Motion Barron/Langer}
    (e) The top ten rated players in each age category in the country (as of may 1st prior to the CYCC)

The reasoning behind this is quite simple; these are our best players… and to exclude them would be detrimental to both the event and to the resulting WYCC team. It also ensures a minimum of ten players qualified in each section

The above motion was drawn up in consultation with a few CYCC parents who are dissatisfied with the current system.

I have done some more thinking about this, and have a new idea:

I recognize that we do not want people to qualify by rating to not play in the YCCs, however I still have concerns about the YCC system, specifically I do not see that we can be sure to have enough volunteers to run them every year. To this end I would like to propose a compromise--

Potential Motion (in need of seconder):

That section 1003 of the CFC handbook be amended to include the following:
    (e) If less then 12 players have qualified for an age goup by May 1st through the means outlined in sections 1003, (a)-(d), then the top players by rating in each age group (provided they have played at least ten rated games in the last year) will be added to the qualified list until 12 are qualified in each group.

Commentary:
    This will ensure that each group always has twelve qualifiers, but will motivate the top players to play in the YCCs bcause if they do not and the twelve spots are taken they will not be able to play. This will sufficiently protect the event if in any given year the YCCs fail.
    Last edited by Stuart Brammall; 01-19-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brammall
    (e) The top ten rated players in each age category in the country (as of may 1st prior to the CYCC).
    somewhere should be added "with minimum 10 played games per year". Or maybe 20
    .*-1

Blog Entries

I think your original amendment is simpler and better.

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Agreed, and I changed the post.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    I think this is making it too complicated. Most of these kids, I would think are playing all of the time.

One added feature to this amendment is that it allows for the few kids living outside the country the opportunity to qualify.

It was simpler, and perhaps better... however I felt that this should also be discussed as a possibility; the apparent opposition to the original motion (Barron) should, I hope, be satisfied with this.

A better alternative rather than trying to fix a flawed system would be to rescind 2009-13.

Yeah, I tried to argue that for a couple of months after the fall meeting... and met with ample resistance and no support. I am trying to make the best of a bad situation...
    As I said, for some reason our youth coordinator has commited himself to this system... to the point that a member of the CYCC organizing team had to seek me out to have this brought forward.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast