Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 28e. CYCC Qualification rules - Barron amendment

Then it is the same as (b).

(Which is fine with me, but likely the motion has supposed to have some purpose)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Nadeau View Post
    I cannot say I am much in favour of this motion.
    Conceivably a U8 champion can disappear for 6 years and come back to CYCC without any other basis than that he had won a long time ago. We allow for previous winners and top 3 to come back the next year but leaving it open to potentially a 10 year gap(7 -17) is too much.
    Ellen,

This is exactly the point of this amendment - to keep a U8 champion in the loop and don't let him disappear for 6 years!

Of course, it's impossible to do without help of all people involved - Provincial organization, coach, parents...

But if, after becoming a champion, a kid has 2 not very successful years, a right to play at CYCC could help to keep him playing chess.

On behalf of the CFC Youth Committee I ask all Governors to vote in favour of this motion.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Default Not a good Idea

By implementing this motion, you don't succeed in keeping a player from disapearing for 6 years ... you just give them a bye when they do return allowing them direct access to the CYCC.

Absolutely this goes against the whole idea of the YCC qualification system.
    In fact it almost encourages them to disappear for a few years because it doesn't matter if they don't play ... they will be able to enter later anyway.

Qualification should be limited to ONLY the previous year's champions.
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald
    International Arbiter
    International Organizer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12