View Poll Results: Should the President be allowed to vote?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 66.67%
  • No

8 33.33%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Straw poll

So if someone will agree to move Bob G's proposal as a motion, I'll then agree to second it, so that we can have a full motion debate on it ( even though I will then be arguing against it ).

I only ask that the mover first contact me and provide their motion, so that I can approve the wording ( if not the concept ). Is anyone willing to move it for Bob G at this meeting now?

Bob A

Bob A

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    provide their motion
    What about this one:

Motion to delete the clause 22A(2)(ii) from the Handbook.
    22A(2)(ii) - "The President shall initially abstain on all motion votes. However, in case of a tie vote on motions or elections, he shall have the tie-breaking vote."

Thus, the President as a member of the Board, i.e., an officer would have a voting right:

"20. OFFICERS ARE GOVERNORS
    With the exception of the Executive Directors those Officers who are not members of the incoming Assembly of Governors shall: enjoy the same rights as the members of the incoming Assembly during their term of office and they shall be regarded as Governors at large not representing any particular province,"

OFFICERS The Officers of the Federation shall be the members of the Board of Directors"

"10. BOARD OF DIRECTORS The Board of Directors shall be elected at the Annual Meeting of the Assembly and shall be constituted by seven persons, namely, the President,"
    (My emphasizes )
    .*-1

Default Chair On-line Meeting Voting Rights - Must Be Explicit

Hi Egis:

Doesn't do it for me as a potential seconder.

I want an explicit statement right in the On-line Meeting Procedures as to what voting power the chair has.

I thought Bob G in his last post on this had a pretty clear statement, and that it reflected the apparent text of Robert's Rules of Order.

I'd second a motion that had that type of wording, and was embedded in the Meeting Procedures.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    I want an explicit statement right in the On-line Meeting Procedures as to what voting power the chair has.
    I would prefer to see uniformity for the AGM, online meetings, and rushed votes.
    .*-1

Hi Egis:

I agree on uniformity. There's no reason though why it can't be in more than one place. I want it easy to access when using the Meeting Procedures.

I think we can't dance !

Bob

I'll wait for other dancer
    .*-1

Default Really!

You guys really can't agree on a motion?

IMHO, a motion should never see the light of day unless at least two governors support it, the mover and seconder. If you can't get that, realistically what chance does it have? That does not mean it can't be discussed. I realize I am reading from the book of common sense instead of the official Robert rules of whatever, so just call me a rebel.

Too late anyways, straw poll is now 13 yes and 7 no, only 65%, not enough for the required 2/3 majority. Oops, subtract my vote, 12 yes, 7 no. 2 more yes votes required.

Default Yes, but not when acting as chair

The President should be allowed to vote but not when acting as the chair. If the President feels strongly enough about a matter before the assembly then the President can pass the chair to another officer typically the Vice President for that matter and be in a position to debate and vote on the matter without affecting the objectivity of the chair.

That's impressive.

I've even submitted a motion once or twice in my career when a non-Governor presented an idea I thought was worthy of adoption.

Of course the all-time record has to be the time I gave proxy instructions saying "Vote against any motion moved or seconded by Governor John Doe" and John Doe was given my proxy!

I had a really interesting chat with the then President after that that started "Uh ______, didn't you READ my proxy before you gave it to John Doe????"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    Of course the all-time record has to be the time I gave proxy instructions saying "Vote against any motion moved or seconded by Governor John Doe" and John Doe was given my proxy!

I had a really interesting chat with the then President after that that started "Uh ______, didn't you READ my proxy before you gave it to John Doe????"
    The exact same thing happened to me... and not only that, but given the vote counts, that person used my proxy specifically against its instructions.

That's why I think for the AGM there should be two types of proxies - one is an actual proxy, and the other is just a list of votes, to be handled by the secretary. Of course an online AGM would render either moot.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast