Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 37B. Length of meeting - 7 vs. 14 days

Blog Entries

Just close the official discussion threads. If people want to continue the discussion elsewhere, that's up to them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Just close the official discussion threads. If people want to continue the discussion elsewhere, that's up to them.
    This works for me. Discussions that are not involved in voting motions can remain open.

Blog Entries

We should do an experiment too... make some kind of poll in another forum, close it, and see if people can still vote on it. That would be handy for the future.

I would be against closing discussion threads this time since we've not advertised our intention to close them in advance.

I would favor opening voting on day 4 (or later - but 4 is what the enabling motion says) and closing discussion on day 7 and end the meeting on day 8 or 9.

That would be doable without causing an insane workload for the organizers.

Default One Week Meetings Sufficient

I have mentioned previously that in my experience as Posting Secretary at the 2010 Spring and Fall On-line Meetings, posts slowed to a trickle after 3 1/2 days, the time the Meeting Procedures set aside for " discussion " - that is when debate on motions ceases and no more amending motions can be filed ( though discussion continues on other topics after the 3 1/2 day deadline ). So it was my opinion that governors covered most of what they wanted to say in that time period. And during the voting phase over the last 3 1/2 days I also noticed a significant drop-off in further discussion posts.

At this meeting, since we started at noon on Saturday, the 3 1/2 days was up last night,Tuesday night. It is my observation that since 6:00 PM last night, once again the posts have slowed dramatically in comparison to Monday and Tuesday. And today ( Wed. ) the posting has been relative light in the morning. So it seems to me that once again, despite a somewhat longer agenda than the first two meetings, most governors have by now made their points on the live agenda items, and are now just waiting to vote on motions. Bob G pushed back the start of voting 'til 12:00 AM Friday morning, because at the time, posting had been somewhat light on the weekend, and had increased significantly on Monday. We can observe the rate of posting today and Thursday, but I expect the posting will now be quite light until the start of voting.

I make these observations to reiterate my position that I think the one week period of the Meeting Procedures seems to satisfy the needs of the majority of governors. I feel that we don't need to extend the meeting time, based on the experience of our three meetings, unless today and Thursday prove unusually busier than I expect.

Bob

Actually I've seen little input the last couple of days from other than the usual 6-7 people - this is not a good thing. I'd like to see a more varied response.

Default Posting / discussion

I am not even sure If I can post any discussion at this point? has it been cut off?

I have been unable to even glance at the meeting until now ... So in my situation, if discussion has already ceased then I get no input ...

the Idea of an online meeting was to be more inclusive, no?
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald
    International Arbiter
    International Organizer

Default Procedure after Start of Voting

Hi Patrick:

I'm sure Bob G will respond.

But he has ruled, as I understand it, that there is to be no more discussion of the Motions being currently voted on after the start of voting on Thursday, 11:59 PM EST. I thought the motion discussion threads that are being voted on, were going to be locked at the start of voting. I don't think that has been done though. As well, as of that time, there can also no longer be filed any amendments to the motions being voted on.

The Meeting Procedures had called for discussion of motions to end Tuesday night, but Bob G ruled that the voting was going to be delayed to Thursday night late, in order to allow for more discussion of the existing and being filed motions.

Bob

Well, I don't recall making any such ruling.

Nevertheless, it does not stop some people from putting words in my mouth.
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; 01-21-2011 at 03:21 AM.

Default Locking Motion Discussion Threads At Voting

Hi Bob G:

Sorry if I put words in your mouth !

I know it was certainly discussed at some length somewhere, but I'm not sure of which thread at the moment - and I cannot remember if you were at all involved or not - I'll accept your recollection of course.

I'll go hunt to see if I can find the relevant posts where some were advocating what I stated. I think Fred was involved - maybe he'd remember where it was?

Since it appears you didn't make this ruling, I'd urge you to make it now, and lock the discussion threads of motions being voted on !

Bob A
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 01-21-2011 at 03:37 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast