Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 37B. Length of meeting - 7 vs. 14 days

We don't make rules up in mid-meeting.

Default Consequences of Starting Voting?

Hi Ken:

I generally agree.

On the issue of no discussion of motions after voting starts, the discussion, wherever it was, saw it as similar to there being no campaigning during voting in elections. And those of us discussing it, as far as I remember, had reached a consensus the idea was a good one. I think that we were thinking of having Bob so rule, on the basis of general ageement having been reached, unless someone objected. That's why I thought Bob G had in fact actually made a ruling. Anyway, I can't seem to locate the discussion. Someone else will have to find it because I've now got to leave the meeting. I think the Assembly should ask Bob to make such a ruling, in my opinion.

As to no amending motions after voting starts, that is in the Meeting Procedures:

3. Role of the Posting Secretary

The Secretary, or his/her designated alternate, shall be made a Governors’ Discussion Board Administrator. S/he shall post the meeting agenda, discussion threads and motion voting threads on the Governors’ Discussion Board as follows:

( i ) Posting of Meeting Agenda – .......

( ii ) Agenda Items – ...

( iii ) Agenda Item Introductions – .....

( iv ) Motions - ........After voting on motions has commenced, there can be no amending of the motion......

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Ken:

I generally agree.

On the issue of no discussion of motions after voting starts, the discussion, wherever it was, saw it as similar to there being no campaigning during voting in elections. And those of us discussing it, as far as I remember, had reached a consensus the idea was a good one. I think that we were thinking of having Bob so rule, on the basis of general ageement having been reached, unless someone objected. That's why I thought Bob G had in fact actually made a ruling. Anyway, I can't seem to locate the discussion. Someone else will have to find it because I've now got to leave the meeting. I think the Assembly should ask Bob to make such a ruling, in my opinion.

As to no amending motions after voting starts, that is in the Meeting Procedures:

3. Role of the Posting Secretary

The Secretary, or his/her designated alternate, shall be made a Governors’ Discussion Board Administrator. S/he shall post the meeting agenda, discussion threads and motion voting threads on the Governors’ Discussion Board as follows:

( i ) Posting of Meeting Agenda – .......

( ii ) Agenda Items – ...

( iii ) Agenda Item Introductions – .....

( iv ) Motions - ........After voting on motions has commenced, there can be no amending of the motion......

Bob
    Yes. I agree we should follow the rules here.
    Lyle - please lock the relevant threads.
    In case it needs to be said again - no new motions or amendments once voting starts.

Blog Entries

I don't think it matters where it is located, but I did suggest that we not discuss any motions being voted on once they went to the vote.

I don't think Bob G "made it so".

I have now voted, and I won't be commenting any more on the motions presently being voted on, until the results are revealed.
    Last edited by Fred McKim; 01-21-2011 at 10:55 AM.

Thanks Fred. I think everyone will quite rightly stop discussing items for voting anyways, just the right thing to do.

I am exhausted. I hope to keep away from the board today (as much as possible) to recharge the batteries
    and preserve what little sanity I have left.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234