Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 21. 2011 Provincial YCC Qualifiers to the 2011 CYCC

Have I ever said that Fred? The paradigm is the problem. As long as the CFC views the CMA as an opponent rather than a potential ally, the CMA will be an opponent. As for the CYCC qualification process, it simply is not in sync with the reality on the ground in most provinces.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft View Post
    Have I ever said that Fred? The paradigm is the problem. As long as the CFC views the CMA as an opponent rather than a potential ally, the CMA will be an opponent. As for the CYCC qualification process, it simply is not in sync with the reality on the ground in most provinces.
    Here's what I think. If I was in a position to organize CFC junior only events in PEI, I would target the existing juniors (who play in CMA tournaments).

Assuming I was going to try for a single event, I'd be inclined to call it the PEI Youth Championships. What I'd stress would be the opportunity to win a Provincial Championship. Qualification to the Nationals wouldn't be too important, as we don't have that calibre of player, and if we did they'd qualify through one of the other mechanisms.

If the board of the CMA affiliated PEI Youth Chess Association would have agreed to help it could have occured this spring after the CMA Nationals.

Having said all of this I still think of myself of being pro-CMA, but I have to remember which group I'm entrusted to make a #1 priority.

Blog Entries

Default Icons

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brammall View Post
    How can they be a competitor? There is no market share here-- only promoting chess, which both the CFC and CMA do.
    There is an obvious difference between promoting chess in Canada and promoting the CFC in Canada... we should make sure we're doing the right one.

Also you should know that the "thumbs down" icon you have used repeatedly in incredibly poor taste... if you were to gesture thumbs down repeatedly in person at an AGM, I would leave, if the chair did not throw out.
    Writing is always hard and one of the poor ways of communicating (basic HR concept). On top of this my experience so far as a governor is no matter what I say based on personal experience - we can debate how valuable it is - very few bother to even discuss it with me and even less to do something along it. It matters only what the majority back East says no matter what that is because they live and meet there... Now some might say this proves that I am absolutely out of touch; however my point is anyone dismissing it does it too fast, maybe because it is the easy thing to do and definitely because very few governors know about my work with kids and juniors since 1994.

NOBODY can tell me something different from my personal experience and force me to act differently. This includes the relationship with CMA at any level (national or provincial in BC). Also I know a thing or two about negociations and competition even between non-profit organizations. Maybe if I was an Ontario governor the others would listen more which is a bit sad if you really think about it.

The "thumbs down" icon is the only medium I see available to express my disappointment with the direction something progresses to. Example: we just received the voting results after the January meeting. Personally I feel we voted wrong in at least a couple of instances. Do you want me to be happy about it and go with the flow? Sorry, I am not that type of guy. I am not at all happy I will also be affected by it and would have to fix it after time (if only) will be lost...

Someday - hopefully sooner rather than later - CFC would realise who their true friends and promoters are before they disappear for various reasons. I am doing my "chess thing" here without any help from CMA or CFC, so I should at least be entitled to my position and be given a minute or two to express it. CFC - you guys included - benefits directly from the players coming out of BC and representing Canada!
    Last edited by Valer Eugen Demian; 01-27-2011 at 06:24 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456