Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 21. 2011 Provincial YCC Qualifiers to the 2011 CYCC

Default CMA's Provincial Chess Challenges - Qualifiers?

Hi Egis:

Victor Itkine, a member of the Youth Committee, has made this very proposal to the Committee. Michael can update us on how that proposal fared in discussion in the Committee ( their discussion board is confidential ).

Bob

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Deal

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Could the CFC and C&M make a deal to recognize PCCs as qualifiers?
    I do not think you can do that since both organizations run their tournaments under different playing rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Valer Eugen Demian View Post
    I do not think you can do that since both organizations run their tournaments under different playing rules!
    It is still better than no tournaments.
    .*-1

It is still better than no tournaments.
    Egis,

What exactly is better?

The intent of the qualification system is - to encourage all provincial affiliates to organize youth CFC rated tournaments in their provinces.

CMA already has Provincial championships in all provinces.
    Why can't CFC ?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Why can't CFC ?
    I can only speculate: the CFC has no infrastructure or ground in many provinces. How many are chess teachers and/or coaches affiliated with the CFC? Some kind of analogy of a relationship with FQE -- why is a number of CFC rated tournaments in the Quebec province low?
    .*-1

This model has the smell of imposition from Upper Canada on it as well.

Blog Entries

Post Chess teacher and coaches

I can only speculate: the CFC has no infrastructure or ground in many provinces. How many are chess teachers and/or coaches affiliated with the CFC? Some kind of analogy of a relationship with FQE -- why is a number of CFC rated tournaments in the Quebec province low?
    Most of the teachers and coaches organize both cycles at the provincial level since they understand the value of each one. The difference is the amount of help they receive from CMA compared with CFC!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Valer Eugen Demian View Post
    Most of the teachers and coaches organize both cycles at the provincial level since they understand the value of each one. The difference is the amount of help they receive from CMA compared with CFC!
    That is an interesting position. Those from Ontario and Quebec might think differently, if they lived elsewhere.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Position vs reality

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    That is an interesting position. Those from Ontario and Quebec might think differently, if they lived elsewhere.
    This is not a position, but reality in BC. This seems to be the main problem now: the majority of governors come up with all sort of ideas valid for ON, while the rest of the country gets nowhere trying to be heard...

Personally I have been involved in organizing both cycles several times. I do that for the benefits of players because I believe the CMA cycle takes the young blood from CFC right where it matters the most. Accepting CMA to deal with junior chess in this country has been one of the worst legacy decisions we have to live with!...

Blog Entries

I think my position was that outside of Ontario and Quebec, I'm not sure if the other provinces receive considerable support from CMA (perhaps moral support).

In PEI we have a group of committed volunteers that only operate on the CMA side of the fence, and I suspect that is the same elsewhere.

Was this the fault of the CFC ? I don't know if it reallt matters. We could use our eneregy a lot better to try and get these kids playing CFC tournaments.

I find active tournaments (games are a maximum of one hour) are a good equalizer for mixing adults and kids.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast