Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 14. CFC Life Membership - Evaluation

Default Provincial Life Memberships - Some Available

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    Chris:

At present, ...no Provincial Associations have life memberships.
    Hi Fred:

Ontario has had OCA Life Memberships for a long time, though at times it hasn't marketed them, and its records on them are a shambles or non-existent.

Lyle has indicated that BC also has BCCA Life Memberships.

Are there any other provinces with provincial life memberships?

Bob

Blog Entries

Presumably, the Honorary Life CFC members would also get Honorary Life Provincial memberships ?!

In actual fact it's the BC Chess FEDERATION not Association.

I'll be happy to refer the question to the Ontario Chess Federation for comment if you prefer.

Not a big deal but...

By the way one of the better things the CFC has done in recent years is to strongly encourage the provincial affiliates to use chess.xx.ca (xx = BC, ON, AB etc) as their web addresses - it's easy to remember for the non chess playing public and avoids having to remember the full name of the provincial society.

Concerning Honorary members, there are many who never received these due to the fact they were already Life members. A good example is Jonathan Berry who qualified by being both a Correspondence GM and an International Arbiter - but under our rules any FIDE title holder (not sure about FIDE masters or Intl Organizers) have the right to be Honorary members.

It's never been officially determined in BC but we certainly regard Nathan Divinsky as such!

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    In actual fact it's the BC Chess FEDERATION not Association.

I'll be happy to refer the question to the Ontario Chess Federation...
    In actual fact it's the Ontario Chess ASSOCIATION not federation.

Sorry Lyle, I could not resist.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    Concerning Honorary members, there are many who never received these due to the fact they were already Life members. A good example is Jonathan Berry who qualified by being both a Correspondence GM and an International Arbiter - but under our rules any FIDE title holder (not sure about FIDE masters or Intl Organizers) have the right to be Honorary members.

It's never been officially determined in BC but we certainly regard Nathan Divinsky as such!
    GM, IM, IA are the only three I believe. I suggested at one point adding WGM but it was felt that IM isn't really that much harder....

I should note that sometime in late 2005 or early 2006 I specifically instructed the office to start collecting provincial life membership dues. Not long before the office went to doing not much at all, unfortunately.

Bob your response once again proves that sarcasm does not transmit well online!

My reference to the Ontario Chess Federation was in response to Bob's "BC Chess Association" when it is in fact the BCCF.

Of course I know that it's the OCA not the OCF and I apologize in advance for anyone who was offended by my deliberate slip-up!

Default life memberships

CFC rates have not increased for a long time. I would like to see CFC memberships at $40 per year up from $36. At current levels of membership and rates the CFC has no resources.

Life memberships are good for the CFC on many levels.

1) annual memberships need not be collected and processed anymore for life members.
    2) main ongoing cost associated with life members was the printing and mailing of the magazine, a cost which is much reduced after we went electronic.

The main issue with CFC memberships is the very high "churn rate", which is zero for life members. Churn refers to that every year 25% + or -5% is new to CFC chess.

A large portion of the 25%-30% of members that quit every year do so after 1-2 years as CFC members and about 2-5 tournmaments. Some come back after a break of so many years but many move on to casual chess, internet or quit the game outright.

Hi Lyle:

I'd second your motion: That the OCA be renamed the OCF !!

Bob A

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Lyle:

I'd second your motion: That the OCA be renamed the OCF !!

Bob A
    It's more like a federation than an association anyway, but that's way off-topic now, plus would probably cost to change the name.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast