Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 14. CFC Life Membership - Evaluation

Default 14. CFC Life Membership - Evaluation

Please post your report here

I was not aware that a committee had been formed, nor that I was Chair. The issue is essentially whether the CFC is in arrears with various provincial associations as regards the collection of life memberships. As I understand it, the CFC has been hit-and-miss over the years as to whether they submitted the provincial portion of CFC life memberships to the corresponding provincial association. The OCA is aware of at least one instance in which the CFC did forward a portion of the dues; however, historically, documentation on this end has been poor at best. It seems difficult to justify the pursuit of funds from the Chess Foundation of Canada with our records as they are, but, going forward, it seems reasonable to either have the foundation continue to forward the provincial portion of life memberships collected to the provinces, or to inform the corresponding association that a CFC Life Membership has been purchased, so as to allow follow-up on the provincial end.

Does anyone else think we should just stop selling life memberships?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael von Keitz View Post
    I was not aware that a committee had been formed, nor that I was Chair. The issue is essentially whether the CFC is in arrears with various provincial associations as regards the collection of life memberships. As I understand it, the CFC has been hit-and-miss over the years as to whether they submitted the provincial portion of CFC life memberships to the corresponding provincial association. The OCA is aware of at least one instance in which the CFC did forward a portion of the dues; however, historically, documentation on this end has been poor at best. It seems difficult to justify the pursuit of funds from the Chess Foundation of Canada with our records as they are, but, going forward, it seems reasonable to either have the foundation continue to forward the provincial portion of life memberships collected to the provinces, or to inform the corresponding association that a CFC Life Membership has been purchased, so as to allow follow-up on the provincial end.
    I would doubt that the CFC owes any provincial association dues based on life memberships. However, it probably would be a good idea for us to send annual notes to the associations concerning life memberships bought, so they can take whatever action they deem appropriate.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I would doubt that the CFC owes any provincial association dues based on life memberships. However, it probably would be a good idea for us to send annual notes to the associations concerning life memberships bought, so they can take whatever action they deem appropriate.
    Virtually none of the provinces have any real ability to collect their own membership dues (Alberta might be an exception since they have staff). Also, does the CFC *really* want to get into the mess of being forced to de-rate or not rate tournaments because players were not current on their provincial dues at the time?

I suggested to the current OCA Exec that they look into setting up a separate account with the Chess Foundation where they could stash Life Membership dues, much as the CFC does with theirs. Not sure what they think of that now.

The Foundation only collects CFC life membership fees. Their is no provincial portion and it is up to the provinces to collect their portion directly from the life members. A few years ago the OCA collected a one time Ontario life membership fee from CFC life members and I paid mine at the time . David Cohen was the OCA treasurer and I have a receipt from him. Their is no doubt that many life members have not paid their provincial dues and most provincial associations do not have the ability to easily collect these amounts either annually or as a one time provincial life membership fee. I do not believe that there is an easy solution to this matter and I am not sure what dollars are involved.
    Les Bunning

There is an easy solution to this matter - just stop selling life memberships!

Yes, Stuart, I'm with you on this matter...
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

A few years ago, the BCCF sold life memberships. There were about 20 or so but all of them have retired from chess. The funds were used to create a BC Chess Foundation that I manage for the BCCF.
    Regarding CFC Life Memberships, as the treasurer of the Chess Foundation of Canada I receive the proceeds and we average 3 or 4 new life members per year. Gordon Ritchie was the most recent one. Of course I support continuing the programme.

The selling of life memberships should continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Bunning View Post
    Their is no provincial portion and it is up to the provinces to collect their portion directly from the life members.
    Thus, the Life memberships (CFC and provincial) must be sold together, as normal ones are done.
    .*-1

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast