Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 04. Instructions/Questions/Comments on the On-line Meeting Procedures

Default Focus on the urgent issues

Bob A.

I disagree with the validity of your last statements. But we are not going to settle anything here.

I propose a truce. We should spend the last two days discussing issues of an urgent issue. The CYCC qualification system is far more urgent than this discussion. And other stuff like Stuart's proposal is far more interesting.

Can we focus on those for now. We can get back to this stuff next week.

Default Oct. 21, 2010 Poll on On-line Voting

The Oct. 21, 2010 Poll on the Governors' Discussion Board setting out that the majority voting were satisfied with the Board voting format, with a " voting pledge ":

View Poll Results: If a voting pledge is instituted, Board voting as exists now is fine.
    This poll will close on 10-28-2010 at 01:05 PM

Yes - Bob Armstrong, Daxin Jin, Fred McKim, Ken Einarsson, Michael Barron, Michael von Keitz, Nikolay Noritsyn, Rob Clark - 8 - 72.73%

No - Bob Gillanders, Garland Best, Ken Craft - 3 - 27.27%

Need more be said?

Bob

Hi Bob G:

I fully intended to keep being active in discussion, as I have tried to be to date, on the important issues, including this procedural one that deals with Presidential/Chair powers.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft View Post
    You fourth paragraph is unbecoming of a Chair of a meeting. If you want to go with your analogy, the system is more akin to the referee re-writing the rule book and the players refusing to play in protest.
    I think the President took a liberty of a clause with "etc"

"(i) The Chair will decide on procedural matters such as motions of order, when to close agenda items, whether to add items to the agenda after the deadline, adjournment, etc."
    .*-1

That clause does not grant "liberty".

Blog Entries

First of all, nowhere does it state that votes have to be confidential. However, I offered a simple and workable solution to get around this - which as BobA said, was never even responded to.

Second of all, it IS possible for Lyle to see who voted what, as I've stated several times, even if the poll was set to not show this in the results.

Therefore, the rules are being bypassed for no good reason. This is why I will not be participating in the votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    First of all, nowhere does it state that votes have to be confidential. However, I offered a simple and workable solution to get around this - which as BobA said, was never even responded to.

Second of all, it IS possible for Lyle to see who voted what, as I've stated several times, even if the poll was set to not show this in the results.

Therefore, the rules are being bypassed for no good reason. This is why I will not be participating in the votes.
    Chris - if you have solved the problem, the votes are confidential and we can get the vote results by governor, then that is good news. I must have missed your post or email where you advised me of this. Please repost or email me again. If I am satisfied that the problems are solved, I would be absolutely delighted to us the online voting system.

Sometimes the good news goes unnoticed amongst all the noise!

Blog Entries

Bob,

It's not that I've solved, it's that I know how. Since you didn't seem to be interested in using it, I didn't put in the 1-2 hours to modify the forum code - between a baby and 50 essays to mark, plenty else to use my time on.

If you would like me to go ahead and do it in time for voting to start, I'd be willing to do that.

Basically what I am hoping to accomplish is, if the poll has a certain flag (perhaps the word MOTION as the first word of the title), it will not display results to anyone until the vote closes (done automatically by the forum, or manually by Lyle or myself).

There are easier ways to handle it of course but this way produces the best long-term result. If I can't get it to work I can always just disable the results page link.

Thanks Chris.

I appreciate the offer to get it working in time for this meeting. It sounds like the outcome is not guaranteed, but likely to be successful. I would prefer that you be ready to fix any other problems that might occur. I note, in the last 24 hours, the board seems to be finicky. Double posts, slow loading, etc. Perhaps it is better to leave this fix until next week. Sometimes when you fix one thing, something else gets broke. We are in the critical last 2 days of discussion on some important issues, and I would like to hear your comments.

To keep everyone focused on other important issues (IMHO, more urgent) can be agree to fix the voting problem next week.
    Besides, I am sure you are also keeping very busy changing diapers.

Bob A offers a straw vote he took on abandoning the secret ballot in favor of voting "on the board", the president and I have done the opposite - and said why.

The whole point is to make use of whatever software tools that stay within our regulations and practices that go back more than a decade.

The software has to work for us, not we for it - how can this be a hard concept?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast