Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 04. Instructions/Questions/Comments on the On-line Meeting Procedures

Default The Nature of the Secret Ballot

Hi Lyle:

I didn't think by using the Board voting format, with a " vote pledge ", I was " abandoning the secret ballot ". My purpose was to make the Board voting " secret " like always - I am willing to trust the governors' promise on this, whereas you seem unwilling to do that.

Bob

Bob,

I would think, the creation of the Youth Olympiad Coordinator position is one more urgent issue.

Could you please second my motion to create such position and call it to vote?

Unless, of course, you think the Executive could make it after the Meeting...
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Unless, of course, you think the Executive could make it after the Meeting...
    I like that idea. Let's focus on the CYCC qualification rules today and tomorrow. We can decide on this later.

Blog Entries

I know the CYCC is important but I personally have grown just a little tired of dealing with CYCC motions at least twice each year since I became a Governor in 2004. And this despite it being by far the most successful official CFC event of them all, year after year.

If they were incremental improvements each time, fine, but it seems every year or two we get a completely new vision for how it should run.

For the record, when I voted for the current rules a couple of years ago, I was under the impression that the individual YCCs qualified to the Provincial YCC, NOT to the CYCC. The way it is apparently actually worded is just a joke and someone sooner or later will make a total mockery of it just to qualify a bunch of 400-rated 12 year olds to the CYCC just to make a point.

I recognize that this section of the handbook was likely drafted in the days of punch cards and tabulating machines, but it does give the President discretion on whether the votes are to be conducted on this board or by email. From Bylaw 3

PRESIDENT

4. The President shall be the chief executive Officer of the Federation. He shall preside at all meetings of the Assembly of Governors, or of the Board of Directors, when he is personally present. He shall exercise constant active and general supervision of the Officers of the Federation, and the conduct of its affairs, with the exception of:

(a) Those matters which are reserved to the Assembly of Governors or the Board of Directors.

(b) Those matters which have already been delegated to Committees appointed by the Assembly of Governors.

The President shall have full power to take such action in the name of the Federation, as he may in his sole discretion decide.

In matters where an immediate decision is not necessary, the president shall confer with the other Officers of the Federation, but as a matter of general policy only, and not so as to limit in any way his authority. In any matter covered by his general authority and not coming within the duties specifically allotted to any other Officer or Officers, the decision of the President shall override that of any other Officer.

The President shall exercise constant and active supervision over the chief employee of the Chess Federation of Canada (commonly known as the Executive Director).

Default Presidential Power in On-line Meetings Where Handbook Procedures

Hi Francisco:

Does he have discretion where another part of the Handbook specifically states the vote is to be on the Board ( Rules and Regulations, s. 22 A )? It's not like there's an ambiguity somewhere to be interpreted.

Just curious.

Bob

Since Bob G has indicated that failure to take Chris up on improving the Board voting format was inadvertant, and has asked Chris to do what he can and he'll consider it when he sees the final product, I will vote now ( though I still maintain the Board voting format as is, with a " vote pledge ", was quite an acceptable stop-gap measure ).

Bob

Default Please vote in the straw vote

Chris has said that an admin can see who voted which way in a secret vote.

Accordingly as a test of that I have set up a secret straw vote asking your favorite ice cream flavor that I hope to see who voted which way.

I've left it open for only 24 hrs (which is the minimum one can make a vBulletin poll) but will be closing it once I'm satisfied that an admin (i.e. me) can see the votes.

The bottom line is telling you all "the vote was 19-11 but I can't tell you who voted which way" won't cut it with the Governors nor with me.

Thanks for your help in this experiment - LC

Default Discussion is now closed on motions for vote

I did not spot Bob's instructions to close discussion on threads covering motions for vote until just now, but as per his instructions have now closed these threads (and deleted one of my own comments made after his request but before I saw it).

Voting continues until Sunday. Thanks to you all!

Default " Edit " button on the CFC Youth Committee Forum

Chris,

Could you please enable the " Edit " button on the CFC Youth Committee Forum as well?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123