Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 04. Instructions/Questions/Comments on the On-line Meeting Procedures

Default 04. Instructions/Questions/Comments on the On-line Meeting Procedures

Questions from Governors about the rules of this meeting are welcome here

Default No Editing of Original Post??

I have noticed that on making a post, there is then no usual " Edit " button. So if a poster wants to go back and edit out an error in a post, he cannot do so. He must make a new post on the correction. Is this deliberate? If so, what is the rationale for this?

I fear this will be confusing, where errors in original posts are left in for all new viewers to see, and get the wrong information. Only when they go on to subsequent posts will they realize that there has been a change.

Can Chris reintroduce the " Edit " button?

Bob

Just bumping this thread back up to the top to catch Chris' attention - he has made a couple of posts since my post on this thread, yet has not reponded to my question yet.

Bob

I note "en passant" that vBulletin continues to mark threads as containing unread messages where I have in fact read all the messages. I have noticed this on several occasions.

This is very strange.

Blog Entries

In protest over the voting taking place in a method contrary to the handbook, I will not be casting any votes at this meeting.

Default A Protest

I have to say that I agree with Chris.

I have argued vociferously before the meeting on the Governors' Discussion Board ever since Lyle raised his concerns about confidentiality in CFC voting at on-line meetings, that we could tweak the system, and that it was overall quite acceptable as slightly modified.

Initially I proposed a " Voting Pledge " to be confirmed by all governors in attendance by post, that they would not view the vote totals, nor the casters, BEFORE they voted. It was my intention to also impose the penalty that anyone not agreeing would have any vote of theirs nullified.

Then Chris advised he could disable the Prior View Option. No one on the executive responded to this positively - in fact I'm not sure if anyone even commented. So as far as I know, Chris did not pursue an improvement that went some ways to further ensuring confidentiality.

I also did a poll on the Governors' Discussion Board, and though voting was light, the majority of governors voting voted that the Board format voting with a voting pledge was quite satisfactory to them. Bob G and Lyle were the 2 who loudly argued against this. Also Bob G stated, and I challenged him on this, that there was insufficient acceptance by the Governors of Board voting. He presented no evidence in support of this.

Lastly, Chris correctly notes that the Handbook specifically states re on-line meeting voting, that it shall take place on the Board:

CFC Handbook SECTION 2 –Rules and Regulations, Article One, section 22A – Procedures for Governors’ On-Line Meetings:

1. The Meeting

( i ) Meetings shall be held on the CFC Governors’ Discussion Board.
    ( ii ) .....
    ( iii ) .........
    ( iv ) Motions will be passed during meetings, and such meeting extensions as may be required due to amending motions.

3. Role of the Posting Secretary

The Secretary, or his/her designated alternate, shall be made a Governors’ Discussion Board Administrator. S/he shall post the meeting agenda, discussion threads and motion voting threads on the Governors’ Discussion Board as follows:

( i ) ....
    ( ii ) .........
    ( iii ) .........
    ( iv ) Motions – motions will be “ stickies “ at the top of the page, and will only be used for recording governor votes. No voting on motions can occur until after 9:00 PM on the 4th, to allow for initial discussion, and the filing of amending motions. After voting on motions has commenced, there can be no amending of the motion. Motions voting closes at 6:00 PM on the 7th. Discussion of motions will be under normal agenda item headings.
    ( v ) Amending Motions – motions to amend a tabled motion may be introduced up to 6:00 PM on the 3rd. A discussion thread for them shall be started. They shall be voted on by the normal motion vote closing time – 6:00 PM on the 7th. Once an amending motion is filed, the main notion sought to be amended shall be temporarily closed, pending the outcome of the amending motion.
    ( vi ) Motion Meeting-Extension – where a motion has been “ closed “ due to an amending motion, as soon after 6:00 PM on the 7th as possible, the Posting Secretary will reopen the motion, or if amended, start a new thread on voting on the amended motion. There will be no longer be a discussion thread for the unamended motion nor a new one started for the amended motion. The meeting will then be extended to 6:00 PM on the 10th to vote on this motion(s) ( and for no other business ). Voting on this motion(s) shall be closed at 6:00 PM on the 10th.

CONCLUSION

I also, reluctantly, in protest, and an attempt to get voting this meeting back by Board Format, will refrain from voting.

Bob A

I'm torn between not voting at all in support of the protest or voting on this page.

Default Protest, Really?

For those Governors who are wondering what all the fuss is over, I would refer you back to 2 threads on the regular Governors Board entitled:
    1. Voting - on line meetings - Easy remedy
    2. Winter meeting - voting

To summarize, after the rules were written and approved, we discovered that the board did not allow us to both keep the voting confidential and get the vote results by name. Unfortunate indeed. Bob A. proposed that everyone promise not to look at the names until after they voted. A few governors said okay, a few said not okay.

Until we get the voting system working correctly (or get the proper approval from the governors), the Chair has ruled voting will be by email.

To Bob A. and Chris - your protest "I'm not going to vote then" seems kinda childish to me. Do you remember playing road hockey as a kid. The kid with the net and goalie equipment always threatening to quit and take his net with him when he didn't like the referees call. Would it not be more productive and adult like to propose a motion to confirm your claim that the governors are okay with it.

It is too late now to introduce new motions at this meeting. But we could hold an email vote before the April meeting to settle the issue.

I see my edit button is now working. Thanks Chris.

I would then add, It was not just Lyle and myself finding your solution unsatisfactory, but also governors Best and Craft.
    Clinging religiously to precise meeting rules and procedures seems inappropriate to me. We have discovered several problems to date and are working our way thru the "bugs".

A vote boycott to pressure the Chair is not taking the high road.
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; 01-19-2011 at 08:58 AM.

You fourth paragraph is unbecoming of a Chair of a meeting. If you want to go with your analogy, the system is more akin to the referee re-writing the rule book and the players refusing to play in protest.

Default What is the Status Quo re On-line Voting?

Hi Bob G:

I can only repeat - the evidence available is that the governors are satisfied by majority with the voting procedures in the Meeting Procedures, and the Board voting format, with a " Voting Pledge ".

No evidence has been presented to the contrary.

If you want to change the status quo, you should bring a motion to do so, and show the governors do want a change.

Bob A

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast