View Poll Results: I wish to take part in the January 2011 Online Governors' Meeting

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 78.57%
  • Yes!!!

9 21.43%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 02. Governors' Sign-in

Default Voting is now open

Ladies and gents,

Voting on this meeting's motions is now open. Please follow the directions in the 'sticky' notice for directions on how to vote.

Default Oops! Not yet.

Sorry Lyle. On another thread somewhere, I promised everyone to keep discussion and amendment phase open until at least thursday evening at midnight.

I should have posted it here!

Please close the voting booth.

Default Future Scheduling?

Hi Bob G:

Questions about scheduling -

Voting will start Friday, Jan. 21, at 12:00 AM EST, according to your last posted direction as I understood it. Until then, discussion on motions could continue, and amendments to existing motions could be tabled.

1. How long then will voting be open? - what is the deadline for submitting the vote by e-mail to you/Lyle? Is it going to be by Saturday noon EST, Jan. 22, exactly 7 days after the meeting started on Sat., Jan. 15 at noon EST?

2. Have you ruled that during voting, the motion discussion threads will be closed, and that no more amending motions can be filed?

3. Is your closing address scheduled for noon EST on Sat., Jan. 22?

Bob A

Default Jan. 19 Updated Governor Attendance

After 4 1/2 days of meeting ( Sat. Jan. 15 noon - Wed. Jan. 20, 9:00 PM EST ), we have now moved up from 58% attendance ( 35/60 governors ) 2 days ago, to 62% ( 37/60 governors ). So attendance increase has now slowed down to a trickle.

The record is the 2010 Fall Meeting where we achieved 70% attendance ( 42/60 governors ). It looks like we will not be able to equal that mark this 2011 Winter Meeting - a bit disappointing, given that governors have now had 2 successful prior meetings, and so know how valuable they are to current CFC governance.

Voting will start as I understand it at the moment, at 12:00 AM Friday, Jan. 21 ( by e-mail this meeting, and only by those who have signed in at the meeting ).

I fear however, that we may now have a problem.

Under the Meeting Procedures, voting would have started Tuesday night. But Bob G thought it best at the time to delay the vote start to Friday morning. What I have noticed though is a dramatic drop-off in posts since this morning ( Wednesday ). Yes there are, as Lyle noted in a post, a handfull of regular posters moving debate forward ( especially on the youth issues ), but the vast majority of governors signed in have ceased to post entirely.

Have they said their piece on the live agenda issues in the first 3 1/2 days, felt they'd done their duty as a governor, and now gone away?? Will they come back to vote in the early hours of Friday morning, and the time left before the voting deadline? I guess we'll see when the votes are counted, what the governor voting paticipation rate will be. I fear that the delaying of the onset of voting, though well-intentioned, and arguably sound at the time, may have hurt us - we'll see if my concern is warranted.

In the meantime, I'd ask again, that if you know a governor who has not attended yet, nudge them to consider it - it is, in my view, a key obligation in becoming a governor, to attend the AGM ( at least by proxy ) and all quarterly on-line meetings ( they last 7 days, and sometimes longer, and all should be able to attend at least once ). They still have time to read the discussion threads, or at least the motion ones, and make an informed vote. Voting is what their consituents elected them to do.

But I will not assume the task a second time, as I did the other day, of sending this post to all governors to encourage non-attenders to still come. I will leave that now to some other enterprising governor, since it is not being done by the Meeting Chair or Secretary.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 01-19-2011 at 10:16 PM.

Default Paucity of Posters

Is anyone else concerned about the fact that so few governors have been posting since Wednesday morning, given 38 signed in? It is only a few who are making multiple posts.

I imagine many governors who have little to do with youth chess, are leaving the complications of the CYCC amendments to those few governors active in the area. These seem to be the only agenda items still alive.

But still, the fact of the vast majority of governors no longer posting is worriesome to me. Has, as I suggested above, the discussion phase gone on longer than tolerable by most governors?

Bob

Blog Entries

I'm not personally concerned... it happens at the AGM in the same way... a lot of people make an initial comment and then it ends up being a discussion with 2-4 people while the rest sit and listen, content to have said their bit.

I can only speak for myself, but I have only posted on issues that I have vested interests in. Regarding the rest, I either do not have anything to post that I feel would add value to the conversation, or I do not feel strongly enough about the matter either way, and will only contribute in terms of voting on the weekend. I'm sure that others are like that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12