View Poll Results: I wish to take part in the January 2011 Online Governors' Meeting

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 78.57%
  • Yes!!!

9 21.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 02. Governors' Sign-in

Default 02. Governors' Sign-in

Please reply to the above poll to sign in to the meeting

Default Signing in

It's the wee hours of the morning, I am signing in to post a quick welcome message, then catch a few zzzzz's.

I will be back in the morning to post my other reports.

Bob G.

Default The " Constitutional Amendment " Quorum Problem

Hi Bob G and Lyle:

According to the " Members' List " feature of the CFC Boards, 19 governors attended the meeting yesterday, Sat., Jan. 15.

But only about 12 were signed in as of 11:59 PM EST.

Maybe a further plea to attending governors, to sign in is required?

Also, could you clarify whether a governor who in fact attends, but does not sign in, will be treated as " NOT attending "? Also then, will you confirm, if that is your intention, that any governor not signed in will NOT BE ALLOWED to vote ( however we do it this meeting - whether using the Board format, or e-mail ). I think this is really critical for governors to understand, because of the potential number of constitutional amendment motions. If we do it by e-mail, do they then require not only a 2/3 majority, but also a minimum quorum of 50% of the governors present at the meeting , or 30 governors! This will be very hard to achieve anyway, given turnout so far, and impossible if governors attend and don't sign in, and therefore can't be counted. All constitutional amendments are going to fail for lack of quorum.

This is one of the reasons Procedures' Committee tried to make it clear that the on-line meeting voting, like the AGM, did NOT require a constitutional amendment quorum. Is it your intention that any constitutional amendment motions in this meeting, have to meet both enhanced majority and quorum?

All this needs to be clarified, to put pressure on all governors to attend, and on those attending, to sign in.

Bob

Default Governor Attendance to Date ( 48 hrs )

After 2 days of the 2010 Fall Meeting, 57 % of the governors had attended ( 34/60 ).

Now, after 2 days ( Sat. Noon - Mon. Noon ), we have 47 % attendance ( 28/60 ). It is a bit disappointing to be furhter behind than our last meeting, given that governors have now had a chance to get used to the new format - we have not yet reached 50 %. But we did start on the weekend, and there were some governors at tournaments, and so hopefully we will now see these numbers rise.

It is my recollection that by the end of the 2010 Fall Meeting, we had achieved 70% attendance ( 42/60 governors ). Will we be able to equal, or break that record?

I would note that during the 2010 Fall Meeting, I, as Posting Secretary, sent out to all governors ( both those attending and those not ) daily bulletins ( 6 of them ) covering what progress was being made, what votes were coming up and generally encouraging those who had not yet attended, to consider coming. Maybe Lyle, as Posting Secretary this meeting, might consider a similar type bulletin or two to all governors, or at least those who have not yet signed in - just a suggestion - I think it helped boost attendance last time.

Bob

Default Governor attendance

It is a bit disappointing to see attendance down. Lyle does have a business to run. I think we need to keep that in mind.

Bob A. - there is nothing to stop you (or any other governor) from encouraging fellow governors to attend.

Default Governor Initiative

Hi Bob G:

I may not be the best one !

I've been advised on more than one occasion I send too many e-mails to busy governors ( with the implication generally that they are inconsequential or duplicative ).

Does somebody else want to take the heat for a while?

Bob A

Default signing in

I spent the weekend at the Ottawa Winter Open.

Why does my work impact what I do here more (or less) than anybody else's?

I'm assuming most of the people here are here once or twice a day rather than being here 24x7.... this was after all one of the selling points of this format!

Default Majority of Governors in Attendance

I note that we have now gone over 50% attendance ( 31/60 governors ) ! Let's hope it continues to rise as the meeting goes on. It would be nice to match the 2010 Fall Meeting record of 70% ( 42/60 governors ).

Bob

Default Updated Governor Attendance - 2011 Winter Meeting

After three full days of meeting ( Sat. Jan. 15 noon - Tues. Jan. 18 noon ), we have now reached 58% attendance ( 35/60 governors ). So attendance has slowly been climbing each day.

The record is the 2010 Fall Meeting where we achieved 70& attendance ( 42/60 governors ). Will we be able to equal that mark this 2011 Winter Meeting?

Discussion, as directed by Bob G, is to continue past the time set in the Meeting Procedures, to midnight Thursday, Jan. 20. After that, voting will start ( by e-mail this meeting, and only by those who have signed in at the meeting ). So there is still lots that can be accomplished.

If you know a governor who has not attended yet, nudge them to consider it - it is, in my view, a key obligation in becoming a governor, to attend the AGM ( at least by proxy ) and all quarterly on-line meetings ( they last 7 days, and sometimes longer, and all should be able to attend at least once ).

I will take a risk, and send this post to all governors ( sorry to those attending, but I'm not willing to take the time to try to set up an e-mail group of only those who haven't yet attended - so I apologize that you will get an e-mail you don't need ), to encourage non-attenders to still come.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast