Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CFC Website - Contractors Q & A

Thumbs up Re: Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders
    Brendan,

It is wonderful of you to come on our discussion board and setup this Q & A session. As you can see, we have many inquiring minds.

Thank you! It is very much appreciated.
    I wholeheartedly agree. This is very professional and much appreciated. The reasons given so far are lucid and well thought out.

Definite items on my wish list?

- Tools included to show games on the webpage.
    - Functionality on smart phones. (I'm an Android fan myself. Blackberry is too corporate, and Apple annoys me. The Flash issue is a classic example.). Imagine following games from the next Olympiad live on my phone!

Blog Entries

Exclamation Drupal 6 vs 7

Hello Brendan,

I would like to understand your decision to jump directly to Drupal 7 when the majority of the World out there has only jumped fron Drupal 5 to the more stable and proven Drupal 6. Also there's a considerable number of existing modules which have not been updated to work in version 7 (the development has not even started..), this forcing you to access a limited number of module options. Isn't this detrimental for the sake of jumping too far ahead? Upgrading from 5 to 6 and furthermore from 6 to 7 (when the right time comes) should be properly scheduled!

Could you still reconsider this decision?

Thank you,
    Eugen
    Last edited by Valer Eugen Demian; 01-10-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Default Drupal

Quote Originally Posted by Valer Eugen Demian
    Hello Brendan,

I would like to understand your decision to jump directly to Drupal 7 when the majority of the World out there has only jumped fron Drupal 5 to the more stable and proven Drupal 6. Also there's a considerable number of existing modules which have not been updated to work in version 7 (the development has not even started..), this forcing you to access a limited number of module options. Isn't this detrimental for the sake of jumping too far ahead? Upgrading from 5 to 6 and furthermore from 6 to 7 (when the right time comes) should be properly scheduled!

Could you still reconsider this decision?

Thank you,
    Eugen
    Hi Eugen,

I was worried about this too. The thinking here is that while Drupal is technically the best choice, from a usability perspective Drupal 5/6 are pretty rough for content administrators and are plagued with security issues. Fixing these issues was a big focus for 7.

That said, your concerns are definitely on-par with some of the internal discussion we had so we are still not 100% stuck on 7. (We have a bit of time to play with it before major roll-outs on this project.) Our experience in OSS (Linux, JS Libs, PHP Frameworks) is that things move incredibly fast, so you'll see a lot of module developers abandon support for previous versions rather quickly. The result is that it's generally not a great move sticking around unless you have to.

The team is on the consensus that we're going to *aim* for 7, but will roll back to a previous build if the requirements for a critical module demand it. We're all professional PHP developers with years of experience writing ground-up enterprise CMS frameworks, so it's likely we'll just make manual corrections where possible.

Blog Entries

Post Drupal 6 vs 7

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Farr-Gaynor
    Hi Eugen,

I was worried about this too. The thinking here is that while Drupal is technically the best choice, from a usability perspective Drupal 5/6 are pretty rough for content administrators and are plagued with security issues. Fixing these issues was a big focus for 7.

That said, your concerns are definitely on-par with some of the internal discussion we had so we are still not 100% stuck on 7. (We have a bit of time to play with it before major roll-outs on this project.) Our experience in OSS (Linux, JS Libs, PHP Frameworks) is that things move incredibly fast, so you'll see a lot of module developers abandon support for previous versions rather quickly. The result is that it's generally not a great move sticking around unless you have to.

The team is on the consensus that we're going to *aim* for 7, but will roll back to a previous build if the requirements for a critical module demand it. We're all professional PHP developers with years of experience writing ground-up enterprise CMS frameworks, so it's likely we'll just make manual corrections where possible.
    Based on personal experience as Drupal administrator on a few sites for the past 4-5 years I can confirm all Drupal versions (not only 5 and 6, but also 7) are plagued with regularity by security issues.

While the core modules are updated reasonable fast, the other ones (members' contributions) are not. There are fairly good modules not even in Drupal 6, however there are alternatives to go around...

It would be nice to have the custom work minimized to as few modules as possible.

Last but not least I have been puzzled from the beginning by the amount of dollars quoted for this website. Unfortunately my timing did not coincide with selecting the team responsible to maintain regular communication with you... Still the answers provided by our team (selection process, accepting the amount of dollars) were not very convincing. If you could share anything in this regard, I would appreciate it since I have put out of bidding Drupal websites in the not so distant past and could understand better than someone who did not until now!...
    Last edited by Valer Eugen Demian; 01-10-2011 at 06:10 PM.

Default In Response To Valer

Based on personal experience as Drupal administrator on a few sites for the past 4-5 years I can confirm all Drupal versions (not only 5 and 6, but also 7) are plagued with regularity by security issues.
    Drupal 7 was released just last week, I'm sure security issues will be found with it going forward. But it's definitely a considerable improvement and in terms of meeting the requirement for a 3rd party OSS CMS, to us is the best choice.

It would be nice to have the custom work minimized to as few modules as possible.
    Agreed, we don't want to break any upgrade paths on 3rd party modules where possible.

Last but not least I have been puzzled from the beginning by the amount of dollars quoted for this website.
    I can't comment much on pricing as that is determined by project complexity and value.

Blog Entries

Exclamation Replies

Thank you for your replies! I will follow up very closely all updates made available to us.

- Tools included to show games on the webpage.
    While it is interesting to read about Drupal 6 vs 7, however for chess persons would be more proper to discuss chess game / position viewers (or generators)
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Unhappy Drpual and chess

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis
    While it is interesting to read about Drupal 6 vs 7, however for chess persons would be more proper to discuss chess game / position viewers (or generators)
    OK, we can talk about that too. What kind of chess viewer is considered for the website? I am asking simply because I am faced with not very good options on my own Drupal chess website...

Today is Mar 15, the original target date. Fred McKim writes on "the other board":

"I am awaiting the final schedule from the contractors. I don't think we will have the site finished until the latter part of April. There is lots of work going on, though."

It would be nice to have an update from the developers, or the website committee.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12