Thread: 2008 Canadian Zonal/Closed??

Default 2008 Canadian Zonal/Closed??

Is there one coming up? If there was an announcement, I seemed to have missed it. Thanks.

Bob

Blog Entries

None as far as I am aware of.

Chris, Could you upgrade Ontario open to Canada Close. Are there any limitations?

Blog Entries

Well, it's a completely different type of tournament - open and closed. And virtually no time to find sponsors to make it anything decent. The best Ontario Opens have run with less than 20% of the budget of the best Canadian Closed.

Hi Chris:

As I understand it, the FIDE World Cup is next year ( last was in 2007, and it is every second year ). If there is no Can. Zonal/Closed this year, what happens? Surely Canada should send a representative.

I understand that FIDE grants great latitude as to how Zones determine their zonal champion. Could the CFC simply declare the top-rated Canadian our Zonal Champion for 2008 ( would be Kevin Spraggett ) ?

CFC would obviously have no funds to contribute towards the Can. Champion attending ( since their was no revenue-generating tournament ). But if the " Champion " was willing to pay his own way, wouldn't this be acceptable?

Bob