Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Canadian Open Championship

Default Another former winner joins us!

We are pleased to announce the participation of 1984 Canadian Open Co-Champion FM Brett Campbell.

Default PayPal accepted for payment

Canadian Open 2011 is now accepting payment with PayPal:

Registration - http://www.canadianchess.info/2011ca...n/registration

Default SwissManager

Serge,

There was a lot of interest in the Chief Arbiter position from excellent candidates.

SwissManager: thanks very much for this advice, we'll keep this in mind. I've only heard good things about it so far.

David

Default Chess Institute of Canada is pleased to announce...

Chess Institute of Canada is pleased to announce the participation in the 2011 Canadian Open Chess Championship of 2005 & 2009 Canadian Open Co-Champion Grandmaster Mark Bluvshtein of Toronto.

Default Mark Bluvshtein indicates he will be playing too...

Quote Originally Posted by David Cohen
    We are pleased to announce the participation of the following:

Canadian Senior Champion Ralph Deline

Canadian Under-8 Champion Joshua Doknjas

2010 Canadian Olympiad Women's Team Member Iulia Lacau-Rodean

Canadian Under-16 Girls Champion Alexandra Botez

Canadian Under-12 Girls Champion Jackie Peng

see: http://markbluvshtein.wordpress.com/...whats-to-come/

[Oops... my bad - David Cohen already mentioned this above...]
    Last edited by Kerry Liles; 12-14-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Default Inquiries resulting from our flyer

John,

Questions for the Canadian Open Chess Championship 2011 should be emailed to the official tournament email address:

2011CanadianOpen@canadianchess.info.

If the answers are of general interest, I will post them on CFC's Discussion Board. Anyone may copy them for posting elsewhere.

1. Clocks

Players are responsible for bringing clocks. Tournament organizers are not responsible for this. However, the Ontario Chess Association agreed to loan their clocks to the tournament! So, a limited number of clocks will be available for rental. Players are responsible for knowing how to operate their own clocks. Tournament directors can assist.

2011 Canadian Open Championship is not organized by the Organizer of the 2010 Canadian Open Championship. Therefore, some rules will be different.

2. Section break

Fairness in a section break is a matter of opinion. I chose the ones for the 2011 event. I think they are fair. It's up to potential players to respond by telling me if they like them or not.

3. Byes

The rules are clearly written and posted on the tournament web site: 1/2 point bye is only available if requested in advance of the tournament.

4. Dinner seating

I can't guarantee it, but I will make the effort to keep people together when they request it.

Regards,

David

David Cohen, IA
    Chief Organizer
    48th Canadian Open Chess Championship 2011
    Saturday, July 9 - Sunday, July 17.
    The Westin Harbour Castle, One Harbour Square, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    http://www.canadianchess.info/2011canadianopen
    2011CanadianOpen@canadianchess.info
    --------------------------

John Brown

I picked up the CDN OPEN flyer at the Hart House event last weekend.
    I have four questions and probably more as times progress.

1. Why do we need to bring our own clock when clocks were provided last year?
    You'll have more trouble with players as all clocks will not be standardized.
    I know my clock has a few things that you have to do if you want to pause it and I'm not sure how to set time penalties. Not to mention that the Arbiter and helpers would have to learn about many models of clocks.
    Sounds like to me that because the Junior Tournament in Richmond Hill
    may be using the clocks on the same day as the start of the Cdn Open
    that the CDN OPEN will not have enough clocks available.
    Was this an oversight?

2. Why is there sections of U 2000 and U1600 would not an U2000 and U1700 been a fairer rating break?

3. If a player gets burn out say around Rd 5 and has not indicated that they wanted a bye for Rd 6 in advance, will they still get a

1/2 point bye for Rd. 6 or a 0 pt bye if they have to take a bye in Rd 6. I'm indicating that when the player joined the event they did not know they would have burn out. I'm also indicating that the player with burn out does not have a score that could give them an advantage in the tournament. For me I would consider a 0 pt bye if that 1/2 bye would increase the player's chance for a better standing.
    What is the ruling on a Six Round Bye if not indicated in advance.

4. Last year the table seating was asked for in advance at the closing supper
    and yet some people did not sit with their friends as the organizers changed some of the seating.
    Now this time if we join a table in advance for dinner are the organizers going to switch us around?

Default A World Champion plays!

We are pleased to announce the participation of World Under-10 Chess Champion & 2010 Canadian Chess Player of the Year FIDE Master Jason Cao of Victoria, BC.

Default Chronos Touch

Quote Originally Posted by David Cohen
    John,
    1. Clocks

Players are responsible for bringing clocks. Tournament organizers are not responsible for this. However, the Ontario Chess Association agreed to loan their clocks to the tournament! So, a limited number of clocks will be available for rental. Players are responsible for knowing how to operate their own clocks. Tournament directors can assist.

2011 Canadian Open Championship is not organized by the Organizer of the 2010 Canadian Open Championship. Therefore, some rules will be different.
    If anyone is looking for Chronos Touch Clocks, I might have some for sale at $110 (contact me not later then June).

Andrei

Default Looking for hosts (accommodation) for GMs, IMs

If you would like to have a visiting GM or IM stay at your place during the 2011 Canadian Open, please let me know.

Thanks,

David Cohen, IA
    Chief Organizer
    48th Canadian Open Chess Championship 2011
    Saturday, July 9 - Sunday, July 17.
    The Westin Harbour Castle, One Harbour Square, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    http://www.canadianchess.info/2011canadianopen
    2011CanadianOpen@canadianchess.info

Default Canadian Amateur Co-Champion will play

We are pleased to announce the participation of Canadian Amateur Co-Champion Matthew Nicholson.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast