Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: YCC Qualifiers - Good Idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brammall
    Except the rules we have now say we need to charge $200...
    I was about to say the same thing... the current rules do not favour a small YCC. With the $200 CFC levy, and a $40 prize fund, the entry fee would have to be $60, and that's assuming the organiser works for free, obtains a free room, etc.

If I recall correctly, the current rules say the top three qualify for CYCC... so a 4-player tournament will qualify all but one player, and that's assuming all four are in the same age/gender category.

Then there's the question of ratings... it is likely that the strongest junior players from the very small provinces will not be competitive at a national championship... do we really want to inveigle unsuspecting parents to spend $1000 to send their little provincial champion to be cannon-fodder at CYCC.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brammall
    Except the rules we have now say we need to charge $200... when we will have zero players.
    Stuart,

Could you please clarify:
    Where do you see the rules that we need to charge $200?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron
    Stuart,

Could you please clarify:
    Where do you see the rules that we need to charge $200?
    Ah, yes I apologize, I misread one of Fred's posts on the governors board which refered to a minimum $200 to the CFC.

Michael, it is in the guidelines for YCC qualifiers (pablished in the 2010/11 Governors' Letter 2):

"Guidelines for YCC qualifiers for CYCC:
    CFC Agrees to:
    send 36 medals (3 medals for each of the 12 sections),
    send 36 certificates for the winners,
    send 1 CFC Organizers shirt,
    send one sack (16 pieces) of key chains as small door prizes,
    rate the tournament upon payment of dues.
    Organizer Agrees to:
    mention CFC in media and publicity,
    rate the tournament CFC,
    pay dues after the tournament.
    Fee structure between CFC and Organizer :
    After the tournament the organizer sends $6 per participant to the CFC Youth Program
    but must send a minimum $200 and only to a maximum of $400."

Do you want to say that it is just a suggestion?

Default How many players in total

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron
    What's why we need mandatory YCC qualifiers.
    Hi Michael,

How many players who did not participate in YCC went directly to CYCC last year? If the number is close to zero, then all this discussion to make YCC qualifiers is useless.

Also what are the rules for Canadian citizens not living in Canada, can they skip YCC and/or CYCC?

Is there a Governor position in CFC for Canadians living outside the country?

I compiled data from last CYCC:

Under 8 open
    4 non ON players - All 4 players went to YCC
    1 Canadian living in US - no YCC

Under 8 girls
    0 (zero) non ON players
    1 QC player

Under 10 open
    4 non ON players - 3 did not participated in YCC (one of them is World Champion, now ;-) )

Under 10 girls
    2 QC players

Under 12 open

5 non ON players - 4 players went to YCC (including Richard W. who was already invited player to WYCC)
    3 Canadian living in US - no YCC

Under 12 girls
    0 zero non ON players

Under 14 open
    3 non ON players - All 3 players went to YCC

Under 14 girls
    3 non ON players - 1 did not participated in YCC
    5 QC players

Under 16 open
    1 non ON player - he participated in YCC
    1 QC player

Under 16 & 18 girls (combined sections)
    0 zero non ON players
    2 QC players

Under 18 open
    2 non ON players - 1 did not participated in YCC (MB)

I was not able to find out if Manitoba and Quebec had any YCC tournaments. In total was 1 player from MB and 11 from QC.

Excluding those and 6 more living outside Canada we have 22 players from outside ON. Out if this 22 we have 5 who did not participate in YCC. Out of this 5, one is from MB (no YCC listed and the only MB player) and 3 are from Victoria (BC).

For Victoria players in order to play in BCYCC, they need to pay 2 nights at the hotel (around $200) + ferry (around $125). All is left is one player, maybe he was sick ?!

Maybe is something I don't get, is this just about Ontario junior chess?

Andrei
    Last edited by Andrei Botez; 12-01-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Adding data from 2010 CYCC

Default Potential for Ontario CYCC Qualified Juniors

My recent post on the confidential CFC Governors' Discssion Board, in their debate about the Implementation of the YCC Qualifiers:

Would it be possible for each of the leagues to organize 2 YCC's each? Perhaps:

Province-wide OYCC - Kitchener - Patrick McDonald ( he's done it in the past )

GTCL - I believe Governor Chris Field has in the past done a " Scarborough YCC Qualifier ". Someone inquired whether Yuanling's " Chess-in-the-Library " program might organize one of the GTCL's. Did Bob G say Mississuga CC was thinking of organizing one ( Mississauga has not yet achieved separation from the GTCL, and integration into SWOCL as far as I know! ) ?

SWOCL - Might there be two in South-Western Ontario ( Windsor; London )?

EOCA - Could there be one in Ottawa and one in Kingston?

NOCL - they already have one; could they hold one early and a second closer to the CYCC?

That would give Ontario 9 YCC's and potentially could qualify 324 juniors! And that's not counting the 12 highest rated who get seeded in automatically and the 36 local wildcards who do not have to " qualify ". We know all won't actually go to the CYCC, but how many might if they are proud of " qualifying "?

Even if each region held only 1 YCC, and Patrick the province-wide OYCC, that would potentially qualify 180 kids !

Bob

P.S. In order for all regional YCC's to get at least 3 players per group, it seems clear it will be necessary for the regional organizers to go beyond the exisiting CFC junior base, and entice non-CFC juniors into the CFC YCC tournament system.
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 12-01-2010 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Botez
    Hi Michael,

How many players who did not participate in YCC went directly to CYCC last year? If the number is close to zero, then all this discussion to make YCC qualifiers is useless.

Also what are the rules for Canadian citizens not living in Canada, can they skip YCC and/or CYCC?

Under 8 open

Under 8 girls
    0 (zero) non ON players
    1 QC player

Under 10 open
    4 non ON players - 3 did not participated in YCC (one of them is World Champion, now ;-) )

Under 10 girls
    2 QC players

Under 12 open

5 non ON players - 4 players went to YCC (including Richard W. who was already invited player to WYCC)

Under 12 girls
    0 zero non ON players

Under 14 open

Under 14 girls
    5 QC players

Under 16 open
    1 QC player

0 zero non ON players
    2 QC players

Under 18 open

I was not able to find out if Manitoba and Quebec had any YCC tournaments. In total was 1 player from MB and 11 from QC.

Excluding those and 6 more living outside Canada we have 22 players from outside ON. Out if this 22 we have 5 who did not participate in YCC. Out of this 5, one is from MB (no YCC listed and the only MB player) and 3 are from Victoria (BC).

For Victoria players in order to play in BCYCC, they need to pay 2 nights at the hotel (around $200) + ferry (around $125). All is left is one player, maybe he was sick ?!

Andrei
    Hi Andrei,

We need YCC in every province to encourage Provincial affiliates and local organizers to run more youth chess tournaments.
    We need YCC in every province to attract our young players across Canada to CFC competitions and CYCC.

I don't know answers for all questions, but we could always discuss specific situations on case by case basis.
    We have this rule:
    "1015. Authority of the Board of Directors:
    The CFC Board of Directors shall rule on any situation not covered by these regulations and shall have the authority to rule on any matter which is in dispute."
    and could use it in appropriate situations.

A few Canadian citizens not living in Canada who want to play at CYCC are mostly have personal rights to participate.
    In general, such players could qualify through YCC in any Canadian province.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Quote Originally Posted by Natalia Khoudgarian
    Michael, it is in the guidelines for YCC qualifiers (pablished in the 2010/11 Governors' Letter 2):

"Guidelines for YCC qualifiers for CYCC:
    CFC Agrees to:
    send 36 medals (3 medals for each of the 12 sections),
    send 36 certificates for the winners,
    send 1 CFC Organizers shirt,
    send one sack (16 pieces) of key chains as small door prizes,
    rate the tournament upon payment of dues.
    Organizer Agrees to:
    mention CFC in media and publicity,
    rate the tournament CFC,
    pay dues after the tournament.
    Fee structure between CFC and Organizer :
    After the tournament the organizer sends $6 per participant to the CFC Youth Program
    but must send a minimum $200 and only to a maximum of $400."

Do you want to say that it is just a suggestion?
    Yes, Natalia, it is just a suggestion.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong
    My recent post on the confidential CFC Governors' Discssion Board, in their debate about the Implementation of the YCC Qualifiers:

Would it be possible for each of the leagues to organize 2 YCC's each? Perhaps:

Province-wide OYCC - Kitchener - Patrick McDonald ( he's done it in the past )

GTCL - I believe Governor Chris Field has in the past done a " Scarborough YCC Qualifier ". Someone inquired whether Yuanling's " Chess-in-the-Library " program might organize one of the GTCL's. Did Bob G say Mississuga CC was thinking of organizing one ( Mississauga has not yet achieved separation from the GTCL, and integration into SWOCL as far as I know! ) ?

SWOCL - Might there be two in South-Western Ontario ( Windsor; London )?

EOCA - Could there be one in Ottawa and one in Kingston?

NOCL - they already have one; could they hold one early and a second closer to the CYCC?

That would give Ontario 9 YCC's and potentially could qualify 324 juniors! And that's not counting the 12 highest rated who get seeded in automatically and the 36 local wildcards who do not have to " qualify ". We know all won't actually go to the CYCC, but how many might if they are proud of " qualifying "?

Even if each region held only 1 YCC, and Patrick the province-wide OYCC, that would potentially qualify 180 kids !

Bob

P.S. In order for all regional YCC's to get at least 3 players per group, it seems clear it will be necessary for the regional organizers to go beyond the exisiting CFC junior base, and entice non-CFC juniors into the CFC YCC tournament system.
    Bob,

I think, it would be great if all the Ontario leagues will organize 1 YCC each!
    But I don't want to limit this number...

The more tournaments - the better!
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Botez
    Hi Michael,

Under 8 open

Under 8 girls
    0 (zero) non ON players
    1 QC player

Under 10 open

Under 10 girls
    2 QC players

Under 12 open

Under 12 girls
    0 zero non ON players

Under 14 open

Under 14 girls
    5 QC players

Under 16 open
    1 QC player

0 zero non ON players
    2 QC players

Under 18 open

Andrei
    Andrei: I would think you could simply hold a YCC in Victoria. It sounds like there is a very active group there, so I wouldn't think you'd have much difficulty raising the $200 minimum.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast