View Poll Results: Hypothetically, would you consider buying these books if they were to be written?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would consider buying Kevin Pacey games collection & Sveshnikov sac lines books

1 16.67%
  • I would only consider buying a Kevin Pacey games collection book

0 0%
  • I would only consider buying a Sveshnikov sac lines book

0 0%
  • I would not consider buying either book if they were written

5 83.33%

Thread: Might you consider buying books about...

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Default Might you consider buying books about...

This is a poll concerning the topics of two books I'm thinking of writing at some point. Respondents are asked if they hypothetically might seriously consider buying either if they ever were to be written, assuming the price of each was viewed as acceptable, based on the topic of each book.

The first idea for a book would be an annotated collection of my best games, with notes geared towards intermediate or higher playing strength readers (note: I am a 2300+ player, with a peak CFC rating of 2406).

The second idea for a book would be about three Sicilian Sveshnikov lines involving piece sacrifices against Black's pawn on b5,

(after 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 e5 6.Ndb5 d6 7.Bg5 a6 8.Na3 b5 9.Bxf6 gxf6 10.Nd5 f5),
    namely:

(1) 11.Bxb5, (2) 11.Nxb5 and (3) 11.Bd3 Be6 12.c3 Bg7 13.Nxb5 (note that the last piece sac can also arise by transposition after 11.Nxb5, or even 10...Bg7). The book's ultimate evaluation of these sacrifices would be that they are all playable, leading to either unclear or unexplored positions in the most critical lines.
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 12-27-2010 at 10:19 AM.

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Sveshnikov

My recommendation is to contact GM Rogozenko and propose him a deal. He is one of the best in the World for B33 and I am sure he can indicate what is valuable and what not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Valer Eugen Demian
    My recommendation is to contact GM Rogozenko and propose him a deal. He is one of the best in the World for B33 and I am sure he can indicate what is valuable and what not.
    I'll think about it. However, there is a certain attraction to being one of the few Canadian authors of any chess book, to this day. Plus, besides having my own original material (from a previous attempt at publication over a decade ago), I have already managed to put in serious doubt some Rogozenko analysis, merely using a computer, and not very deep analysis required either. No single GM's opinion is infallible, especially given that they have limited time available.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Pacey
    I have already managed to put in serious doubt some Rogozenko analysis, merely using a computer, and not very deep analysis required either. No single GM's opinion is infallible, especially given that they have limited time available.
    In case you'd like an insight on how 'even' Rogozenko can (apparently) slip up, here's what I've discovered about the coverage of a couple of lines given in his book "The Sveshnikov Reloaded" (Quality Chess, 2005), on page 133 (in Chapter 20):

After the moves 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 e5 6.Nbd5 d6 7.Bg5 a6 8.Na3 b5 9.Bxf6 gxf6 10.Nd5 f5 11.Nxb5 (punctuated "?!") axb5 12.Bxb5 Bb7 13.exf5 Rogozenko gives:

a) 13...Rc8 "The only trick Black needs to know is that after 14.0-0 Bg7 15.Qh5 the natural 15...0-0?! allows 16.f6!"(etc). Rogozenko makes no mention of the superior 15.Qf3, which has been known to theory (i.e. it's found in other books) for decades.

b) 13...Ra5 14.Qd3 Bg7 15.Qc4 Kf8! "This simple move, found by T. Horvath, neutralises White's opening plan" (etc). At this point Rogozenko analyses 16.b4 and 16.Bxc6, the former leaving White fighting for a draw, and the latter being better for Black. There is no mention of the obvious 16.f6 (Fritz) nor 15.f6 (Fritz) on the move before, where it is clearly a better choice than 15.Qc4.

Thus 11.Nxb5 is summarily relegated to the dustbin by Rogozenko (though to be fair, other books have followed suit, with this variation or that, and serious players have largely abandoned 11.Nxb5 long ago).

Blog Entries

Post Opinion

I'll think about it. However, there is a certain attraction to being one of the few Canadian authors of any chess book, to this day. Plus, besides having my own original material (from a previous attempt at publication over a decade ago), I have already managed to put in serious doubt some Rogozenko analysis, merely using a computer, and not very deep analysis required either. No single GM's opinion is infallible, especially given that they have limited time available.
    Have been playing B33 for years mostly by correspondence chess. This implies that I have covered lots of positions heavily analysed by others and on my own with help from the latest engines (not only Fritz). When I look at a new book review or read an existing book, I take everything with a grain of salt; no GM author gives away gems anymore in published books. They prefer to play them over the board in professional tournaments and publish them after!...

It is possible your analysis in particular lines is better, the same it is possible it has already been covered and solved by others. This is why I suggested to get in touch with him; he knows for sure!...

"The Sveshnikov reloaded" you refer to is already obsolete in several places, not only in chapter 20. It depends what target audience you want to have:
    a) players learning B33: your intentions could be too complicated for them;
    b) players with experience in B33: you could provide material already covered elsewhere.
    In both above situations this could have serious implications on how many books you could actually sell.

Blog Entries

It is possible your analysis in particular lines is better, the same it is possible it has already been covered and solved by others. This is why I suggested to get in touch with him; he knows for sure!
    Not sure that you realize it, but now you are saying that my research must at best uncover nothing more than Mr. Rogozenko's. My, you have such faith in foreign GM's!
    [edit: by research, I mean books, magazines, etc. I have (or will have) looked at, not my own analysis of the moves.]
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 01-06-2011 at 01:37 PM.

Blog Entries

Smile Pro athlete

Not sure that you realize it, but now you are saying that my research must at best uncover nothing more than Mr. Rogozenko's. My, you have such faith in foreign GM's!
    [edit: by research, I mean books, magazines, etc. I have (or will have) looked at, not my own analysis of the moves.]
    What I am saying is there's more likely a pro athlete with proven results has covered it in person or with the help of his hired support team. GM Rogozenko is not as foreign to me as one could think...

Blog Entries

What I am saying is there's more likely a pro athlete with proven results has covered it in person or with the help of his hired support team. GM Rogozenko is not as foreign to me as one could think...
    Perhaps you know him then?
    I had half suspected you might want me to transfer my B33 secrets to him, so that you needn't look at another book concerning the Sveshnikov, if I were to otherwise author one .
    [edit: incidently, would GM Rogozenko's support team have dug up old magazines, etc. from this part of the world?]
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 01-10-2011 at 08:05 PM.

Blog Entries

Smile "The Sveshnikov Reloaded" (Quality Chess, 2005)

Perhaps you know him then?
    I had half suspected you might want me to transfer my B33 secrets to him, so that you needn't look at another book concerning the Sveshnikov, if I were to otherwise author one .
    [edit: incidently, would GM Rogozenko's support team have dug up old magazines, etc. from this part of the world?]
    "The Sveshnikov Reloaded" (Quality Chess, 2005) - if you would really do a serious job researching that book, this exchange of messages would not be required. Partially your last question is answered in at least 3 different places in it...

Nobody asked you to give up any secrets!

Blog Entries

"The Sveshnikov Reloaded" (Quality Chess, 2005) - if you would really do a serious job researching that book, this exchange of messages would not be required. Partially your last question is answered in at least 3 different places in it...

Nobody asked you to give up any secrets!
    Very well, Valer

I am facing some technical issues that may require obtaining a better computer, if I were to author a book. That gives me more reason to consider consulting GM Rogozenko as you suggest, lest my ideas grow stale or appear in other people's games or publications meantime.