Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Under 16 Team

1. Default Canadian Under 16 Team

I am delighted to report that the Canadian Youth Under 16 Chess Team is in Istanbul on their way to Burdur Turkey, to compete in the World Youth Under 16 Olympiad to start on Saturday. Full tournament details are available here:

http://wyco2010.tsf.org.tr/component...page/Itemid,1/

The team consists of:
    Board 1 Nikita Kraiouchkine
    Board 2 Konstantin Semianiuk
    Board 3 Michael Ivanov and
    Board 4 Simon Gladstone

I am honored to be the Team Captain, and I promise not to assist in any chess coaching

Special thanks to the following corporations / individuals for sponsoring some of the expenses for the team:

The Fulcrum Investment Company Ltd.
    1405045 Ontario Ltd.
    Andrew Pringle
    James C. Morton
    Fabricland
    Pugi Fund of the CFC
    Chess N Math
    Art Printing Company
    Jonathan Tucker, CA
    Mendel Fishman
    Michael Serruya

I will keep everyone posted as the Tournament progresses. We are spending 2 days in Istanbul to tour and adjust to the time change.

Gary Gladstone

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gladstone
    I am delighted to report that the Canadian Youth Under 16 Chess Team is in Istanbul on their way to Burdur Turkey, to compete in the World Youth Under 16 Olympiad to start on Saturday. Full tournament details are available here:

http://wyco2010.tsf.org.tr/component...page/Itemid,1/

The team consists of:
    Board 1 Nikita Kraiouchkine
    Board 2 Konstantin Semianiuk
    Board 3 Michael Ivanov and
    Board 4 Simon Gladstone

I am honored to be the Team Captain, and I promise not to assist in any chess coaching

Special thanks to the following corporations / individuals for sponsoring some of the expenses for the team:

The Fulcrum Investment Company Ltd.
    1405045 Ontario Ltd.
    Andrew Pringle
    James C. Morton
    Fabricland
    Pugi Fund of the CFC
    Chess N Math
    Art Printing Company
    Jonathan Tucker, CA
    Mendel Fishman
    Michael Serruya

I will keep everyone posted as the Tournament progresses. We are spending 2 days in Istanbul to tour and adjust to the time change.

Gary Gladstone
    Thank you, Gary, for taking this responsibility!

A big thanks to our sponsors who made Canada's participation in this prestigious event possible!

All Canada cheers for our Youth Olympiad Team!

Good luck!
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

3. Default Tour Day

The boys and I left Toronto on Tuesday night. Nikita, coming from Montreal, was running a bit late, but all worked out and we made our plane from Toronto to Frankfurt. An uneventful flight, comfortable, and we landed in Frankfurt with 50 minutes to make our connection to Istanbul. As we're waiting in line for Security clearance, I ask airport personnel if we have time or if they would move us up, she assured me lots of time. As the clock ticked by, I again asked and she said I should ask people in front, if I could jump ahead. So, I went up to the very front, explained and was about to put stuff in a tray when another man comes yelling, he was going to miss his flight, how dare I go in front, etc... I told him to go in front of me, he made his plane. How do I know, because I sat with him the whole way to Istanbul - he was a nice fellow and we got along just fine

We landed in Istanbul and were met at the airport by the hotel shuttle driver, who took us in rush hour traffic to the Best Western Senator Hotel where we are staying. The city of 17 million people has just a bit of traffic, but we made it Did I mention that there was construction in front of our hotel, so we had to walk half a block. Nice clean hotel with exceptionally friendly and helpful staff.

We went for a walk around the hotel last night and stayed up late enough so we would sleep the night away and we started fresh this morning. The minarets calling us to prayer woke me up, but right back to sleep.

We went on a full day guided tour of Saint Sophia, built in 6th century as a church, then mosque and now it is a museum. Continued with Blue Mosque, Hippodrome and the Grand Bazaar. Exquisite beyond words. Anytime we'd even think of looking at something at the Bazaar, sales people came running at us to help us (take our money ) We also got to learn all about Turkish rugs, they are all magnificent, didn't buy any though, maybe in Burdur.

We had lunch with the tour, met a sales rep from Gucci in Italy and a nice family from Texas.

The afternoon was spent touring the Suleymaniye Mosque and the Topkapi Palace. The spoonmakers diamond was wonderful, but I didn't have room in the suitcase to bring it home, so I didn't take it. Lots of pictures and videos to follow.

We were wiped at the end of a great touring day, so I rested, the boys played and prepped chess and then we grabbed dinner at a restaurant near the hotel.

The boys are having a great time, chess and all and tomorrow we will sleep in a bit, then walk around the Bazaar near the hotel and then off to the airport, fly to Antalya and then get a bus to Burdur for the tournament.

I have just found out that the listing of players will be posted tomorrow afternoon on the tournament website.

(could someone email me an easy way to post photos on the board and I will try and do some later on, gary at gladstoneconsulting dot ca)

(could someone email me an easy way to post photos on the board and I will try and do some later on, gary at gladstoneconsulting dot ca)
    When you will write a message look for :
    Attach Files
    Valid file extensions: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf pgn png psd txt zip
    Manage Attachments

Other way: post photos on your favorite photo-sharing site, and post here links

and keep writing

5. Default Picture of the Team

Thanks for the fast response

From Left to Right:

Nikita Kraiouchkine Board 1
    Konstantin Semianiuk Board 2
    Gary Gladstone Team Captain
    Simon Gladstone Board 4
    Mike Ivanov Board 3
    Attached Images Attached Images

No parings yet on official web site. Garry, do you have access to parings, at least?

7. Default Pairings

We are in Burdur and all is well. There are 22 teams from 18 countries. Due to some last minute changes in board order and players, the officials will not release list of players or pairings until the officials meeting at 10:00 a.m. local time. - 3:00 a.m.eastern
    They should be on the website then.
    I will gladly accept any information from any sources to pass on to the youth, first round is at 4:00 p.m. local 9:00 a.m. eastern
    Regards
    gary

gary at gladstoneconsulting dot ca

Gary,
    I tried to send you an e-mail to following address gary@gladstoneconsulting.ca and received error "no mailbox here by that name".
    Anyhow, Mike should have 2 DBs: one is what we used to prepare to the games at WYCC, and the second one is WYCC itself. If he doesn't have it for some reason, please let me know.

Good luck.

We are in Burdur and all is well. There are 22 teams from 18 countries. Due to some last minute changes in board order and players, the officials will not release list of players or pairings until the officials meeting at 10:00 a.m. local time. - 3:00 a.m.eastern
    They should be on the website then.
    I will gladly accept any information from any sources to pass on to the youth, first round is at 4:00 p.m. local 9:00 a.m. eastern
    Regards
    gary

gary at gladstoneconsulting dot ca
    Gary,

In the first round usually play teams of different levels.
    Canada Team most likely will be in the top half and meet not very strong team.
    No special preparation is required - just good rest and good mood for the game.
    In the unlikely case that we meet Russia team in the first round - no special preparation is required neither...
    Just suggest boys to relax and enjoy playing the strong opponents...
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

The home page of the website is http://wyco2010.tsf.org.tr/ but there is no up-to-date information

The schedule calls for rounds at 10.00 and 16.00 local time, and they are 7 hours ahead of us, so 3.00 and 9.00 am EST. The technical meeting is on Saturday, and round one will be 9.00 am EST on Saturday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast