Thread: 2011 Canadian Open Bid

Default 2011 Canadian Open Bid

CFC President Bob Gillanders has announced that the executive has now accepted a Toronto bid for the 2011 Canadian Open ( details to follow ).

Under the CFC Handbook, this bid was " late " as not having been submitted at the July AGM. It therefore can be decided upon by the Executive. The governors only get to decide on late bids if there are " competing " bids.

( Kerry Liles had suggested we start a new separate CO thread to discuss it ).

Bob

Default The 2011 CO Bid Process

Hi Ken:

New Brunswick Governor Ken Craft has asked in another thread:

November 24, 2010, 10:40 AM
    Ken Craft CFC Governor

Were any other [ CO ] bids solicited?

My Answer:

I had suggested in my initial post on the confidential Governors' Discussion Board on " the 2011 Canadian Open Bid ", that if a " late " bid was submitted, the process should be for the Executive to give public notice of the reciept of a bid, and to set a deadline for submission of any other " late " bids, to allow for any possible other bids still in process of being prepared.

This was not accepted it appears. The Toronto Bid was submitted, and the Executive immediately started considering it. There was a post by Bob G. early on that the Executive had " accepted " a CO Bid. Later it appeared that it had not been finalized since some of the Executive had not actually yet responded re the vote for acceptance. I don't consider this would constitute " notice ", at such a late date, and for such a short period.

I'm not aware of them soliciting any other bids, but I understand Hal Bond was part of the discussion on the TO bid, and he indicated he would not be submitting his proposed bid.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 11-25-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Blog Entries

I think the reality of the situation is that we asked for CO bids to be submitted by Nov 4 (with final details by Nov 19).

We received one bid, from Toronto. It was contingent on winning the CYCC bid, so the President was able to develop a contingency plan (Guelph), should it lose.

The Toronto team was ultimately willing to let the CO bid stand without the CYCC attached, and the Guelph group agreed to drop any claim they might have achieved by this time.

That's it. The Executive confirmed they were satisfied with the terms of the bid and it has now been accepted.

Default A very interesting 2 weeks!

I see the spin doctors are busy at work discussing the last 2 weeks. How did the CFC do with regards to our rules and regulations, procedures, conflicts of interest, transparency, counting votes, and general competency? All things considered, I think we did okay!

In hindsight, one observation does gives me great optimism for the future of the CFC. Throughout the debate, I found an overriding theme from everyone involved. (and I do mean everyone) Governors, parents, executive, Toronto team, Richmond Hill team, and CFC members, to put the good of the chess community first.

Thank you everyone. Now, it is time to catch up on my sleep!

Speaking of spin doctors, Kevin weighs in on the last two weeks. http://kevinspraggett.blogspot.com/

Not all post-mortems are spin Bob g.