View Poll Results: Motion 2011-A, amending Motion 2010-03 (Life Gov./Activity Rule) should be adopted.

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 50.00%
  • No

8 40.00%
  • Abstain

2 10.00%

Thread: Item # 20 C - Motion 2011-A - Amending Motion 2010-03 - For Voting

Default Item # 20 C - Motion 2011-A - Amending Motion 2010-03 - For Voting

Item # 20 C - Motion 2011-A - Amending Motion 2010-03 ( Activity Rule for Life Governors ) – For Voting

Motion 2010-03 seeks to eliminate the “ life governor, with vote, without election “ system.

Motion 2011-A seeks to amend Motion 2010-03 in such a way as to keep alive the Life Governor system, but to subject Life Governors to an activity rule;

Here is Motion 2011-A:

Moved: Bunning/Craver –

Motion 2010-03, dealing with Section 6 of by law #2, is amended

1. by deleting from the current motion 2010-03 the first word “ deleting “ and substituting for it the word “ replacing “; and

2. after the sentences "The past presidents of the federation who have served as president for at least 2 terms. A term is that period between one annual meeting and the next", adding “ with the following wording: " The past presidents of the federation who have served as President for at least 2 terms and continue to demonstrate that they are active governors by attending at any one annual meeting over a 2 year period or commenting or voting on not less than 3 governors motions in any two year period or attending at least 2 on line governors meetings over a two year period. A term is that period between one annual meeting and the next. "

You are voting therefore whether to amend the main motion 2010-03 or not. If you vote for the amending Motion 2011-A, then motion 2010-03 will be changed to seeking to keep the Life Governor system, with an activity rule. If you vote against the amending Motion 2011-A, then Motion 2010-03 stays in its original form, seeking to eliminate the Life Governor system totally. Subsequently motion 2010-03 or the amended motion 2010-03 will then go to vote as well.

The statement posed for voting will be:

Motion 2011-A, amending Motion 2010-03 ( an activity rule Life Governor system ) should be adopted.

You will have 3 options for the answer: yes, no, abstain.

Voting on this motion closes at 11:00 PM EDT on Saturday, Oct. 9.

The meeting has been extended to Tuesday, Oct. 12 at 11:59 PM EDT, to accommodate this amending motion 2011-A, and the voting on the main motion 2010-03 or the amended main motion 2010-03, and motion 2010-04, if it is supposed to proceed too.

Bob

Default The Vote - Meaning

The Vote - Meaning

Here is part of the voting notice sent to all governors this morning, regarding voting on Motion 2011-A:

" Procedurally, the matter is being handled as one motion amending another. So the amending motion comes to a vote first. So Motion 2011-A, which seeks to amend Motion 2010-03, will be the first of the three motions voted on. It will be posted for vote tonight at 5:00 PM EDT ( advanced a bit from the earlier scheduled posting time ).

So, this is what your vote means:

1. A vote AGAINST Motion 2011-A – you wish Motion 2010-03 not to be amended, and to continue to seek the elimination of the Life Governor system,.

2. A vote FOR Motion 2011-A - you wish Motion 2010-03, by amendment, to instead seek to keep the Life Governor system, subject to an activity rule.

When is the vote on 2010-03 going to be held?
    The next online meeting?

Default Voting for the motion 2010-03 ...

... whether amended or standing as originally worded, will start on Sunday, Oct. 10 and end on Oct. 12 ...

(see the sticky on the progress)
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald
    International Arbiter
    International Organizer

Default Switzerland

As CFC President, voting on this motion is a lose-lose proposition for me.

The Prez needs to keep his list of "enemies" to a minimum

So I will play the Switzerland gambit and vote to abstain.

Hmmm.....a cowardly move, or a shrewd political maneuver!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders
    As CFC President, voting on this motion is a lose-lose proposition for me.
    I got an impression from reading about not-for-profit organizations that the President should refrain from voting, or to wait till the end and decide if his/her vote would be decisive (e.g. requires majority of 2/3, or necessary to break a tie). However, it is only a "good practice recommendations", i.e, the president has a right to vote in all cases. (and I think the CFC laws does not give the President the second vote to break a tie - need to check.)

update:
    "the President shall have a casting vote in the event the voting would otherwise be tied."
    Probably means that he has two votes.
    Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; 10-08-2010 at 03:33 PM.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't be against this so much except the level of "activity" required in no way meets my definition of the term "active" ..!

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Correct

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis
    I got an impression from reading about not-for-profit organizations that the President should refrain from voting, or to wait till the end and decide if his/her vote would be decisive (e.g. requires majority of 2/3, or necessary to break a tie). However, it is only a "good practice recommendations", i.e, the president has a right to vote in all cases. (and I think the CFC laws does not give the President the second vote to break a tie - need to check.)

update:
    "the President shall have a casting vote in the event the voting would otherwise be tied."
    Probably means that he has two votes.
    Yes, the President has 2 votes and uses the 2nd one only to break a tie.

Default Motion 2011-A motion amending 2010-03 PASSES

Ladies and Gents,

Voting is now closed on the Amendment and voting on motions 2010-03 and 2010-04 begins Sunday morning with voting on the motions ending 11pm EDT on Tuesday.

Thank you all for your votes.