Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Item # 25A - New Business - Canadian Chess News

Default Item # 25A - New Business - Canadian Chess News

This is a new agenda thread requested by governor Egis Zeromskis, and authorized by Bob G. Possible items of discussion are cost of the newsletter and timeliness of publication.

Default Is this a valid expense? Is this relevant in the year 2010 going forward?

Perhaps it is time to re-consider the late arrival of an online newsletter that is immediately out of date upon publication?

Tony does a great job -- but does the membership get sufficient value to warrant the continuation of this Project?

Did you know many members I speak to are not even aware of the existence of Canadian Chess News.

They figure En Passant went defunct and now they get nothing!

Blog Entries

As a CFC supporter I mention the CCN to just about everybody I run into at tournaments.......

Blog Entries

I'm not sure if this has been touched upon... but what are the legalities with printing it?

For example, could someone print a whole issue and take it to their club?

Blog Entries

Well, obviously any member is allowed to print one issue for themselves, after that there should be copyright issues.

Hi Fred and Chris:

I do a hard copy for each Issue of CNN, and we display it on our guests' table where we also put out our newsletter, history of Scarborough CC, some intenal club policies, etc.. This is as reading material for parents/guests.

Bob

I think Tony does an outstanding job but I also question the perceived value.
    Would it make sense to cut to 6 issues per year? I think we must honour the existing contract, but reviewing options ahead of time makes good sense.

When the printed magazine was cancelled there were many disgruntled members. Now we can at least point to the newsletter and say that a CFC member gets something tangible. The cost appears to be about $10 per member per year. Cutting back to 6 issues would probably not save a full 50% since there are likely at least some fixed costs.
    The biggest drawback I find is that I need a chessboard to follow the games. Is there a way of embedding a programme in the magazine that allows the game to be followed on the computer screen? I think that would make the magazine more popular.
    I think that if we cancel the magazine, we need to do this in combination with the idea in a separate discussion board that we do away with annual memberships and charge a tournament fee to replace the revenue. Then there would be less of an issue with "what do I get for my membership?"

I support maintining CCN as a monthly publication.

I agree with Ken.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast