Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Item # 9 – Tournament Director and Organizer Certification Program ( TDOCP ) Committe

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders

The first task of the committee could be to start a monthly column in CCN to educate our volunteers and members on the rules of chess and tournament play. Perhaps a quiz or a hypothetical dispute scenario to mediate. The answers would be in the next issue of CCN. Members who give the best answers are acknowledged. A contest. Have some fun with it.
    What I like about the thought of a seminar is the open dialogue between a group of arbiters of varying experience, facilitating a rapid exchange of knowledge and information. In my view, a monthly column in CCN would not have the same effect, though I would support it as a supplementary focus.

Excellent posting Chris..."to educate not to exclude" good foundation...Phil Haley

Blog Entries

Default Tdoap

This is a must to have and should have never been discontinued even for a brief period of time. Of course the wording can be as mild as possible. I think volunteers will welcome such move and feel more supported by CFC. Mentorship by province can be done in hierarchical order; who wouldn't want to learn more from experienced TDs either first hand or by phone/ email?

I would be interested in this committee too.

I have been a certified director for 25 years and found it an important element in my education as a CFC certified TD and my advancement to FIDE International Arbiter.

I agree in the strongest possible terms that the program never should have been given such a low priority but we cannot change history. My personal opinion is that the program nicely mirrors the level 1, level 2, level 3 system for referees adopted by several sports organizations in Canada. Having such a system in place and working (which I do not think it is at present) is an important part for our recognition as a sporting body.

I lean towards making it mandatory for organizers holding FIDE rated and provincial and national events. This would be the equivalent of the level 2 and 3 refereeship.

Other than those points I line up pretty much with Christopher in his first comment on this subject on all points.

Two final points - (1) I have long felt it should not be possible for a person to qualify as a FIDE Arbiter or International Arbiter without simultaneously qualifying as a CFC National Tournament Director

(2) the list of arbiters by province should feature prominently on the CFC website (I'm thinking of something along the lines of what FIDE has on www.fide.com) and TDs should be encouraged to advertise their credentials as part of their tournament ads.

One other item I failed to mention is that some years back the French Chess Federation produced a training course for directors which with my limited reading ability in French looked pretty gosh-darned good.

I have heard that the FQE has adapted some of the French materials to their own use.

Perhaps another Governor more fluent in Canada's other official language could care to comment on this?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123