Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Item # 13 - The CFC Youth Program ( 2010 WYCC/CYCC ) – Operation

Default Item # 13 - The CFC Youth Program ( 2010 WYCC/CYCC ) – Operation

Item # 13 - The CFC Youth Program ( 2010 WYCC/CYCC ) – Operation

The introductory post is by Michael Barron, Youth Coordinator.

We had successful CYCC in Windsor this year.
    Big thanks to John Coleman, Patrick McDonald and their team for this event!
    For WYCC to be held in Greece October 19-31 we have registered 25 players:
    The official Canadian representatives:
    Open U18: Aman Hambleton
    Open U16: Roman Sapozhnikov
    Open U14: Tanraj S. Sohal
    Open U12: Guannan Terry Song
    Open U10: Yuan Chen Zhang
    Open U08: Joshua Doknjas
    Girls U18: Marguerite Fan Yang
    Girls U16: Alexandra Botez
    Girls U14: Regina-Veronicka Kalaydina
    Girls U12: Jackie Peng
    Girls U10: Kelly Wang
    Girls U08: Andrea Botez

Additional players:
    Open U16: Jerry Xiong
    Open U16: Michael Kleinman
    Open U14: David Itkin
    Open U12: Edward Song
    Open U12: Mark Plotkin
    Open U12: John Doknjas
    Open U10: Jason Cao
    Open U10: Joseph Bellissimo
    Girls U14: Rebecca Giblon
    Girls U12: Melissa Giblon
    Girls U10: Minya Bai
    Girls U10: Janet Peng
    Girls U08: Nicole Birarov

Team Coach: correspondence IM Vladimir Birarov,
    Head of Delegation: Andrei Botez,
    2 Journalists: Andrew Giblon and Victoria Doknjas.

The criteria employed for additional players selection are:

1. Finish 2nd or 3rd at CYCC,
    2. Highest rated player in a category,
    3. Sibling of an invited player,
    4. At the discretion of CFC Executive/Youth committee.

All additional players cover all their expenses by themselves.
    Unfortunately, the selection procedure is not described clearly in the CFC Handbook, and that caused some controversy.
    I would like to ask an advice from the Assembly of Governors:
    How should we update the CFC Handbook to make it clear?

Michael, can you expand on criterion number 3 (sibling of an invited player)? Are there some minimum rating/experience requirements tied to this, or can some child that has barely touched the pieces potentially compete under this scenario?

I see this as ambitious and worthwhile.
    Bob Armstrong's analysis suggests that it will most likely be revenue-positive. It will be important to monitor and do everything possible to maintain participation close to current level. What was the participation in 2010?

One question: using the international time control is important. It gives our players experience with it, including those who will represent Canada. I do not think that a one-day option at 30 minutes per player should be included. At least a full week-end or equivalent is more appropriate. I don't think players travelling a long distance, many with their parents, will appreciate a one-day rushed event.
    Last edited by Christopher Field; 10-01-2010 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael von Keitz
    Michael, can you expand on criterion number 3 (sibling of an invited player)? Are there some minimum rating/experience requirements tied to this, or can some child that has barely touched the pieces potentially compete under this scenario?
    Michael,

I don't think we need some minimum rating/experience requirements tied to this - I believe, we could rely on parents' common sense.
    The siblings could participate at WYCC as accompanying persons - in any case this event could be a great inspirational experience for young players.
    For example, this year little Neil Doknjas and Alon Birarov will go to WYCC, but won't play. I hope, they both could be a good addition to Canadian Team in future years...
    The only formal requirements - the siblings have to be CFC members in good standing and CYCC players.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Field
    I see this as ambitious and worthwhile.
    Bob Armstrong's analysis suggests that it will most likely be revenue-positive. It will be important to monitor and do everything possible to maintain participation close to current level. What was the participation in 2010?

One question: using the international time control is important. It gives our players experience with it, including those who will represent Canada. I do not think that a one-day option at 30 minutes per player should be included. At least a full week-end or equivalent is more appropriate. I don't think players travelling a long distance, many with their parents, will appreciate a one-day rushed event.
    Christopher,

For YCC qualifiers discussion we have a separate thread # 14 - please post your question there.
    For CYCC, of course, the international time control is necessary.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Default Youth Olympiad

Dear Governors,

I would like to clarify:
    The CFC Youth Program includes not only WYCC/CYCC, but other international youth competitions as well.

In particular, please pay attention to World Youth Under-16 Olympiad:
    http://wyco2010.tsf.org.tr/

We're planning to send Canadian Team this year - first time ever!
    Gary Gladstone agreed to take responsibility for this project and serve as a Team Captain.
    We have 3 confirmed players:
    Nikita Kraiouchkine
    Konstantin Semianiuk
    Simon Gladstone

TCF will provide free board and lodging for a team of 4 players, but travel expenses should be paid by the players themselves.
    Unfortunately, unclear situation with the CFC charitable status has undermined our fundraising campaign, and total cost of participation is about $1,700 per player - according to Gary's estimate.

Unfortunately, family of Arthur Calugar (4th interested player) can't afford it.
    So, we're urgently looking for replacement.

We need your help to find a replacement for Arthur:
    Please contact youth players in your province who are eligible and could be interested and let them know about this opportunity.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron
    the siblings have to be CFC members in good standing and CYCC players.
    Under the new regulations, if the sibling is required to be a participant in the CYCC, that seems to assure some level of quality. I think you have put my fears to rest.

Blog Entries

Default Perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Michael von Keitz
    Under the new regulations, if the sibling is required to be a participant in the CYCC, that seems to assure some level of quality. I think you have put my fears to rest.
    This is a very good provision!

On an emotional level I understand allowing siblings of qualifiers to participate at the WYCC. There are caveats however.
    It must be UNIFORMALLY applied. This means all CYCC playing siblings of qualifiers must be allowed to go or it becomes a political disaster with parents. It should not depend on who they know or what province they are from.
    There is already potential for problems, little Joe Smith ranked 9th and participates but 4th ranked player(who is an only child) cannot participate at the WYCC.

I don't see how it matters all that much if the CFC is not funding these additional kids and as said, there's the issue of playing politics with parents.

I think it's positively dumb to include unqualified kids in this way but as a parent I think I understand the thinking.

As long as FIDE or the WYCC organizers are not making waves this is one boat we should not rock.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast