Thread: Complaints re. CFC Youth program

Default Complaints re. CFC Youth program

To CFC officials, organizers, players, and parents:

An investigation into complaints directed at the CFC Youth program

Recently, I have received complaints from several parents and organizers regarding the selection process for invited players and team officials to the WYCC. I made a promise to investigate. I have communicated by email or phone with over a dozen officials and parents in the past week. It has been a very long week indeed. With each new person, I found another new and unique perspective, another interpretation of our rules and practices. It has been a real challenge to integrate it all into one cohesive reality. I would like to share with everyone my findings and thoughts. If you find this report lacking in specific detail, please understand that many of my conversations were conducted on a confidential basis.

CFC Youth Coordinator

This is one of the most demanding positions on the CFC Executive. We expect a lot from our Youth Coordinator which involves long hours, making arrangements for both national and international competitions, making difficult decisions, dealing with complaints, and all on a volunteer basis. Michael is a tireless advocate for youth chess. He stepped forward again this year to volunteer, when nobody else did. It is important to acknowledge these facts as we address the criticisms.

CYC Youth Committee

This committee was formed last year by Michael to encourage participation from parents and youth organizers. It is not an official CFC committee with elected members and decision making powers. It serves as an advisory board only to the Youth Coordinator. The decision making power remain with the CFC Youth Coordinator and CFC Executive.

The committee was formed with the best of intentions, but the follow thru has been poor. There is little evidence of effective two way communication as a committee. Improvement is necessary.

The current members of the committee are: Michael Barron (chair), Ellen Nadeau, Patrick McDonald, Roman Pelts, Vlad Birarov, and Rene Preotu.

WYCC – invited players

My earlier comments on this board regarding eligibility remain valid. I would add that we are cursed by the fact that these rules and practices are not clearly defined anywhere. This leads to very valid complaints. The optics are terrible.

While some of my decisions would likely have been different, I believe Michael has acted with the best interests of the team in mind. I am certain no one really wants to undertake the distasteful task of uninviting a player. What we need to do now is ensure that we have clear and transparent rules for next year.

WYCC – team officials

The choice of Andrei as Head of Delegation has my full support. I have heard nothing but high praise for his efforts from last year when he served as Head of Delegation.

While Head of Delegation maybe the only team official, there are many tasks available for parents who are willing to volunteer. I have been encouraged by trusted sources to find a volunteer role for Xuekun (who also campaigned for Head of Delegation), as she will make a valuable contribution to the team.

Recommendations

Effective management of our Youth program is vital to the overall health of the CFC. We need to review the whole CYCC/WYCC program. We have so many competing viewpoints and opinions, my head is spinning.

So where do we go from here? We need a process of review that is open and transparent, we need clear rules to follow, procedures to enforce them, and effective methods of communication.

I will ask the CFC Youth Committee to begin the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders
    So where do we go from here? We need a process of review that is open and transparent, we need clear rules to follow, procedures to enforce them, and effective methods of communication.

I will ask the CFC Youth Committee to begin the process.
    Had you set a deadline for the new rules/procedure?

Blog Entries

Post Simplicity

The main goal should be to have a simple to understand and follow process. However in order to begin working toward that, we need to establish what are the most important aspects to consider.

CFC Youth Coordinator
    A person in this position would be a sacrificial lamb with the current rules qualifying for various international tournaments (WYCC, NAYCC, PanAm, etc). Suggestion: rules to be revised, finalized and voted by Jan 1st, 2011.

WYCC - invited players
    Is it just me thinking this can be solved easily with reasonable, logical decisions? Here are some guidelines for discussions as I see them:

a) A player should always be able to participate in tournaments it has qualified for;

b) If the qualified player refuses participation, the next in line from the final standings of the qualifying tournament should be invited;

c) A player not participating at the nationals (CYCC) but having the highest rating in their respective age group must advise CFC in advance of the exceptional circumstances forbidding its participation (in case they still desire to represent Canada at WYCC, NAYCC, PanAm, etc. CFC should have the right to accept or refuse such request on a case by case basis;

d) If a player has participated at CYCC and desires (plus has own funds) to join team Canada, that should be analysed and decided by CFC on a case by case basis;

e) Requests for volunteering (are they really volunteering...) in positions such as Head of Delegation should be carefully examined each time. No matter what anyone says particular aspects such as: where the WYCC will take place and if a portion of travel expenses will be reimbursed, will always create debates. Example: controversy this year for going to Greece, compared with the opposite case a few years back for destinations such as Vietnam or Georgia.

Parents, coaches and players will always be biased and emotional. Mistakes could be made until a working solution is found. However something must be done and quite fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Valer Eugen Demian
    c) A player not participating at the nationals (CYCC) but having the highest rating in their respective age group must advise CFC in advance of the exceptional circumstances forbidding its participation (in case they still desire to represent Canada at WYCC, NAYCC, PanAm, etc. CFC should have the right to accept or refuse such request on a case by case basis;
    I think that some players not participating at CYCC, but they have wonderful perform at FIDE rating tournament who(own expense) still have right to participating WYCC , NACC and PanAm, etc. Not only highest CFC rating.
    Last edited by jack qian; 08-22-2010 at 12:58 PM.

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Cycc

Quote Originally Posted by jack qian
    I think that some players not participating at CYCC, but they have wonderful perform at FIDE rating tournament who(own expense) still have right to participating WYCC , NACC and PanAm, etc. Not only highest CFC rating.
    CYCC should be the most important tournament for any junior up to 18 years of age. Participating there should be a matter of respect and pride for any player. Once anyone passes 18 years of age they can play in any FIDE rated tournaments they wish.

It is a matter of principle: you should not only take away from CFC when it suits you, but also give back a little. Playing at CYCC is a small price to pay for someone who is really interested to represent Canada internationally.

I think the approach of not allowing to young players who didn't finish 1, 2 or 3 at CYCC to participate at WYCC doesn't serve the best interest of Canadian chess. This year youth coordinator Michael Barron changed those restrictions and got a lot of negative reactions. This year is over. Here I want to share my thoughts about this issue.
    The only logical reason for those restrictions is to lift the importance of CYCC.
    I accept this point, I think CYCC is the main youth tournament in Canada. That's why patricipation at CYCC should be the most important condition to WYCC. As far as I know all but one "additional players" did participate in Windsor. So what is the problem to CFC to allow them to play in Greece?

Possible concern to CFC could be chess level of players. Nobody wants to see
    Canadian player with 1 of 11 at WYCC at last place. But I have to say: I don't see anyone among "additional" players with such a bad performance.

For next years I suggest "rating floor" for additional players. Something like
    0 for under 8, 1400 for under 10, 1700 for under 12, 1900 for under 14, 2100 for under 16, 2300 for under 18. Probably 300 points less for girls. Of course 2 and 3-rd place can participate without any rating floor.

I believe the highest rated player should be allowed to play at WYCC without playing at CYCC. CYCC is usually a well-organized and attractive tournament and also a good opportunity for top players to compensate all his (or her) expenses for WYCC. The difference between the champion and "additional" player is about 2700 CAD. Enough to play for it. So if top player doesn't play that's because he just cann't do it. CFC doesn't need to punish him twice.

I believe rule changes should be approved by CFC executives well before the start of the next WYCC campain. Everyone involved should know them. This can avoid dissappointments like those we've seen here, on this forum.

CYCC should be the most important tournament for any junior up to 18 years of age. Participating there should be a matter of respect and pride for any player. Once anyone passes 18 years of age they can play in any FIDE rated tournaments they wish.
    In this day of 10 year olds earning IM titles and 12 year olds earning GM titles, I think this is totally unrealistic, not to say chauvanistic.

If there is a conflict between earning a Canadian Youth championship and earning an FM, IM, or GM norm no one with any sense will go to the Canadian event. And no one should gainsay them. Those who do, in my opinion, are merely being patronizing.

This is like demanding that a Canadian who someday earns a shot at a world title should forgoe it and instead play in the Canadian championship instead.

Blog Entries

Post Canadian titles

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Seedhouse
    In this day of 10 year olds earning IM titles and 12 year olds earning GM titles, I think this is totally unrealistic, not to say chauvanistic.

If there is a conflict between earning a Canadian Youth championship and earning an FM, IM, or GM norm no one with any sense will go to the Canadian event. And no one should gainsay them. Those who do, in my opinion, are merely being patronizing.

This is like demanding that a Canadian who someday earns a shot at a world title should forgoe it and instead play in the Canadian championship instead.
    I am surprised by your position. A federation is a body promoting that sport in the country and offering opportunities to the best for success. Why is it chauvanistic to ask for a small return back? You should know that only taking out would eventually result in reaching the bottom of the pit and no more take outs...

Strong juniors have the whole life in front of them to earn international recognition (titles, ratings, trophies, etc). The true strong ones have no problem in coming back to the roots and playing locally; you can find several names of titled players who do that on a regular basis and this includes Canadians. Why is this a problem?

This is one point where actually "Chess and Math" is above CFC: visit any national final and see how many strong players (with international credentials) each province has in their line-up. If you do that you will see which one wins the most and takes the true approach to chess. Also it gives prestige and raises interest for the competition.

Example you can relate to: Louie Jiang did not play for team BC as long as he was a top player in our province. Surprise, surprise he was actually a happy member of team Quebec when he moved there with his family... Why is that in your opinion?

Example you can relate to: Louie Jiang did not play for team BC as long as he was a top player in our province. Surprise, surprise he was actually a happy member of team Quebec when he moved there with his family... Why is that in your opinion?
    I have no opinion because I have no reliable data. Nor do I care to find out because I am happy for him to do whatever he likes. Ask him why if you want to know.