Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: World Youth Chess Championship

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron
    Dear Chess Friends,

Time is running quickly, and we have to select Head of Delegation.

I would like to thank Xuekun Xing for volunteering for this important for the entire delegation position.
    The more volunteers are willing to help - the better!

After due consideration of the candidates according to the posted criteria, the CFC Youth Committee has determined that Andrei Botez best meets those criteria, and has re-confirmed the selection of Andrei as Head of Delegation. Andrei has re-confirmed his acceptance.
    We would encourage all parents, and especially those who might be interested in fulfilling team roles in the future, to observe and assist Andrei and Vlad, and to help build a positive team spirit.

Good luck at the WYCC!
    Michael,
    Again you say "the CFC Youth Committee has determined" ... I am sure that you asked me to sit on this youth committee, yet I never heard anyone asking me my opinion ??
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald
    International Arbiter
    International Organizer

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bevand
    Hi Jack,

Canada (the CFC) can send as many players as they want.

The host Federation pays for 1 player per section per country. Each country has rules to determine who will represent that country. For the host country...more players means more dollars...tis very simple...

I have seen situations where a parent went directly to the host country (bypassing the National Federation and FIDE) saying hey...I want my youngster to play at the WYCC...and I am willing to pay...

So the solution is simple Jack.....speak on the phone with the powers to be...and...you will get what you want...talking in public only reduces your chances...

Me bad

Larry
    WYCC is far away. My skill is not meet. WYCC,bye
    Last edited by jack qian; 08-10-2010 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coleman
    Not withstanding that WYCC is an open event (anyone can enter, thru their national federation), I believe if we are going to have a qualifying tournament, then "extra players" should have to make a very good case indeed. VERY good.

I am no longer a member of the Youth Committee, so I don't know what arguments and persuasions were brought forward.

For the record, these are the placings of the "additional players" at CYCC Windsor 2010.

Additional players:
    Boys u-16 Jerry Xiong (tie 3rd)
    Boys u-16 Michael Kleinman (tie 3rd)
    Boys u-14 David Itkin (4th)
    Boys u-12 Edward Song (tie 1st)
    Boys u-12 John Doknjas (tie 12th)
    Boys u-10 Jason Cao (tie 1st)
    Boys u-10 Joseph Bellissimo (didn't play at CYCC)
    Girls u-14 Rebecca Giblon (tie 2nd)
    Girls u-12 Melissa Giblon (3rd)
    Girls u-10 Minya Bai (2nd)
    Girls u-10 Janet Peng (tie 4th)
    Girls u-08 Nicole Birarov (tie 2nd)
    Girls u-08 Catherine Gao (tie 2nd)
    based on Andrei's Canadian Youth Team blog , update Boys u-12 Mark Plotkin(tie 9th)
    Last edited by jack qian; 08-11-2010 at 11:00 AM.

Default Updated WYCC delegation list

Quote Originally Posted by jack qian
    based on Andrei's Canadian Youth Team blog , update Boys u-12 Mark Plotkin(tie 9th)
    Thank you, Jack!

Last week I was busy preparing necessary registration documents and didn't have a chance to post an updated list here.

Indeed, Mark Plotkin joined the team, and Catherine Gao, unfortunately, unable to go.

So, the updated Canadian WYCC delegation list is:

The official Canadian representatives:

Boys u-18 Aman Hambleton
    Boys u-16 Roman Sapozhnikov
    Boys u-14 Tanraj S. Sohal
    Boys u-12 Guannan Terry Song
    Boys u-10 Yuan Chen Zhang
    Boys u-08 Joshua Doknjas
    Girls u-18 Marguerite Fan Yang
    Girls u-16 Alexandra Botez
    Girls u-14 Regina-Veronicka Kalaydina
    Girls u-12 Jackie Peng
    Girls u-10 Kelly Wang
    Girls u-08 Andrea Botez

Additional players:

Boys u-16 Jerry Xiong
    Boys u-16 Michael Kleinman
    Boys u-14 David Itkin
    Boys u-12 Edward Song
    Boys u-12 Mark Plotkin
    Boys u-12 John Doknjas
    Boys u-10 Jason Cao
    Boys u-10 Joseph Bellissimo
    Girls u-14 Rebecca Giblon
    Girls u-12 Melissa Giblon
    Girls u-10 Minya Bai
    Girls u-10 Janet Peng
    Girls u-08 Nicole Birarov
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Post Participating

Personal thoughts coming a bit late after a much needed vacation:

1. In general a player should play only in tournaments it qualifies for; if this is not the norm, the entire qualification system from the grassroots to CYCC (or any other national tournament) means very little. From this point of view I think allowing players to join team Canada at WYCC without even playing at CYCC is a mistake. Yes, I know there are special rules in place, but they should be used only under exceptional circumstances. BTW I would expect the Youth Committee to know if such circumstances are invoked, analyse and propose a decision to the Executive.

P.S. The highest CFC rated player for an age category is not an exceptional circumstance in my opinion.

2. I know it is good to give players a chance to represent Canada on the international stage. As long as these players are willing to pay their own expenses and at least have played at the nationals, I see no problem with that. There are several important international tournaments where Canada has absolutely no players willing or capable to go and that is not a better alternative!

Default Youth Committee?

There was no consultation as far as I know concerning allowing players to go to WYCC who did not participate in the CYCC or who ranked much lower than third place.

Default Please use Youth Committee private forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Nadeau
    There was no consultation as far as I know concerning allowing players to go to WYCC who did not participate in the CYCC or who ranked much lower than third place.
    Ellen,

All consultations took place on the Youth Committee private forum.

You could subscribe to this forum to get email notification, if something new is posted on it.

Thank you for your participation!
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Default Youth Committee

Michael, could you get me access to the Youth Committee private forum, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders
    Michael, could you get me access to the Youth Committee private forum, please?
    Sure, Bob - it's my pleasure to have you as a Youth Committee member!

Chris,
    Could you please grant Bob Gillanders access to the Youth Committee private forum?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Wow, I didn't know there was this #4 rule. In 2009, after I finished top 5 at WYCC in 2008, I was still denied skipping CYCC when I requested it because something came up. I was already top 10 for Adults overall in Canada and was the favourite at the CYCC but the CFC was very strict on "following procedures". If it goes by a case by case basis, hard to think of anyone else who would have been a stronger candidate than myself after that perf. I even played every CYCC since 2005. It ended up causing a lot of inconvenience...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast