Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vancouver cafe chess

Smile Vancouver cafe chess

If anyone in Vancouver BC wants to play cafe blitz chess let me know.
    NM-Dale

Default where?

Is it free?

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Reason...

Quote Originally Posted by jack qian
    Is it free?
    This kind of attitude explains why chess has such a hard time surviving...

Quote Originally Posted by Valer Eugen Demian
    This kind of attitude explains why chess has such a hard time surviving...
    Does the CFC support Cafe Blitz Chess now? I think you are over reacting to that post (just a little).

Yes, in general, people are cheap and chess players are cheaper than the average. On the other hand, many chess players spend a LOT of money in the course of a year for chess books, magazines, clocks (I know someone who buys almost every new clock that comes out!) and even sets and boards... The CFC needs to focus on the people with disposable income and offer VALUE for the membership fee. At the moment (and for a very long time) in my opinion, the CFC has not offered much of anything in return for membership fees + rating fees...

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Liles
    Does the CFC support Cafe Blitz Chess now? I think you are over reacting to that post (just a little).

Yes, in general, people are cheap and chess players are cheaper than the average. On the other hand, many chess players spend a LOT of money in the course of a year for chess books, magazines, clocks (I know someone who buys almost every new clock that comes out!) and even sets and boards... The CFC needs to focus on the people with disposable income and offer VALUE for the membership fee. At the moment (and for a very long time) in my opinion, the CFC has not offered much of anything in return for membership fees + rating fees...
    agree you idea

Bughouse chess I think would be fun too.

Blog Entries

Default People with disposable income vs cheap people

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Liles

How do you make atractive an organization addressing the needs of a so called "cheap" segment of the population? You cannot have your cake and eat it too. We are going in circles for years, using the same arguments over and over again.

The rating fees = we have a service being provided, meaning this is more than nothing
    The membership fees = there are a few ways to argue this one too:
    1. "... ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy. The annual adult membership requires someone to sacrifice 12 beers.
    2. CFC is not a bottomless pit of resources to offer what people think they want, only when they want. If you do not cip in, it comes a time when there's nothing left to take out.

Possibly I am over reacting. However a person with disposable income - like myself - can read such posts and get the wrong idea if there is no reaction. Having disposable income does not mean you have to be considered stupid to fork money to keep it going, while others seek deals because they are cheap and you can't (don't want to) change them!...

I tried to play a few times at Milwaukee Market near Hornsby and Drake but the place was mysteriously closed each time.

Smile Chess fun on July 27th 5 p.m.

There will be a mini chess festival at
    Tealips Bubble Tea and Coffee 7139 Arcola Way Burnaby BC at 5 p.m. July 27th.

9 second walk from Highgate Village.

9 minute walk from Edmonds Skytrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Valer Eugen Demian
    How do you make atractive an organization addressing the needs of a so called "cheap" segment of the population? You cannot have your cake and eat it too. We are going in circles for years, using the same arguments over and over again.

The rating fees = we have a service being provided, meaning this is more than nothing
    The membership fees = there are a few ways to argue this one too:
    1. "... ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy. The annual adult membership requires someone to sacrifice 12 beers.
    2. CFC is not a bottomless pit of resources to offer what people think they want, only when they want. If you do not cip in, it comes a time when there's nothing left to take out.

Possibly I am over reacting. However a person with disposable income - like myself - can read such posts and get the wrong idea if there is no reaction. Having disposable income does not mean you have to be considered stupid to fork money to keep it going, while others seek deals because they are cheap and you can't (don't want to) change them!...
    and this is the #1 reason why I am no longer a CFC member. Although tournaments are fun, there are plenty of non-CFC events to satisfy me... I would enter CFC tournaments if there was a smaller 'tournament' membership but if the CFC wants to treat memberships as donations to 'keep things going' perhaps they should be giving tax receipts. CFC events are now only for the 'elites'... most of the regular club players have quit the CFC. Perhaps this is why there is nobody in my local club who is a CFC member... and all of them in the past were at one time or another.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast