Canadian Chess, Eh

I'll be reviewing books and maybe writing about other stuff, we'll see...
Also daily puzzles created by me!

1. CFC Quarterly Meeting Thoughts

So the CFC's quarterly meeting is going on now. This is the first time in 10+ years I've not been involved in a meeting, which is a bit strange!

Anyway some thoughts.

First of all, the decline in participation seems to be continuing. Perhaps it's partly due to there not being extremely controversial items up for discussion, but 2 1/2 days into the meeting there are only 16 voting members signed in. That's out of a total of 62 current voting members (there are a few vacant ...
    Categories
    CFC
  2. Today's Puzzle!

Sorry for the recent lack of activity here, I've been more sick than usual this past week! I'll have my thoughts on the CFC meeting tomorrow.

White to move, Mate in 5.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Final round game

For the first time I ran into some time trouble and while I was worse in the ending perhaps with more time (or if I was more comfortable playing fast) I may have held the game.

My performance rating for the event was 1865 which was not quite as high as I wanted to see (I want to be seeing 1900+ performances). However according to the ratings calculator it should be enough to bump me over 1800, which is one step closer to my short-term goal of being a Class-A player by my next birthday. ...
    Categories
    Chess and me!
  4. Final round of KW Fall Fast Regular

We played the final round of this event tonight. I was playing on first board against the highest rated player, Jude Aniunoh.

I really need to work on my openings a bit more, he played a French Defence... I know the basic concepts but my knights ended up with awkward positioning and my King ended up trapped on f1 unable to join in, blocked by my own knights and pawns plus his knight on c2.

I'll have to go over the game more tomorrow, I put up a heck of a defence and really ...
    Categories
    Chess and me!
  5. Today's Puzzle

White to move, Mate in 2.

I'm trying to do some simpler ones recently rather than the big Mate in 4s which are fun but difficult sometimes.
    Categories
    Puzzles
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast