All Blog Entries

1. Playing chess variants online (by email/internet using a 'low tech' method)

by , 06-29-2015 at 12:57 AM (Games, analysis and discussion)
    I thought I'd discuss a possibly untried 'low tech' method for playing chess variants (even untried/obscure ones) by email/internet (i.e. with no physical board or pieces needed), in case anyone hasn't thought of it already. It came to me when I tried to make primitive chess variant diagrams for a test email message, thus first confirming to myself that single letters do not automatically align nicely the way I'd like using any old Font. Naturally using a server, app or computer playing program ...

Updated 08-03-2016 at 05:44 PM by Kevin Pacey

Categories
    Chess variants
  2. Fairy tale jokes

by , 05-30-2015 at 11:28 PM (Games, analysis and discussion)
    Here are two original jokes of mine (afaik), based on some classic fairy tales:

Joke #1 of 2:

After Goldilocks ran away from the three bears, she met up with Little Red Riding Hood in the woods, on her way back from her Grandma's house. Goldilocks said "I just had the scariest experience. I was almost eaten by three bears after I ate some of their porridge and slept in their house by mistake". Little Red Riding Hood replied "My Grandma and I had a scary ...

Updated 05-07-2016 at 04:37 AM by Kevin Pacey

Categories
    Nothing to do with chess
  3. Updated version 2.0 of four dimensional crazyhouse/bughouse chess variants

by , 05-20-2015 at 08:22 PM (Games, analysis and discussion)
    The following is based on a four dimensional chess variant of mine (a link devoted to it is provided much further below, as are links for some other games mentioned):

Here's an idea for four dimensional crazyhouse and bughouse chess variants that can be played as if on a two dimensional plane (a 16x16 board, with appropriate spacing, could be used for 4D crazyhouse even on a coffee table; it would be about the size of a Scrabble board [15x15 in that case] - using a computer program ...

Updated 08-03-2016 at 05:45 PM by Kevin Pacey

Categories
    Chess variants
  4. Updated version 4.0 of 10x10 crazyhouse/bughouse: 10x10 chess variants (Part 2 of 2)

by , 04-20-2015 at 01:54 AM (Games, analysis and discussion)
    In looking for variants that may be comp-resistant, easy to visualize 'drops' of captured pcs seemed to me as desirable, as in Shogi, bughouse or crazyhouse. For aesthetics (IMHO), & to please chess/(chess variant) players, I want western style chess pieces, so any Shogi variant was out. I want 2 player game, but it costs little to note 10x10 crazyhouse variant quickly leads to 10x10 bughouse variant.

I hadn't found 10x10 variants for crazyhouse & bughouse invented. I suspect ...

Updated 08-03-2016 at 05:53 PM by Kevin Pacey

Categories
    Chess variants
  5. Updated version 11.0 of my criteria for chess variants & board games of skill

by , 03-16-2015 at 01:01 AM (Games, analysis and discussion)
    For chess variants/board games of skill 12 criteria, 9 games scored 0-4 & 13th scored by # non-0 scores for 1st 12 criteria.

9:
    Chess, Chess960, Doubles Chess (Bughouse), Shogi, Go, Arimaa & 3 of my variants (Throne Chess, 4*Chess & Sac Chess). Sac Chess hopes for 1st & do bett than 0 in 1st 12 criteria.

12:
    1. Computer-resistant (v men not close to best);
    2. Any endgame stage not in signif danger of comprom e.g. by tablebases (adjourn ...

Updated 07-01-2017 at 02:06 PM by Kevin Pacey

Categories
    Chess variants
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast