Chess issues

Discussion of chess issues by National Master Kevin Pacey

1. A Canadian chessmaster discusses his benefits & disappointments from offline chess

by , 08-15-2015 at 03:48 PM (Games, analysis and discussion)
    Based on old chesstalk message board posts of mine:

First, I'll summarize my personal disappointments with competitive offline chess:

As a Canadian teenager back in the 1970's I made some [optimistic] guesses about what chess might have in store for me, Canada, or even for the grand old game itself, if I decided to pursue it at least half seriously for a lifetime, and these guesses all proved to be entirely ... wrong.

Guess #1: I could become at least ...

Updated 06-01-2020 at 03:21 PM by Kevin Pacey

Categories
    Chess issues
  2. Updated version 2.0 of thoughts on reducing perceived geek factor of chess

by , 08-08-2015 at 04:08 PM (Games, analysis and discussion)
    The perception of chess as a game for geeks seems to be fairly common, which may hurt the popularity of the game, at least when played competitively. For instance, the full title of a book about a successful NYC high school chess team includes the word 'geeks':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kings_of_New_York

Just after brainstorming today, two approaches to tackling the commonly perceived geek factor of chess occured to me. The first was to hope for the increased ...

Updated 05-21-2017 at 10:32 AM by Kevin Pacey

Categories
    Chess issues
  3. Updated version 2.0 of ideas for Chess Federation of Canada services (link added)

by , 07-16-2015 at 12:04 AM (Games, analysis and discussion)
    In trying to come up with fresh ideas to suggest for the CFC (or provincial associations) to help local organizers develop Canadian chess, my attention was eventually drawn to the possibility of the CFC obtaining more members and revenue by providing new services that might be seen as having value. With the CFC's financial resources limited, at least at present, I came up with four services (for now) that might be feasible, even possibly sometime in the near future.

The first idea ...

Updated 09-14-2017 at 03:31 PM by Kevin Pacey

Categories
    Chess issues
  4. Updated version 3.0 of the future of chess (links added)

by , 07-14-2015 at 11:29 AM (Games, analysis and discussion)
    I once predicted on the chesstalk message board that chess in its present form - with its basic rules as they have been for several centuries - will be mostly how it's played, competitively at least, for 'only' about 100 more years (Canadian IM Jean Hebert was more optimistic, predicting it would be at least 500 years before that happened). That's even assuming no exceptionally epic events in the history of humanity occur before then (e.g. WWIII and/or large scale divine intervention, that may, ...

Updated 07-01-2017 at 08:50 PM by Kevin Pacey

Categories
    Chess issues
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12