Games, analysis and discussion

Games, analysis and discussion by National Master Kevin Pacey

1. Goals that the Chess Federation of Canada might aim for in future

by , 09-14-2017 at 11:44 AM (Games, analysis and discussion)
    Here are some thoughts and lists of mine regarding goals that the CFC might aim for at some time in the future:

The following is based on an April 2017 chesstalk discussion forum post of mine:

Regarding the 2012 CFC Long-term Planning Committee report, a lot of the planning was based on repeating previous success stories in the case of Windsor. Fwiw, my first instinct was that Windsor was something of a special case, but I still saw quite a lot that could be salvaged ...

Updated 06-02-2020 at 12:25 AM by Kevin Pacey

Categories
    Chess issues
  2. Why is chess so popular among board games of skill?

by , 09-26-2016 at 02:09 PM (Games, analysis and discussion)
    On the Chess Variant Pages website, webmaster Fergus Duniho recently wrote:

"...Chess has been finely honed by natural selection to be free of arbitrariness. Every rule and piece in Chess serves a purpose, and none are arbitrary. Since Chess is what won the survival of the fittest among Chess variants, I expect that any variant capable of succeeding Chess would also have to be free of arbitrariness. But most Chess variants differ from Chess through some arbitrary change to it, ...

Updated 11-17-2020 at 03:09 AM by Kevin Pacey

Categories
    Chess issues
  3. Re: large-scale conspiracies debunked by math equation

by , 09-09-2016 at 09:51 PM (Games, analysis and discussion)
    Here's a link from this year, with a theory I don't quite believe re: conspiracies. It claims just a relatively low number of people (under 3000) involved would inevitably lead to the conspiracy being revealed (by 5 years time). One notable estimate is that 400,000+ would need to be involved if [manmade global] climate change were a deliberate hoax (I'd say maybe it is a hoax, but junk science also could be a possible explanation):

http://phys.org/news/2016-01-equatio...ly-reveal.html ...

Updated 12-16-2019 at 01:47 AM by Kevin Pacey

Categories
    Nothing to do with chess
  4. Discussion of some modern problems for chess (e.g. computers)

by , 09-04-2016 at 01:05 AM (Games, analysis and discussion)
    Here's a list of what at least some people may see as some modern problems for chess, together with my discussion of each:

1. Computers are better than the top humans (e.g. now there may be less public respect for chess & chessplayers).

A common argument is to draw the analogy that sprinters don't compete with motorized vehicles, so why compare chessplayers to engines? A counter-argument may be that chess used to demonstrate the glory of man's intellect, and having ...

Updated 05-21-2017 at 10:29 AM by Kevin Pacey

Categories
    Chess issues
  5. Chess variants hit counter for readers interested in fairy chess

by , 08-03-2016 at 12:59 AM (Games, analysis and discussion)
    Please click on this blog entry if at all interested in chess variants (fairy chess). I'm looking for a crude (if rather low) worldwide estimate of such people. Included below are links/info/thoughts about chess variants that may be of some interest.

1st link: chessvariants.com (free membership):

http://www.chessvariants.com/

Note that for 2016, the webmaster informs me that the main site for chessvariants.com has been getting in the neighborhood of 50,000 ...

Updated 07-01-2017 at 02:44 PM by Kevin Pacey

Categories
    Chess variants
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast