Blog Comments

I would suggest instead of the blog, to post this in "English chat".
    Hi Sean

I trusted Pedersen and the conventional wisdom regarding 17.Kxc2. In the analysis of your issue 10, after 17.Kxc2 Qa2+ 18.Bb2 Bd7 19.Nf7+ Ke8 20.Nd6+ Kd8 21.Bd3! (my tentative punctuation) Ba4+ 22.Kd2, instead of 22...Kd7? etc. or your improvement 22...Rxg2+ etc. (Black surviving to a pawn down ending), all of 22...Qb3, 22...b6, 22...Rb8, 22...Bc6 and 22...d4 occured to my human eyes. From the brief time I looked at these with a computer, I concluded 22...b6 seems only slightly worse for Black, but all of the other alternatives I thought of are losing. At least 21.Bd3! certainly gives White a way to play on if he hopes to win contrary to my game notes above to Stein-Beliavsky.

Otherwise, I felt a bit relieved to come across nothing in issue 8 contrary to my suggestions for Black in my notes to the Eliskases game. I played that ...b6 Rossolimo Winawer Poisoned Pawn line just yesterday as Black and won too easily, after my opponent went off the rails early.

Take care, Kevin Pacey
    Updated 07-26-2014 at 02:13 PM by Kevin Pacey (Noting 22...b6 is only alternative I thought of that's not losing)
    Interesting analysis! Euwe's line is a favourite of mine also: very sharp lines and much of theory is incomplete or wrong.

If you're interested I have analysis on this line at http://www.irlchess.com/tnwr/, issue 10 (with more on 10. Kd1 in issues 1, 2, 7, and 11). (I hope it's not out of order to mention my own site here -- if you take a look you'll see that it's directly on topic.)

I think Black's in trouble after 17. Kxc2.

I see you've also analysed Canba-Eliskases, another interesting one. See issue 8 for my take on it.

Sean Coffey