Chess opening repertoire discussion

Chess opening repertoire discussion by National Master Kevin Pacey

1. Updated version 4.0 of chess styles

by , 11-09-2015 at 01:38 AM (Games, analysis and discussion)
    I've made a model for chess styles inspired by parts of Secrets of Endgame Strategy by Lars Bo Hansen (Gambit, 2006), Winning with Chess Psychology by Benko & Hochberg (McKay, 1991) & Secrets of Practical Chess by Nunn (Gambit, 1998). It's like Hansen's model in his books, expanded.

Style is a set of tendencies (tastes/fortes) that can show in cases of near equivalent available choices; any may affect a game's character a long time. The avg. # of cases per game is uncertain, ...

Updated 12-10-2015 at 04:13 PM by Kevin Pacey

Categories
  2. Chess opening preparation (Part 2 of 2)

by , 10-27-2014 at 11:10 PM (Games, analysis and discussion)
    After you are satisfied with the repertoire you have selected, and are studying it in an ongoing way (and practicing/testing it in blitz and/or offhand games, perhaps), as much as your time and inclination allows, it's time to think about:

3. Your form as a player (and person):

Even before you enter a tournament, any number of factors may work against your having good chess form. Examples:
    [1]- poor diet
    [2]- sleep poorly during tournaments, or in general ...

Updated 02-11-2021 at 02:05 PM by Kevin Pacey

Categories
  3. Chess opening preparation (Part 1 of 2)

by , 10-27-2014 at 09:34 PM (Games, analysis and discussion)
    The following (both Parts 1 & 2) is based partly on old chesstalk posts of mine:

How does a player prepare his openings or prepare for games? Much has been written about these subjects, but I will try to sum up what I think is some very useful advice for players below grandmaster level especially.

First, before thinking about tournament play, try to figure out if you have a suitable repertoire. To check this, or to build a custom made repertoire from scratch, first ...

Updated 02-09-2021 at 02:23 AM by Kevin Pacey

Categories
  4. A flexible chess opening repertoire

by , 02-02-2014 at 10:29 AM (Games, analysis and discussion)
    The following is a suggested repertoire for sharp or solid play. All or some of it can be used, even by an intermediate or advanced level player wishing to specialize. Much of it I have played myself:

White: 1.e4 (only)

vs. 1...c5:
    Sharp option: (chosen in spite of any homework since anti-Sicilians generally far less potent)
    Open Sicilians, including:
    Sozin (Bc4) setups (i.e. if Black aims for Classical, Scheveningen or Najdorf Sicilian),

Updated 09-12-2015 at 10:55 AM by Kevin Pacey

Categories
  5. Updated version 2.0 of a chess master's repertoire (& offbeat chess openings links)

by , 02-01-2014 at 09:41 PM (Games, analysis and discussion)
    Based on an old chesstalk post of mine (in response to someone doubting people had time to learn opening theory, and also doubting there being a variety of playable openings not requiring learning lots of theory):

At the risk of giving away secrets my competitors don't already know (e.g. from CANBase), I can show my 'core' repertoire (what I use when I'm not given to occasional whims of infidelity to it). I generally have used these openings 10+ times in my career. I know I could ...

Updated 11-08-2016 at 01:09 AM by Kevin Pacey

Categories
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast