PDA

View Full Version : Brantford - Active tournament on sunday!

Bob Gillanders
09-19-2008, 04:25 PM
A reminder or this fun event in Brantford this weekend.
Rob - any last minute announcements.

Olympiad Fundraiser
Active Chess Tournament

Date: Sunday September 21, 2008
Place: Harmony Square, 89 Dalhousie St., Brantford
Register: 12:00pm - 12:30 pm
Rounds: 4 - 6, depending on numbers
Type: Regular Swiss
Times: (Approx.) 12:30 pm, 1:15 pm, 2 pm, 2:45 pm, 3:30 pm & 4:15 pm
Time Control: 20 minutes/game
Entry Fee: $10.00
$8 from every entry fee will be donated to Canadian Olympiad Fund
Prizes: $100, guaranteed—donated by Brantford Chess Club/Harmony Square
Organizer: Rob Gashgarian 519-751-4157 brantchess@primus.ca
Miscellaneous: Limited clocks and sets will be provided. Several restaurants are near the site.

Rob Gashgarian
09-24-2008, 08:42 PM
The Olympiad fundraiser was not as successful as I had hoped, but in despite the few players, we still managed to raise $134 for the Olympiad. In addition to the $64 raised from entry fees, most of the cash prize winners donated the greater part of their prize to the donation.

Sunday turned out to be a decent weather day--my biggest concern before the event--and 8 players played 4 rounds of friendly, but competitive chess. Special thanks to Ferdinand for making the trip to Brantford for this event and to Mr. Cormier for evening the numbers for convenience and the other local players who came out to support/contribute to this event.
Thank you to all players who participated and upheld the spirit of supporting our national teams.

Players (order of finish) prize:
Rob Gashgarian (4/4), donated $40 prize
Ferdinand Supsup (3/4), $30 Chapters gift card
Lee Hendon/Matthew Mills/Roy Jones/Adam Cormier (2/4) ($30 of $60 donated to fund)--$20 Chapters gift card for Adam
Chris Osborne (1/4)
Wense Cormier (0/4)

Gary Gladstone
09-24-2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks for your tremendous support of the Canadian Olympic Team

Stay tuned for the formal announcement of an all day fundraiser for the Olympic Team in Downtown Toronto on Sunday November 9, 2008

Gary Gladstone

Bob Gillanders
09-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Sorry Rob, I had planned on attending, but some chores got in the way.

It looked like you were going to be rained out. That was likely a contributing factor in the low turnout.

Rob Gashgarian
09-26-2008, 11:12 AM
Thanks for your consideration Bob.
I just want to say that I was hoping for larger numbers just to help the fund. I thought others might be willing to travel a short way to help the team and play some chess. The cash donation was to sweeten the offer and presumably offer some compensation to those that make a commitment to it.
I'm sure the outdoor aspect did curtail people from committing to it--believe me, I was watching weather reports all week to see what to expect and hoping that all predictions were correct. The problem is I don't have control of the dates/locations for the square, that's dictated by the city.

We were offered the third Sunday of the summer months this year and if we can secure the same next year, I'd like to revive the Brantford Active series that we had started a few years ago--kind of a grand prix format with event and cumulative prizes.

If there is interest form others in something like this, please let me know.
Ah well, maybe next time.
Rob

John Coleman
09-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Just as a matter of interest, what is meant by the phrase "regular swiss", as opposed to just "swiss". What makes it regular? Time control? Non-accelerated? How would a non-regular swiss differ?

Of course, it could be that the players have to sit in nice straight lines, and be on their best behavior, but isn't that the case with any chess tournament.

Kerry Liles
09-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Just as a matter of interest, what is meant by the phrase "regular swiss", as opposed to just "swiss". What makes it regular? Time control? Non-accelerated? How would a non-regular swiss differ?

Of course, it could be that the players have to sit in nice straight lines, and be on their best behavior, but isn't that the case with any chess tournament.

I would think "regular" as opposed to "active" (so, time control)

John Coleman
09-26-2008, 10:30 PM
I thought "time control" as well, except that this event is 20 mins/game, which is kinda fast for regular rated.

Bob Armstrong
09-28-2008, 09:33 PM
I believe a time control has to be at least game/60 min to qualify to be " regular " rated by CFC.

Game/20 min. would have to be rated " active " if CFC would rate it as such, since usually " active " = Game/30 min..(afik )

Bob

John Coleman
09-28-2008, 10:47 PM
So the question remains, for this ACTIVE tournament, what is the meaning of "regular swiss" in the announcement?

Egidijus Zeromskis
09-28-2008, 11:09 PM
It may be simple ("regular") swiss where pairings are done based on FIDE rules.

In "non-regular" swiss, pairings may be done on different rules, i.e. nobody cares about opponent strength (rating) but their points.