PDA

View Full Version : Ag. Item # 17E - New Business - Executive Nominations Committee

Bob Armstrong
04-11-2010, 03:03 PM
I would like to add another agenda item under " New Business ": Executive Nominations Committee

The point of this topic, is that our AGM comes up in July ( only 3 months away ), and we are in the position we are always in - " Gee, I wonder who might come forward this year to run for the Executive ?". And with no formal process in place, we often don't know who is willing to stand until we are in the midst of the AGM itself. This seems like a pretty fragile and uncertain process.

So I would like to propose that the Governors form a specific committee of non-running governors, an Executive Nominations Committee, whose task it will be, to approach governors they feel would do a good job on the executive, and encourage them to put their names forward.

I would also suggest that the second mandate of this committee be to, if they feel they can, make recommendations to the governors of who they would endorse for the various executive positions, from among any declared candidates. This will not in any way determine who can run - all candidates can still run, but it may be that some will gain the endorsement of the committee.

I would suggest that we ask here for volunteers for this committee - I would suggest it be 5 governors. They can post here if they are interested in sitting on this committee, and will confirm they are not intending to run for any executive position for the coming year.

Lastly, if we have more than 5 volunteers for this committee, I suggest that the executive, by majority vote, with the President having a tie-breaking vote if necessary, select from among the volunteers, the 5 person committee.

I would like to hear opinions on this proposal.

Bob

Christopher Mallon
04-11-2010, 05:53 PM
I think it would be better to have a "candidacy" GL-type thing which is always published 30 days before the AGM - or perhaps even longer before, allowing any candidate to put their platform in there. It would encourage people to step up earlier.

Michael Barron
04-11-2010, 09:42 PM
I would like to add another agenda item under " New Business ": Executive Nominations Committee

The point of this topic, is that our AGM comes up in July ( only 3 months away ), and we are in the position we are always in - " Gee, I wonder who might come forward this year to run for the Executive ?". And with no formal process in place, we often don't know who is willing to stand until we are in the midst of the AGM itself. This seems like a pretty fragile and uncertain process.

So I would like to propose that the Governors form a specific committee of non-running governors, an Executive Nominations Committee, whose task it will be, to approach governors they feel would do a good job on the executive, and encourage them to put their names forward.

I would also suggest that the second mandate of this committee be to, if they feel they can, make recommendations to the governors of who they would endorse for the various executive positions, from among any declared candidates. This will not in any way determine who can run - all candidates can still run, but it may be that some will gain the endorsement of the committee.

I would suggest that we ask here for volunteers for this committee - I would suggest it be 5 governors. They can post here if they are interested in sitting on this committee, and will confirm they are not intending to run for any executive position for the coming year.

Lastly, if we have more than 5 volunteers for this committee, I suggest that the executive, by majority vote, with the President having a tie-breaking vote if necessary, select from among the volunteers, the 5 person committee.

I would like to hear opinions on this proposal.

Bob

Thank you, Bob!

I think, it's a great idea, but at the moment can't volunteer for this committee... ;)

Bob Armstrong
04-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Hi Michael:

Thanks for the support - also, if you are intending to run again for a CFC Executive position for the coming year, then you would be disqualified from sitting on the Committee. This Executive Nominations Committee must be seen as having no vested interest in the Executive positions, and must be seen to be as objective as possible.

Do we have other support for this concept? Do we have any non-running governors who could volunteer a bit of time to contact potential candidates? Note that incumbents will also be contacted to try to get them to declare their intentions early ( so far, Eric has indicated he will be running again, as of my last conversation with him a few months ago, and Maurice will not be running again ).

Once I have the 5 governors, I will ask that the Executive formally bless this Committee, so that it will have more legitimacy than if it is just formed by some governors.

Bob

Christopher Mallon
04-12-2010, 08:32 AM
While I think the whole idea is just messy, isn't getting the current President (who is running again) to "bless" the committee kind of a conflict of interest?

Form a group and give a recommendation sure, but I see no reason why that should have any more weight than any other opinions out there.

Bob Armstrong
04-12-2010, 08:43 AM
Hi Chris:

I asked that the Executive ( not just the President ) " bless " the Committee. It's just that I think the Committee has more legitimacy if " authorized " to function by the Executive, regardless of the President running again.

But, yes, if this authorization is a problem, then we can just form the Committee as governors, and people will give it whatever weight they want re their recommendations.

The whole point is to try to flush out candidates early, so we can consider them, rather than at the last minute in the midst of the AGM.

Bob

Christopher Mallon
04-12-2010, 11:35 AM
And so let the hunt for a new President begin again...

Christopher Mallon
04-12-2010, 12:45 PM
We should also find out if Michael Barron and Lyle Craver intend to run again.

I'm pretty sure Hal has stated that he will run, and I'm also pretty sure not re-electing him if he's willing would be one of the stupidest things the CFC ever did...

Michael Barron
04-12-2010, 10:09 PM
We should also find out if Michael Barron and Lyle Craver intend to run again.

I'm pretty sure Hal has stated that he will run, and I'm also pretty sure not re-electing him if he's willing would be one of the stupidest things the CFC ever did...

As for my intentions:
I'm willing to vacate the Youth Coordinator position for some worthy and passionate candidate - like Ellen Nadeau or Eric Hansen.
But if I don't see a good candidate, I will run for this position again... ;)

Eric Van Dusen
04-12-2010, 11:23 PM
I will not be running for the position of president for next year's term.

Stijn De Kerpel
04-13-2010, 12:26 AM
I will not putting my name forward for any Executive positions for this coming year.

Stijn.

Bob Armstrong
04-14-2010, 05:44 PM
There was minimal support for the idea, and no objections. There were no volunteers. It was felt the Committee should go ahead and function, even if it did not get the official “ authorization “ of the Executive, when they were asked. Given lack of strong support, Bob Armstrong will not pursue this idea further.

Is this summary generally satisfactory?

Bob