PDA

View Full Version : Ag. Item # 8 – Olympiad Fundraising Update

Bob Armstrong
04-08-2010, 08:31 AM
In this thread, Eric will advise what steps are now being taken to raise the funds for our 2 Olympiad Teams – the teams must be registered by May 20 according to the FIDE site, and the Olympiad takes place in September. Anyone can respond.

Paul Leblanc
04-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Last month the Victoria Chess Club raised $300 for the Olympiad Team via an Active tournament fundraiser. We publicized the event extensively and I found people very willing to come out and pay $10-$13 to support this good cause. We had trophies for 1st and 1st U1700, the lack of cash prizes did not discourage anyone from playing. The schedule was a leisurly 5 rounds with a full hour for lunch to allow a bit of socializing. I would encourage other clubs to try this.

Hugh Brodie
04-08-2010, 05:18 PM
I am prepared to make a donation. Have the names of the team members been finalized, and of those - have they all accepted?

Christopher Mallon
04-08-2010, 09:44 PM
I believe players have until April 21st or so to accept the offers.

Michael von Keitz
04-13-2010, 12:36 AM
So, if I have read correctly, Eric may have requested that Gerry send out requests for donations to the CFC membership. Can we get confirmation on whether Gerry actually received the request, and, if so, whether he plans to act on it?

I like the idea of fundraising tournaments, but are there any other ideas out there?

Christopher Mallon
04-13-2010, 12:41 AM
Seems funny to pay what, $1000? to mail something out to every CFC member requesting donations.

Paul Leblanc
04-13-2010, 02:48 AM
Hopefully, it will be an e-mail. I doubt the rank and file will donate much. The clubs, through fundraising events, and the truly dedicated people - us - will come through I'm confident.

Ilia Bluvshtein
04-13-2010, 10:27 AM
I am prepared to make a donation. Have the names of the team members been finalized, and of those - have they all accepted?

Invitations to selected team members are in works and will be sent out hopefully on April 15th. After this I'll release lists of selected team members.

Bob Armstrong
04-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Eric advised that a couple of Fundraising Committee members have resigned. David Cohen, who has sometimes fundraised for the CFC on a commission basis was not available now. There will be a mail-out to all CFC members asking for donations.

Is this summary generally satisfactory?

Bob