PDA

View Full Version : Ag. Item # 16 – Any Proposed Changes to the Meeting Procedure Rules

Bob Armstrong
04-08-2010, 08:13 AM
Any general comments on the meeting procedures are being made under Agenda Item # 4. This thread is specifically reserved for “ changes to procedures “ governors are suggesting.

Valer Eugen Demian
04-12-2010, 07:41 PM
... MUST participate the same all governors are required to do so. Without the Executive and especially the President's participation this whole exercise loses a lot of momentum...

Christopher Mallon
04-12-2010, 07:44 PM
This has been much more successful than I originally expected it to be.

I think specific procedures need to be developed for exactly how voting will work - ie how much discussion, how to handle amendments, etc.

I think a few other technical tweaks could also be useful.

So in fact I'm wondering if perhaps this might be a better (obviously cheaper) medium - go strictly online with the AGM, with the exception of the voting which can be done by fax/scanned email (to meet legal requirements)...?

Bob Armstrong
04-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Hi Chris:

1. re voting - the rules set aside the first 3 1/2 days for motion debate; then the next 3 days are for voting - this seems to have worked well - the debate had tailed off when the voting started;

2. Amendments to motions - the rules deal with this - check them out - there is provision for meeting extension if necessary to deal with numbers of amendments to motions originally filed.

3. AGM - a number of governors feel strongly that a face-to-face component of an AGM is important, where it is not so important for the quarterly meetings, which can be held totally on-line. This is why I divided the topics into 2 Subcommittees - the Governors' Voting Modernization Subcommittee, and, the AGM Modernization Subcommittee. I'd suggest we stick with the Mallon AGM Model you have developed, and the subcommittee adopted, for at least this July AGM. Then we can compare the audio/video/texting AGM with this On-line format, and see if we want to change the AGM for the future.

Bob

Bob Armstrong
04-14-2010, 05:53 PM
An issue arose where the mover/seconder of the CYCC Rules motion 2010-07, on Monday at 9:39 AM EDT, amended their motion due to a “ friendly “ amendment. But voting on the motion in its original form had already begun the night before on Sunday night at 9:00 PM EDT. The Chair did not catch this, and failed to cancel the original motion vote, and start a new amended motion vote on the Monday morning. So voting on the original motion continued until about noon on Wednesday, when the glitch was brought to light. So the chair ruled that the voting be continued on the original motion, to closing at 6:00 PM EDT on Wednesday. The matter will then be referred to the Executive, in consultation with the mover/seconder, to see if the motion passed, can be treated as the amended motion. The Governors’ Voting Modernization Subcommittee will be dealing with how to handle motion amendments, after the start of voting, in future, and will amend the procedures if required.

Is this summary generally satisfactory?

Bob