PDA

View Full Version : 4.8 Nominations for CFC Ratings Auditor

Lyle Craver
08-09-2020, 03:40 PM
Please make your nominations for CFC Ratings Auditor here

nominations close at 6pm ET - day 3, elections continue through 6pm ET - day 6)

Fred McKim
08-12-2020, 04:10 PM
From English Chat thread: Tony Li

Vladimir Drkulec
08-16-2020, 01:13 PM
Paul Leblanc has indicated interest in continuing in this volunteer position and so I nominate him for this position.

Victoria Doknjas
08-16-2020, 01:14 PM
I am very pleased to nominate Paul Leblanc who has done an outstanding job as the CFC Ratings Auditor for a number of years now.

Victor Plotkin
08-17-2020, 09:17 AM
I know Paul for many years and I appreciate his job. Last many years (since 2012) we had no inflation and no deflation.

The only point I disagree with the current system is about foreign players who has no CFC rating (or their CFC rating is old and irrelevant). I guess, we should give them starting CFC rating as FIDE + 120 (or at least FIDE + 100).

We discussed this problem a few times, but likely Paul has slightly different opinion about it.

Having said this, I fully support Paul Leblanc for this position.

Paul Leblanc
08-17-2020, 04:41 PM
Victor, thank you for your support. I am willing to have another look at the starting ratings for players with established ratings elsewhere.
Can you e-mail me with a proposal that I can discuss? Ideally, let me know if you think it should apply at all rating levels or perhaps just above 2000 or something like that.
Also, to be fair to USCF and FQE members, would you give me your opinion on that too?
It should be noted that organizers and TDs are not bound by the policy on assignment of initial ratings when it comes to section placement and prize eligibility. They will exercise judgement based on
their particular situation. The adjustment would come at the CFC office when rating the first event.
But once a player has one CFC event under their belt, they would have the CFC rating that we consider fair.

Vladimir Drkulec
08-17-2020, 10:23 PM
Tony Li has withdrawn his name from the race for rating auditor. Post 54.

https://forum.chesstalk.com/forum/chesstalk-canada-s-chess-discussion-board-go-to-www-strategygames-ca-for-your-chess-needs/207189-cfc-ratings-auditor/page4

Victor Plotkin
08-19-2020, 09:39 AM
My proposal:

1. If a player has no CFC rating, but has FIDE rating, his starting CFC rating will be FIDE + 120. If a player from USA has no FIDE rating as well, but has established USCF rating, his starting CFC rating will be USCF + 60.

2. If a foreign player did not play a CFC-rated game for more than 5 years, his CFC rating becomes irrelevant and will be adjusted to FIDE + 120.

Fred McKim
08-19-2020, 10:05 AM
My proposal:

1. If a player has no CFC rating, but has FIDE rating, his starting CFC rating will be FIDE + 120. If a player from USA has no FIDE rating as well, but has established USCF rating, his starting CFC rating will be USCF + 60.

2. If a foreign player did not play a CFC-rated game for more than 5 years, his CFC rating becomes irrelevant and will be adjusted to FIDE + 120.

I think we already have a rule that if foreign players are inactive in CFC for more than a year, they re-start.

If we are happy using those ratings, what about QC players with only FQE ratings (presumably this might be most QC players at some point in time) ?

Victor Plotkin
08-19-2020, 10:35 AM
I think we already have a rule that if foreign players are inactive in CFC for more than a year, they re-start.

If we are happy using those ratings, what about QC players with only FQE ratings (presumably this might be most QC players at some point in time) ?

1. 1 year looks very short period to me. 3 or 5 years is OK. But most important: not CFC=FIDE, but CFC=FIDE+120

2. Honestly, I have no idea about FQE rating and ratio CFC-FQE. Need to think about it.

Aris Marghetis
08-19-2020, 12:25 PM
1. 1 year looks very short period to me. 3 or 5 years is OK. But most important: not CFC=FIDE, but CFC=FIDE+120

2. Honestly, I have no idea about FQE rating and ratio CFC-FQE. Need to think about it.

Intuitively, I would put FQE around USCF, maybe more, so CFC=FQE+60 or CFC=FQE+90 [but I stress this is intuitive, no number crunching done]

Pierre Dénommée
08-19-2020, 05:47 PM
Before crunching to many numbers, we should check players who are triple rated FIDE-CFC-FQE. The difference between the FIDE and the CFC rating and between the FIDE and FQE rating should be analyze.

There is no proof that FIDE ratings are consistent within Canada because the FQE and CFC players do not mix often enough, but this is a starting point. It may find that like in Myanmar, the fact that FQE and CFC players don't play enough games together has caused a shift in the FIDE rating.

P.S. Myanmar affair : FIDE noticed many 2600 players in the country that were unable to achieve a single GM norm. An investigation was launched in fear of intentional rating manipulation. Result of the investigation : nobody is guilty. The ratings are too high because the people of Myanmar are very poor and cannot travel. They almost never play against a foreign players and the rating is a measure of the relative merit of the players, not an absolute measure of the playing strength. 100 points were subtracted from all Myanmar ratings except for players who would loose their FIDE rating because of the subtraction.