PDA

View Full Version : 5A5) Digitization of CFC Bulletins and Documents

Vladimir Drkulec
02-17-2020, 03:59 PM
This thread is to discuss digitization and making available CFC Bulletins and Documents.

Paul Leblanc
02-18-2020, 07:55 PM
I would find this useful. There is a partial collection of cross-tables that are very useful for historical purposes and I would like to see the gaps filled.

Vladimir Drkulec
02-19-2020, 01:20 AM
The work has been done. Michael von Keitz did it when he stepped down as Executive Director. Finding the files and a way to share them is what needs to be done now.

Lyle Craver
02-19-2020, 02:54 AM
I probably don't spend enough time viewing the lists but do we have a master list of what's digitized? Specifically I have a couple of boxes worth of old GLs which I'd love to ditch if the CFC has copies of them and digitize and send to the office any we don't have copies of. Some of these are pretty old...ditto the EPs and Bulletins which played a very important part in my life when I was reading one in the cafeteria+and my future wife sat down in front of me curious about what I was reading - it was a cover with a chess board turned 45 degrees in what would normally not be a standard board position. But yes that is how we first met. I believe the cover was brown and it was a 1982 EP.....

Christopher Mallon
02-19-2020, 05:39 PM
The work has been done. Michael von Keitz did it when he stepped down as Executive Director. Finding the files and a way to share them is what needs to be done now.

Do we not know where the files are? Knowing the size would help with coming up with sharing ideas.

Vladimir Drkulec
02-19-2020, 07:33 PM
Not all the files are shareable because some were defunct magazines which we do not own the rights to. The files are somewhere on a hard drive and also in various executives' email systems. I probably downloaded them to a hard drive at some point but it is likely that I wouldn't be able to find which ones at this point. Combing through old emails when I have time would seem the path of least resistance.

Fred McKim
02-19-2020, 07:48 PM
I would have to think that Michael VK would have copies of what he digitized.

Lyle Craver
02-20-2020, 12:45 PM
if you're using one of the standard e-mail programs it would be easy to sort your messages based on those that have attachments and which don't. Presumably the date of the e-mail would give a good idea which issue is which. I think the idea is worthwhile, what I was hoping to see was a list of viewable files so I could compare what I have with what's listed and scan and upload any that weren't listed. Right now my old GL box (it's about the size of an apple crate but also contains provincial magazines) is buried near my chess bookshelves.....

I've spent some time looking over all the top level links on chess.ca and feel some work could usefully be done to re-organize the links on the main masthead to make them more useful. Couldn't find the chess stats (the per capita chart which probably belongs under a link called 'governance') and had to dig to find upcoming tournament ads which I feel should be front and center as our primary function is getting people out to play in events.

We were talking about EPs / Bulletins / GLs previously - I'd suggest a section called 'Archives' or something similar broken down by year and issue (or 5 year period and issue). Searchable would be great but not a most pressing need. (I'd be ecstatic with links to photos being linked - there was nothing like the look on my childrens' faces when I showed them the old Bulletin with a picture of me from the early 70s with long flowing hair and a paisley shirt!)

Aris Marghetis
02-20-2020, 01:53 PM
... with a picture of me from the early 70s with long flowing hair and a paisley shirt!)

I used to love that phrase "long flowing hair" lol

Mine got as long as halfway down my back (about three DECADES ago lol)

Egidijus Zeromskis
02-24-2020, 03:00 PM
Not all the files are shareable because some were defunct magazines which we do not own the rights to.

Maybe there is a sense to obtain rights to those magazines if they have the value in Canadian chess history.