PDA

View Full Version : 5A4) CFC Handbook

Vladimir Drkulec
02-17-2020, 03:57 PM
This thread is for discussion of a new handbook to replace the old one.

Fred McKim
02-19-2020, 08:25 PM
I'm going to throw out there the idea of throwing a few thousand $$ to someone to act as Project Manager to get this going. We already have some volunteers for certain sections.

Aris Marghetis
02-19-2020, 09:26 PM
I respectfully suggest that such money might very well be wasted. We need someone passionate for the position, and we give them lots of rope to get it done.

Vladimir Drkulec
02-19-2020, 11:32 PM
My suggestion would be to take a more incremental approach. We could start with the CYCC and youth regulations and the Canadian Closed/Olympiad team. I think the rating section could also be adopted as is.

Christopher Mallon
02-19-2020, 11:39 PM
Why not take one section per month, post it in the VM forum and let people first of all point out anything that doesn't align with modern laws or anything else that now binds the CFC, and secondly point out obvious changes that are needed.
If people want to help, they will help, if not, they won't. But at least there's a timeline and it gets done, in around a year or so (some smaller sections could be combined).

Focus should be on implementation first and major changes should be proposed separately IMHO.

Pierre Dénommée
02-21-2020, 03:03 PM
Focus should be on implementation first and major changes should be proposed separately IMHO.

The CFC looks like an organisation which is afraid of change. It missed its first opportunity to change when it moved to the new NFP Act. That was a golden opportunity to enable major changes and it has been wasted.

IMHO, we should improve everything as fast as possible.

Vladimir Drkulec
02-22-2020, 03:57 PM
The CFC looks like an organisation which is afraid of change. It missed its first opportunity to change when it moved to the new NFP Act. That was a golden opportunity to enable major changes and it has been wasted.

IMHO, we should improve everything as fast as possible.

I believe that at the point we were at, the issue was simply survival. We were not able to agree on what the proposed changes were going to be and the final vote almost failed while maintaining the status quo to the extent possible. Change is not always a good thing.

Lyle Craver
02-23-2020, 01:54 AM
I'm glad to see this moving ahead - I tried to get something going about a year ago but didn't get the needed traction. Not sure if everybody working on one section at a time or each doing a specific section's first draft is the way to go. What I would >REALLY like to see is a complete rewrite of 'so you want to run a chess tournament' updated to meet present conditions. Jonathan Berry did an excellent job 30+ years ago on the first version but so much has changed in the meantime particularly in the use of the computer to submit event reports to the Office.

Lloyd Lombard
02-23-2020, 12:39 PM
All roads are paved with good intentions. Over a year ago, I posted that I intended to draft a "CFC Long-Term Plan" (trying to upgrade what Vlad had done several years back. As "newly" retired (it will be two years July 1st), my volunteer commitments and other personal activities have gotten in the way of working on this project. I continue to add to the outline from time to time, but am "very much" in the very basic stages.