PDA

View Full Version : 10. Bids for 2019 / 2020 Events

Lyle Craver
08-19-2018, 01:40 PM
Please post bids for national events here

Vladimir Drkulec
08-20-2018, 12:27 PM
There is a bid for the Canadian Youth Chess Championship and Canadian Open for 2020 from Mississauga.

It is about 5 Mbytes. Here is a dropbox link to the bid.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5876w2myssnkd4/CYCC_CO%202020%20Bid%20by%20Elevate%20My%20Chess.p df?dl=0

Fred McKim
08-20-2018, 12:49 PM
There is a bid for the Canadian Youth Chess Championship and Canadian Open for 2020 from Mississauga.

I think it's worth noting that this is our first National Event bid to come from the 2018 CSTA Conference in Halifax, Vlad and I attended (at no cost to the CFC) in March. The funny part is Vlad made the connection with the Mississauga group through a hallway encounter. We still have many cities percolating with Regional organizers. I am organizing the Maritime Open Championship with the City of Summerside in October of 2019 (they haven't had a weekend CFC tournament in about 30 years) - we are expecting to break attendance totals for this event, since the 70's Chess Boom. A bid for a CFC National event will follow.

Vladimir Drkulec
08-20-2018, 01:54 PM
I think it's worth noting that this is our first National Event bid to come from the 2018 CSTA Conference in Halifax, Vlad and I attended (at no cost to the CFC) in March. The funny part is Vlad made the connection with the Mississauga group through a hallway encounter. We still have many cities percolating with Regional organizers. I am organizing the Maritime Open Championship with the City of Summerside in October of 2019 (they haven't had a weekend CFC tournament in about 30 years) - we are expecting to break attendance totals for this event, since the 70's Chess Boom. A bid for a CFC National event will follow.

I think the pump was primed when Vadim Tsypin contacted me about three days before we left for Halifax and asked me how receptive the CFC would be for a bid from Mississauga for CYCC. It was actually in a breakout session where I met Clara Grassia who is Coordinator, Sport Tourism Events for Mississauga and I mentioned that I had spoken to someone who wanted to put an event in Mississauga. I had made a favourable impression already in our discussions with the main speakers of the day. As you recall you went to one session and I went to the other. The one I went to was on sponsorship. I don't recall what your session was titled. Luck and timing is always important. If we had switched up you wouldn't yet have been aware of the Mississauga interest from Gary, Ken and Vadim.

Lloyd Lombard
08-21-2018, 07:34 AM
I'd just like to put in a plug in for Halifax, Nova Scotia. The Nova Scotia Chess Association for a number of years has been extremely fortunate to have Ken Cashin, President, to organize provincial chess tournaments. For the first time, in what appears since 1988, we have this year elected 7 members of the Board to create what I view to be an extremely energetic and organized Board of Directors. This year, we hope to: 1) Become re-registered under the provincial Societies' Act (where the Association hasn't been incorporated since 1988); 2) Likely have a change of name for the Association (will be voting on this at the next Board meeting in November); 3) Create a number of chess clubs throughout the province (we have 4 new ones in the past 3 years and at least 1 more in the books for organization); 4) Create a structure of various Committees and encourage participation of chess players throughout the province to assist the Association in the delegation of chess related work; 5) Possibly organize a bid for national chess tournament in the near future. Finally, I'm told that Halifax has been designated as one of the world's best cities for international conferences and events and one of our Executive members has recently met with a party whom we anticipate will be a key participant in assisting to organize such an event. I note that Nova Scotia has never held the Canadian Open, hopefully it will in the not-to-distant future.

Aris Marghetis
08-21-2018, 10:50 AM
I'd just like to put in a plug in for Halifax, Nova Scotia. The Nova Scotia Chess Association for a number of years has been extremely fortunate to have Ken Cashin, President, to organize provincial chess tournaments. For the first time, in what appears since 1988, we have this year elected 7 members of the Board to create what I view to be an extremely energetic and organized Board of Directors. This year, we hope to: 1) Become re-registered under the provincial Societies' Act (where the Association hasn't been incorporated since 1988); 2) Likely have a change of name for the Association (will be voting on this at the next Board meeting in November); 3) Create a number of chess clubs throughout the province (we have 4 new ones in the past 3 years and at least 1 more in the books for organization); 4) Create a structure of various Committees and encourage participation of chess players throughout the province to assist the Association in the delegation of chess related work; 5) Possibly organize a bid for national chess tournament in the near future. Finally, I'm told that Halifax has been designated as one of the world's best cities for international conferences and events and one of our Executive members has recently met with a party whom we anticipate will be a key participant in assisting to organize such an event. I note that Nova Scotia has never held the Canadian Open, hopefully it will in the not-to-distant future.

Hi Lloyd, one of my sons lives (happily!) in Halifax. So I would be especially interested in participating in any special chess event you might plan for that part of our country!

Aris Marghetis (IA, IO)

Vladimir Drkulec
08-21-2018, 10:58 AM
We have openings for CYCC/CO in 2021 and 2022. Travel to Halifax by plane is simple and not so expensive at least from Windsor.

Egidijus Zeromskis
08-21-2018, 11:20 AM
Several comments:
Budget: would be good to see with participation numbers, and even adding the past year championships for comparison.
Open Schedule:
"Wed, July 22 Round 9. Prize ceremony.
Thu, July 23 Departure day."

Times should be included that players really know if they need to stay one more night. Also the rounds start time for one-round days - evening, afternoon, or mornings.

Vladimir Drkulec
08-21-2018, 01:44 PM
Several comments:
Budget: would be good to see with participation numbers, and even adding the past year championships for comparison.
Open Schedule:
"Wed, July 22 Round 9. Prize ceremony.
Thu, July 23 Departure day."

Times should be included that players really know if they need to stay one more night. Also the rounds start time for one-round days - evening, afternoon, or mornings.

There was an addendum that was sent out by email to my list of voting members. Here it is again.

Lyle Craver
08-21-2018, 09:31 PM
CYCC has a roughly 20% difference between 'conservative' 'realistic' and 'optimistic' while the Canadian Open has roughly a 10% difference between the three levels. Is this a reasonable assumption? How many players is each level supposed to represent?

Vladimir Drkulec
08-21-2018, 11:49 PM
Conservative is 250 kids, realistic is 350 kids and optimistic is 450 kids. There is a good chance they will get 50 kids from the Windsor area alone.

Fred McKim
08-24-2018, 09:34 AM
It appears there may not be any other bids during the meeting. This means we have the following events, all of which need to occur within the next 12 months, without a host

2019 Canadian Closed
2019 Canadian Junior (I think Gary Hua is interested)
2019 Canadian Senior
2019 Canadian Amateur (typically held by Hal - but none this year)

and
2019 or 2020 Canadian Women's Closed

Vladimir Drkulec
08-24-2018, 11:04 AM
It appears there may not be any other bids during the meeting. This means we have the following events, all of which need to occur within the next 12 months, without a host

2019 Canadian Closed
2019 Canadian Senior

and

I believe that at the time Gary Hua and his group put in the bid on 2018 they also asked to do the 2019 Canadian Junior. When we talk to him about the 2020 CYCC and Canadian Open we can talk to him about this and perhaps some alternatives for the winner of the 2018 tournament given the situation in Turkey.

Aris Marghetis
08-24-2018, 02:08 PM

2019 Canadian Closed
2019 Canadian Senior

and

I have initiated discussing with Hal, the possibility of Eastern Ontario (led by myself), running the 2019 Canadian Closed (perhaps with the Womens', etc). However, I don't know that we'll be able to report back in time before this meeting concludes.

ian findlay
08-24-2018, 02:36 PM

2019 Canadian Closed
2019 Canadian Senior

and

I will check with my colleagues in Alberta. I don't suppose there is any rule to Calgary hosting the Canadian Senior 2 years in a row? Or maybe the Canadian Closed. Unfortunately, it is very expensive to host tournaments in Banff, unless held in the 'shoulder season'. Typically mid November. Also hard to get to Banff.

Vladimir Drkulec
08-24-2018, 02:47 PM
I have initiated discussing with Hal, the possibility of Eastern Ontario (led by myself), running the 2019 Canadian Closed (perhaps with the Womens', etc). However, I don't know that we'll be able to report back in time before this meeting concludes.

Do try to get back to the board of directors as soon as you can put something together. It would be great if we could combine the two or more events in order to get them off the to do list. Hopefully the tourism contacts will come in handy though they are often looking for things two years out.

Aris Marghetis
08-24-2018, 03:08 PM
Do try to get back to the board of directors as soon as you can put something together. It would be great if we could combine the two or more events in order to get them off the to do list. Hopefully the tourism contacts will come in handy though they are often looking for things two years out.

Hello again, I checked with Hal, and here's what we know as of today. Hal and I had teamed up to consider running a larger event over the Easter long weekend. Our initial planning was to open it in 2019 or 2020. However, when I started following up on those tourism leads from yourself and Fred, there seems to be great interest for 2019. After several phone calls, and even visits, I am down to 4 location choices in the area heading west towards Toronto (the crucial market). I don't expect that we will be in a position to finalize our location choice until at least mid-September. However, once that is done, and I know all the price points; then the idea of, for example, combining the Canadian Closed, the Womens' Closed, even the Canadian Seniors; seems quite intriguing. The only event of those three that we would HAVE to have to proceed would be the flagship Canadian Closed itself. Any other sections added to that would be relatively seamless as part of a "chess festival". Hal and I can contact you when we know our location costs.

Thank you, and best regards, Aris.

Fred McKim
08-24-2018, 06:46 PM
Hello again, I checked with Hal, and here's what we know as of today. Hal and I had teamed up to consider running a larger event over the Easter long weekend. Our initial planning was to open it in 2019 or 2020. However, when I started following up on those tourism leads from yourself and Fred, there seems to be great interest for 2019. After several phone calls, and even visits, I am down to 4 location choices in the area heading west towards Toronto (the crucial market). I don't expect that we will be in a position to finalize our location choice until at least mid-September. However, once that is done, and I know all the price points; then the idea of, for example, combining the Canadian Closed, the Womens' Closed, even the Canadian Seniors; seems quite intriguing. The only event of those three that we would HAVE to have to proceed would be the flagship Canadian Closed itself. Any other sections added to that would be relatively seamless as part of a "chess festival". Hal and I can contact you when we know our location costs.

Thank you, and best regards, Aris.

Aris

This is exactly what we had in mind as a Chess Festival when we were making our presentations at CSTA. Throw in the Canadian Amateur and you've got a great event for everybody !!

Gary Hua
08-24-2018, 07:31 PM
This looks like a great chess festival coming up in 2019.

I look forward to the tournament already. Definitely will be there as it is about 2-3 hours away only.

Hopefully more information coming up in the next few months so that more people can start planning for the festival.

Cheers for Chess in Canada

ian findlay
08-24-2018, 08:27 PM

I look forward to the tournament already. Definitely will be there as it is about 2-3 hours away only.

Hopefully more information coming up in the next few months so that more people can start planning for the festival.

The only downside is someone wants to play in 2 concurrent events, since they are not mutually exclusive. In any case, sounds like a great idea and I too look forward to it.

Gary Hua
08-24-2018, 09:09 PM
Hi Aris,

I hope it does not conflict with Ontario Chess Challenge which is in April too. Someone highlighted to me

Gary

Aris Marghetis
08-24-2018, 09:17 PM

Thanks to everyone for your positive support! We're excited too. However, we gotta get some fundamental numbers right first, and then build the house on top of that.

(if there's any potential conflicts, please feel free to send any relevant details to arismarghetis at rogers dot com - I'm very keen on considering innovative solutions)

Pierre Dénommée
08-24-2018, 11:17 PM

For the Women Closed, FIDE has not yet awarded the next Women WC. According to the agenda of the 89th FIDE congress, no bid has been received.