PDA

View Full Version : 1. Agenda & Opening Comments of Chair

Lyle Craver
08-19-2018, 12:57 PM
AGM Meeting Monday August 20 to Sunday August 26, 2018
Chess Federation of Canada - Annual General Meeting - Incoming Voting Members - 20 - 26 August 2018

(Note to voting members: all votes open at 9pm ET, all votes and nominations close at 6pm ET, the meeting ends at 10pm ET on August 26th)

Part 1 - Agenda and Sign-in

1. Agenda & Opening Comments of Chair
2. voting member Sign-in

Part 2 - Election of voting members from Non-Affiliated Provinces / Territories

3. Election of voting members from Non-Affiliated Provinces/Territories (nominations close on day 3, if elections are required this will take place on days 4-5)

Part 3 - Elections of Federation Executive Members, Officers and other positions

4. Nomination of Candidates for Election (nominations close at 6pm ET August 22 - day 3, elections continue through 6pm ET August 25 - day 6)

DIRECTORS

4.1 President
4.2 Vice-President
4.3 Secretary
4.4 Treasurer
4.5 Youth Coordinator
4.6 FIDE Representative
4.7 Director at Large

OFFICERS

4.8 Rating Auditor
4.9 Publicity Officer
4.10 Women's Chess Coordinator

Members should note positions 1-7 make up the CFC Executive, 8-10 are non-Executive Officers of the Federation

5.A Elections of the above positions

5.B Election of Directors and Officers

6. Appointment of CFC Committee members: (nominations close at 6pm ET August 23 - day 3, elections for contested positions continue through 6pm ET August 25 - day 6)

* 6.1 Chess Foundation of Canada Trustees - Four year term:

* 6.2 Chess Foundation of Canada Trustees - One year term:

* 6.3 Kalev Pugi Fund Committee:

* 6.4 National Appeals Committee:

7. Election of CFC Committee members (see sections 4.1 - 4.11 - in sections 4.1 - 6.4 all positions where an election is being held is marked with *)

8.Discussion of agenda items

Voting on all items excluding voting members, Executive and Officers will begin on day 4 (August 23) and continue to the end of the meeting (August 26)

10. Bids for 2019/2020 Events

Mississauga Bid for CYCC/Canadian Open in 2020

10E Any other Bids/Business:

11. Other Business

New Agenda Items for discussion only.

12. Bids for National Championships 2019/20 and onward

13. Adjournment & Closing Comments by Chair

Vladimir Drkulec
08-19-2018, 10:30 PM
The CFC continues to grow in size though perhaps slowly and incrementally. I believe that we will continue to do so for the next few years. We should not become complacent but we should continue with actions that support the growth of chess. We are gathered to determine the direction of the CFC for the coming year.

I am happy to learn that most of the board of directors is standing again for the 2018-19 term. I believe that they all deserve our support.

We are also looking at an election at FIDE which can have some impact on our own efforts. We discussed this briefly in the last meeting before the field of candidates was finalized. There may be some lively discussion on this matter.

Thank you for your continued support and your efforts in organizing chess events and also your contribution as voting members in moving the CFC forward.

We have an impressive bid for the 2020 CYCC and Canadian Open from Mississauga and Toronto with support that arose from contacts made at the Canadian Sports Tourism Alliance conference in Halifax in March attended by Fred McKim and myself. I find this very encouraging.

Lets dig in and get to work on the issues we have to deal with and the candidates for various offices.

Aris Marghetis
08-20-2018, 11:58 AM
The CFC continues to grow in size though perhaps slowly and incrementally. I believe that we will continue to do so for the next few years. We should not become complacent but we should continue with actions that support the growth of chess. We are gathered to determine the direction of the CFC for the coming year.

I am happy to learn that most of the board of directors is standing again for the 2018-19 term. I believe that they all deserve our support.

We are also looking at an election at FIDE which can have some impact on our own efforts. We discussed this briefly in the last meeting before the field of candidates was finalized. There may be some lively discussion on this matter.

Thank you for your continued support and your efforts in organizing chess events and also your contribution as voting members in moving the CFC forward.

We have an impressive bid for the 2020 CYCC and Canadian Open from Mississauga and Toronto with support that arose from contacts made at the Canadian Sports Tourism Alliance conference in Halifax in March attended by Fred McKim and myself. I find this very encouraging.

Lets dig in and get to work on the issues we have to deal with and the candidates for various offices.

I commend both you and Fred for your work in Halifax. Since then, I have had very good discussions with Kingston, Bay of Quinte, etc. Thanks for getting that kickstarted!

Fred McKim
08-20-2018, 12:05 PM
I commend both you and Fred for your work in Halifax. Since then, I have had very good discussions with Kingston, Bay of Quinte, etc. Thanks for getting that kickstarted!

Next year's meeting is in Ottawa, Aris. Perhaps you can attend with a member of the Executive.

Aris Marghetis
08-20-2018, 09:09 PM
Next year's meeting is in Ottawa, Aris. Perhaps you can attend with a member of the Executive.

I would be delighted to!

Lyle Craver
08-25-2018, 09:20 PM
REPORT ON ELECTIONS

Elections are now complete and the following are our Executive and Officers for 2018-2019:

Executive
President - Vladimir Drkulec
Vice President - Egidijus Zeromskis
Secretary – Lyle Craver
Treasurer – Fred McKim
Youth Coordinator – Christina Tao
FIDE Representative – Hal Bond
Director at Large – Mark Dutton

Officers
Ratings Auditor – Paul Leblanc
Publicity Officer – none
Womens’ Coordinator - Pierre Dénommée
Masters' Representative - Victor Plotkin (serves until next Canadian Closed)

Other positions (considered officers but not automatic Voting Members)
Chess Foundation of Canada Trustees
2015-2019 Lloyd Lombard
2016-2020 Paul Leblanc
2017-2021 Hans Jung
2018-2022 Hugh Brodie
2018-2019 Ian Findlay

Kalev Pugi Fund Trustees - Christina Tao, Michael Lo, Felix Dumont

National Appeals Committee – Serge Archimbault, Ilia Bluvshtein, Richard Bowes, Mark Dutton, Aris Marghetis (Egidius Zeromskis indicated he would resign if elected to the CFC Executive and the 6th place finisher was appointed by the president)

A very special thanks to all of you who participated both by voting and as candidates.

Fred McKim
08-25-2018, 09:41 PM
Thanks for your efficient work on this year after year, Lyle.

Aris Marghetis
08-25-2018, 10:46 PM
As Egis was elected as both CFC Vice-President AND for the National Appeals Committee, would it be appropriate for him to consider stepping down from the latter, making way for Serge Archambault? I'm not saying this HAS to be done, but my gut tells me to engage as many volunteers as possible, and Serge is certainly deeply experienced.

Just my 2c worth, I'm unsure how these things could/should/would work.

Thanks and regards, Aris.

Fred McKim
08-25-2018, 11:03 PM
As Egis was elected as both CFC Vice-President AND for the National Appeals Committee, would it be appropriate for him to consider stepping down from the latter, making way for Serge Archambault? I'm not saying this HAS to be done, but my gut tells me to engage as many volunteers as possible, and Serge is certainly deeply experienced.

Both Egis and Mark fall into this category. Chris Mallon is also a worthy committee member.

Pierre Dénommée
08-25-2018, 11:25 PM

If the Federal system is working the same way as the Quebec system, in case of a resignation, it is up for the Board of Directors to appoint a replacement. The actual voting result is irrelevant.

Egidijus Zeromskis
08-26-2018, 10:18 AM
As I wrote before I put my nomination for the NAC with a condition: if elected to the Ex., no NAC seat for me.

Fred McKim
08-26-2018, 11:00 AM
As I wrote before I put my nomination for the NAC with a condition: if elected to the Ex., no NAC seat for me.

Thanks for bringing that to our attention Egis; Vlad and Lyle will have to sort out what this means in terms of your replacement .... this isn't quite as simple as the Director at Large election.

Vladimir Drkulec
08-26-2018, 12:44 PM
Since we knew at the time of the election that Egidijus would not stand if he won a position on the board of directors and we did have an election I believe that we should move to the next candidate by vote tally which is Serge Archimbault. Even though the elections are simultaneous in theory they are serial events and so as soon as Egidijus won the vice presidency he withdrew from consideration from the NAC. Everyone running for this position was capable of serving. This is a committee which I hope will not have much work. I do not anticipate in the event that the committee does have work that we will see any appeals to the board of directors which resulted from the situation where the person appealing to the committee in 2017 was misled by a statement from our executive director that he should wait for the committee members to contact him.

Proper procedures to follow in an appeal probably belong in the revised handbook to avoid such things in the future. My brother who lives in Dallas mentioned to my parents that this situation landed in the Dallas newspapers a few days ago with my name mentioned probably gleaned from quotes online since they did not talk to me.

Pierre Dénommée
08-26-2018, 02:11 PM
It is not clear that it is proper to allow appeal to the Executive. FIDE already accept appeals from all the NAC of the World. If the event is not FIDE rated, the situation is different.

According to Federal standards, there must be a way to appeal a decision of the Executive, not the other way around. http://www.crdsc-sdrcc.ca/eng/dispute-resource-contract-templates . Complying with that is a required for most Federal subsidies. It is certain that the NFP Act allow for that because everybody does it to receive Sports Canada money.

Vladimir Drkulec
08-26-2018, 03:18 PM
The board is always the highest level of appeal within the CFC. We are the ones who are personally financially responsible for the CFC and its actions and as a result we get the final say. If someone does not like the decision of the executive, they can bring it to the voting members though the voting members cannot encroach on decisions that are clearly within the purview of the executive lest they incur the liability for that decision. This is not an abstract point as if it goes to court it can easily result in judgements for lawyers fees which can wipe out the accumulated assets of the CFC very quickly. The voting members can change the board of directors but they do have to trust them to do what is best for the CFC while they hold that office.

At the moment we do not get any federal subsidies. I do not anticipate that changing any time soon.

The case that resulted in appeal to the board of directors in 2017 was unique in that incorrect information was given to the person who appealed to the NAC by the Executive Director and as a result the person appealing the decision to the NAC felt that he had not been given the opportunity to fully state his case. I don't anticipate that unique set of circumstances to happen again and it is likely that there may not even be any appeals to the NAC. I don't anticipate the board of directors hearing any more appeals from NAC matters.

Fred McKim
08-26-2018, 04:30 PM
The case that resulted in appeal to the board of directors in 2017 was unique in that incorrect information was given to the person who appealed to the NAC by the Executive Director and as a result the person appealing the decision to the NAC felt that he had not been given the opportunity to fully state his case. I don't anticipate that unique set of circumstances to happen again and it is likely that there may not even be any appeals to the NAC. I don't anticipate the board of directors hearing any more appeals from NAC matters.

At the risk of opening old wounds, I take full responsibility for Nikolay holding back all of the information, it was not Bob's doing. One has to understand that the existing CFC Handbook was written in the day where information passed by Canada Post. Here is the CFC Handbook

"1248. The CFC Business Office will write to the players involved, the TD, and the members of the AC, providing them with the information provided by the appellant, and requesting them to confirm the facts and provide any additional facts or other relevant information.

1249. When all the relevant information has been received the CFC Business Office will forward it to the members of the NAC, who will thereupon consider and rule on the appeal."

Again, I think these instructions are a bit archaic, and with a timeline to name a player looming, I talked to Bob and instructed him to send the NAC members all of the e-mails of the players and officials, with the idea the NAC would contact who they wanted to speak to (and at the very least Nikolay). Either this was lost in translation or they decided they didn't need any information, and Nikolay was unable to give them his additional information. He was allowed to present it to the Executive for the Appeal of the NAC decision. My opinion was that the members of the Executive who were on the NAC should not be involved in the appeal to the Executive - as it turned out the vote was something like 4-1, without them.