PDA

View Full Version : 06.4 Nominations for National Appeals Committee (5 to be elected)

Lyle Craver
08-19-2017, 03:56 AM
The CFC National Appeals Committee is established under Handbook section 12 and is provided for the benefit of

"Any player (or TD when his decision was overruled by the local appeals committee) affected by the decision of a local appeals committee may appeal that decision to the National Appeals Committee"

Members of the NAC are expected to be familiar with both the rules of the CFC Handbook and the FIDE Laws of Chess. It is not necessary to be an International Arbiter or FIDE Arbiter to be elected though many past NAC members are.

There are 5 (five) positions to be elected - please place your nominations here.

Fred McKim
08-20-2017, 11:05 AM
Now that we have established that a NAC decision can go to the CFC Board of Directors for further review, I'd like to see the NAC consist of non-CFC Directors. That may be impossible, but I encourage new people to step forward.

Michael Barron
08-20-2017, 06:16 PM
I nominate Ilia Bluvshtein

Fred McKim
08-20-2017, 08:43 PM
I nominate Chris Mallon (ON). Chris is a Fide Arbiter and a former CFC President. Chris is willing to stand.

Fred McKim
08-20-2017, 08:47 PM
I nominate Egidijus Zeromskis (ON). Egidijus was until recently a VM and directed the recent Aurora Summer Open (144 players). Egidijus is willing to stand.

Fred McKim
08-20-2017, 09:07 PM
Incumbent, Pierre Dénommée wishes to serve again on the NAC.

Ilia Bluvshtein
08-20-2017, 09:14 PM
I nominate Ilia Bluvshtein
I'm willing to stand.
Thanks,
Ilia Bluvshtein

Pierre Dénommée
08-20-2017, 09:51 PM
I am willing to stand.

Lyle Craver
08-22-2017, 09:36 AM
I also am willing to stand and also wish to nominate Mark Dutton

Mark S. Dutton, I.A.
08-22-2017, 11:00 AM
I am willing to stand for one of the 5 positions on the NAC.

I have been the Chairman of this Committee for the last dozen years.

Thanks for the nomination Lyle!

I completely disagree with Fred McKim that the NAC consist of non CFC directors.

This is not a luxury we can afford. We need experienced IAs on this committee.

Thanks for your consideration.

Mark S. Dutton, I.A., I.O.

Fred McKim
08-22-2017, 11:24 AM

I completely disagree with Fred McKim that the NAC consist of non CFC directors.

Hi Mark. Vlad has since posted that the appeal of the NAC Decision was a one time occurrence, so from my perspective there should be no issues in the future.

Vladimir Drkulec
08-22-2017, 01:02 PM

I agree with the idea that we need the most experienced IA's possible on the NAC and on the Executive. When there is a potential for an appeal to the NAC both directors and employees of the CFC need to butt out and avoid fueling any controversy and most importantly not provide any incorrect information to applicants. The handbook is quite out of date in this and other areas and should not be relied upon as many of its provisions were written when no one had email. In this most recent case, I believe that the NAC performed admirably while under time pressure to come to a decision. I'm sure this most recent case will be featured in an upcoming FIDE arbiter magazine.

Fred McKim
08-22-2017, 02:31 PM
I agree with the idea that we need the most experienced IA's possible on the NAC and on the Executive. When there is a potential for an appeal to the NAC both directors and employees of the CFC need to butt out and avoid fueling any controversy and most importantly not provide any incorrect information to applicants. The handbook is quite out of date in this and other areas and should not be relied upon as many of its provisions were written when no one had email. In this most recent case, I believe that the NAC performed admirably while under time pressure to come to a decision. I'm sure this most recent case will be featured in an upcoming FIDE arbiter magazine.

Vlad, I would tend to disagree with your contention that "we need the most experienced IA's possible on the ... Executive". Obviously that is a useful asset, but it takes other skills beside that one to be good Executive member. Just today you said it yourself, diversity of opinion is important.

Hal Bond
08-22-2017, 03:13 PM
I side with Mark and Lyle on this question. I also agree with Les Bunning that the Executive should not have heard this appeal and would like to present a motion for the next VM meeting to clarify that NAC decisions are FINAL.

Vladimir Drkulec
08-22-2017, 03:52 PM
Vlad, I would tend to disagree with your contention that "we need the most experienced IA's possible on the ... Executive". Obviously that is a useful asset, but it takes other skills beside that one to be good Executive member. Just today you said it yourself, diversity of opinion is important.

We have three of them on the Executive out of seven and it is good to have some of them.

Fred McKim
08-22-2017, 03:54 PM
We have three of them on the Executive out of seven and it is good to have some of them.

You are correct there, Vlad.

Richard Bérubé
08-22-2017, 05:21 PM
I nominate Pierre Dénommée for the National appeals Commitee (NAC).

Richard Bérubé