PDA

View Full Version : 5B5 - NEW MOTIONS - Olympic Team Selection (Moved Victor Plotkin,Seconded Fred McKim)

Lyle Craver
11-18-2016, 11:52 PM
Motion 5B5. Motion #5. Bonuses for young players.

5 points for every full year of age under 23. This bonus will be added to any base rating number ((last rating, average rating or highest rating).

Richard Bowes
11-25-2016, 08:16 AM
I disagree with age discrimination in Olympiad team selection. The Olympiad shouldn't be used as a training ground for young players. Older players who have otherwise earned their standing and the right to play on the team shouldn't lose that opportunity simply because of their age.

Lyle Craver
11-25-2016, 01:04 PM
The above posting was originally posted in the "Voting Booth" thread - since Mr Bowes is a new VM I moved it here rather than deleting it altogether.

Again - if there's a technical question concerning a motion (such as an obvious typo) it's OK to post it in the Voting Booth threads. If it's a comment on the merits or otherwise of the motion post it in the discussion thread since in most cases if posted in the Voting Booth threads I would delete it without notice.

"Go forth and sin no more!"

Pierre Dénommée
11-25-2016, 08:29 PM
I disagree with age discrimination in Olympiad team selection. The Olympiad shouldn't be used as a training ground for young players. Older players who have otherwise earned their standing and the right to play on the team shouldn't lose that opportunity simply because of their age.

I also disagree. It is the only part of the motion on which I have voted.

Do we know the exact time of the closing of the voting booth tomorrow?

Victor Plotkin
11-26-2016, 12:03 AM
Giving the preference to younger players was the main idea for the Selection Committee. In reality, last 4 campaigns the Selection Committee did not give this preference. The opposite. In 2012 and 2016, the oldest possible player was selected.

Since I want to eliminate Selection Committee, I think that the small bonus for juniors is important. Player like Razvan Preotu would get 25 or 20 points for the next Olympiad because of his younger age. Taking into account that FIDE rating is slightly lagging for young players, I do not believe my proposal would make our team weaker.

Even for this campaign many players considered Preotu as a better choice for the National Team than both Sambuev and LeSiege. Razvan's rating was about 80(!) points below Sambuev's one and 40 points below LeSiege's rating. 20 or 25 points is much less than 80 or 40.

Vladimir Drkulec
11-26-2016, 12:56 AM
I also disagree. It is the only part of the motion on which I have voted.

Do we know the exact time of the closing of the voting booth tomorrow?

The meeting and all polls will be extended for one week due to connection issues associated with moving our server.