PDA

View Full Version : 5A5 - DISCUSSION ITEMS - New Business

Lyle Craver
11-18-2016, 11:37 PM
Any Voting Member wishing to discuss any matter not on the agenda is welcome to post here.

If any specific topic generates enough postings to warrant a separate thread I'll create the thread and move all discussion on it there.

Pierre Dénommée
11-21-2016, 03:29 PM
On December 3rd, there will be an LTD seminar in French in Montreal, I will be the lecturer. All candidates who will successfully write the exam on Sunday will be granted the FQE LTD title.

There should not be two separate LTD certifications for Quebec and Canada. It should be possible to get the CFC LTD title by simply paying the licence fee after successfully completing the Quebec examination. I cannot guarantee that any participant will have an interest in the CFC title, I only want to emphasize that having two examinations is counterproductive especially since the CFC is making now effort to make public his own Tournament Rules which are the only significant difference with the FQE content.

Lyle Craver
11-21-2016, 04:09 PM
Which "own tournament rules" do you have in mind? The CFC follows FIDE much closer than does the USCF.

I would definitely support harmonizing these though if the CFC were updating the curriculum would think a module on how to submit reports via the software should be part of it at least for the lowest level.

I would also expect the updated FIDE language on time controls to be an important change from 10 or so years ago when the CFC last updated these.

The essential problem with TD certification is that I don't think we have an appetite to make certification mandatory and everybody agrees certification is useful but barely on the priority list at all. At the present time of CTD, RTD, NTD, IA the last named is the only one I hold that anybody notices at all!

Pierre Dénommée
11-21-2016, 07:57 PM
For the tournament rules, see http://chess.ca/sites/default/files/07-08gl2.pdf .

Pierre Dénommée
11-22-2016, 12:21 AM
It is better at page 35 of this GL. Not everything in this has been approved.

http://chess.ca/sites/default/files/07-08gl3.pdf

The result of voting http://chess.ca/sites/default/files/07-08gl4.pdf

The CFC also has a Code of Ethics that is very similar to the FQE Code of Ethic.

Valer Eugen Demian
11-23-2016, 05:41 PM
There has to be a better way for CFC to manage FIDE title renewals! I have raised this point last meeting as well: the FIDE Instructor/ Trainer titles of Canadians need renewal and some - like me - wish to do it in time; no answer was given so far. How do we ensure this is going to happen?

P.S. Right now my FIDE Instructor title needs renewal for a few months already, I wish to pay it and the CFC office does not answer in any way. FIDE advised me to do it via the CFC office, so how do I get unstuck please?... Looking forward to any replies and actions. Thank you!

Vladimir Drkulec
11-24-2016, 01:38 AM
There has to be a better way for CFC to manage FIDE title renewals! I have raised this point last meeting as well: the FIDE Instructor/ Trainer titles of Canadians need renewal and some - like me - wish to do it in time; no answer was given so far. How do we ensure this is going to happen?

P.S. Right now my FIDE Instructor title needs renewal for a few months already, I wish to pay it and the CFC office does not answer in any way. FIDE advised me to do it via the CFC office, so how do I get unstuck please?... Looking forward to any replies and actions. Thank you!

Send a cheque, bank transfer, echeck or a paypal payment (plus the fee) for the amount of the FIDE renewal fee to the CFC office and indicate that the payment is for renewing your FIDE license. Bank transfers or echecks are quite cheap in some cases with a fee of one dollar which can be cheaper than Paypal fees.

Don't try to get Bob on a rating update day or when there are problems with the website. He does have to go out of the office to collect mail and send mail. If you don't get him at one time try again a little later. There is a possibility to leave voice messages and Bob is usually good about returning calls.

Valer Eugen Demian
11-25-2016, 03:10 PM
Send a cheque, bank transfer, echeck or a paypal payment (plus the fee) for the amount of the FIDE renewal fee to the CFC office and indicate that the payment is for renewing your FIDE license. Bank transfers or echecks are quite cheap in some cases with a fee of one dollar which can be cheaper than Paypal fees.

Don't try to get Bob on a rating update day or when there are problems with the website. He does have to go out of the office to collect mail and send mail. If you don't get him at one time try again a little later. There is a possibility to leave voice messages and Bob is usually good about returning calls.

I was contacted as a result of my post here and we are on our way to solve the situation; that is the good news!...

My case provides a good opportunity to improve how we do business:
I contacted Rene Preotu and FIDE back in August when I saw (accidentally) the FIDE list missing my name. FIDE advised me (via Rene) they have provided CFC with the list of Canadian titles due to be renewed at the beginning of the year. I was not made aware of it by anyone prior to it, so I sent an email to the CFC office. I got no answer back. It took until this meeting (November) to get an invoice and point out that my payment information is on file in the CFC office. I fully understand the CFC office is busy and appreciate all the work and support; however there must be a better/ faster way of dealing with this kind of situations, don't you think? Any other professional membership fees I pay are a result of being reminded well ahead of time when the due date comes up. We should be able to have it done the same here.

Richard Bérubé
11-25-2016, 05:41 PM
Hi Lyle,

The FQE has translated the FIDE laws of chess new edition into french. This document will be used to build an official FIDE rule book in french as was asked to AIDEF by FIDE.

Richard Bérubé
11-25-2016, 05:48 PM
List of tournaments who needs an organizer

Somebody can tell me what tournament needs an organizer for 2017 ?
Women Championship ?
Canadian Closed (Zonal) ?
Junior ?

The FQE can surely organize one or two of those.

Lyle Craver
11-26-2016, 12:17 PM
Hi Lyle,

The FQE has translated the FIDE laws of chess new edition into french. This document will be used to build an official FIDE rule book in french as was asked to AIDEF by FIDE.

Can I assume this is on behalf of the entire French-speaking world? E.g. that the French federation and the rest of francophone countries will be using it as well?

Hal Bond
11-28-2016, 08:00 AM
Richard - thank you for asking about our national tournaments. The Women's Closed was held this year, so 2018 is ok for that one.

The Canadian Junior and Canadian Zonal Championship are both awaiting bids.

Vladimir Drkulec
11-28-2016, 07:22 PM
List of tournaments who needs an organizer

Somebody can tell me what tournament needs an organizer for 2017 ?
Women Championship ?
Canadian Closed (Zonal) ?
Junior ?

The FQE can surely organize one or two of those.

None of those tournaments has an organizer at the present time.

Pierre Dénommée
11-28-2016, 11:11 PM
Richard - thank you for asking about our national tournaments. The Women's Closed was held this year, so 2018 is ok for that one.

The Canadian Junior and Canadian Zonal Championship are both awaiting bids.

Why not doing a non zonal Canadian Women Championship on in 2017? We can still get titles without foreign players with 3 or more WIM.

Richard Bérubé
11-29-2016, 02:52 PM
Can I assume this is on behalf of the entire French-speaking world? E.g. that the French federation and the rest of francophone countries will be using it as well?

Yes, that is so.

Garland Best
12-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Richard, if the FQE could take on the Canadian Closed that would be excellent!