PDA

View Full Version : New Nigerian scam

Michael Barron
04-30-2009, 10:07 PM
I got email from "Vlad Dobrich" <vladdobrich@yahoo.ca>:

"How are you doing? I am sorry I didn't inform you about my traveling for a Missionary program. It is currently held in Nigeria, Sweden and Kenya. I am presently in Nigeria. It as been a very sad and bad moment for me because I got robbed on my way to the hotel where I lodged. My ID, Credit card, cash and other valuables I have with me got stolen, I contacted the embassy here to help me out but it will take some time to get back to me. I urgently need your financial assistance. The total sum of money that i would need would be $2,500 to sort-out my hotel bills and get myself back home. I will appreciate your help, I promise I will pay you back upon my return, Let me know if you can assist me so that i can send you the details to use when sending the money through western union. Peace & Joy.

Hope to hear from you soon.

sincerely,

Vlad"

Hi Vlad,

If you're not using your <vladdobrich@yahoo.ca> address anymore, please ask Yahoo to deactivate it - otherwise some scam artists could use it (and your name) for their purpose...

Kerry Liles
04-30-2009, 11:03 PM
I got email from "Vlad Dobrich" <vladdobrich@yahoo.ca>:

"How are you doing? I am sorry I didn't inform you about my traveling for a Missionary program. It is currently held in Nigeria, Sweden and Kenya. I am presently in Nigeria. It as been a very sad and bad moment for me because I got robbed on my way to the hotel where I lodged. My ID, Credit card, cash and other valuables I have with me got stolen, I contacted the embassy here to help me out but it will take some time to get back to me. I urgently need your financial assistance. The total sum of money that i would need would be $2,500 to sort-out my hotel bills and get myself back home. I will appreciate your help, I promise I will pay you back upon my return, Let me know if you can assist me so that i can send you the details to use when sending the money through western union. Peace & Joy.

Hope to hear from you soon.

sincerely,

Vlad"

Hi Vlad,

If you're not using your <vladdobrich@yahoo.ca> address anymore, please ask Yahoo to deactivate it - otherwise some scam artists could use it (and your name) for their purpose...

Michael, it may be that this likely has nothing at all to do with Vlad - it could be someone who has both your email and Vlad's (old, yahoo?) email address in their address book. That person may have a virus that sends the scam email to contacts from random other contacts... anyway, since "From:" addresses and email headers in general are notoriously spoofable, the best thing is to ignore this debris...

Michael Barron
04-30-2009, 11:14 PM
Hi Kerry,

Yes, you're right.

I guess, I'm not the only one who received such email, so it's better to let people know...

Hugh Brodie
05-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Note this one I received some time ago with a {presumed} forged "From" name, and signed by the same.

---------------------------------------------------------------

From Michael Barron Date May-31-08 2:26:00 PM
To [a long string of chess-related email addresses beginning with "a" and "b" - including Bareev, Bluvshtein, Belzberg, Bevand, Bond, etc.]
Subject (IMF: 7) hello

Dear Madam/sir,
We are a wholesaler which deal with all kinds of such electronic
products as motorcycles, TV, Notebooks, Phones, Psp, Projectors, GPS,
DVD, DV, DC, MP3/4, musical instruments,toys, watches and so on. We can
offer quality goods with reasonable price. We deliver our items by EMS
to our customers around the world,
When you have time, welcome to visit our website and contact us.
Thanks.
If you have any question, please don¡¯t hesitate to let us know. We
will glad to help you.
Welcome to our website and enjoy your purchasing.
Our website: ((www.setgert.com))
MSN: { setgert@hotmail.com }
Mail:{ setgert@hotmail.com }
Mail:{ setgert@yahoo.cn }
I hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks and Regards,
Michael Barron.

Michael Barron
05-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Hi Hugh,

Yes, this incident happened almost a year ago - it was some kind of virus that got access to my Yahoo account and sent this message to all contacts in my Address Book.

After I changed my password such messages stopped.

Hope no harm was done.
My apology for inconvenience it was caused.