PDA

View Full Version : 9. BIDS FOR 2016/2017 Events

Lyle Craver
08-08-2015, 12:23 AM
Voting Members are welcome to post bids in the appropriate message threads. These are as follows:

9A 2016 Canadian Open

9B 2016 CYCC

9C 2017 Canadian Open/CYCC Bid received from Sault St. Marie

9D 2016 Canadian Seniors Tournament bid from BC

9E Any other Bids/Business:

9F Next Canadian Women's Closed

If you are posting a bid please use the 9A-9F title listed above

Paul Leblanc
08-09-2015, 12:53 PM
9.D.
CFC Event Proposal
Event:
2016 Canadian Senior Championship
Comfort Inn, 8255 166th St., Surrey, BC. Excellent pub and Tim Hortons restaurant on site
Date(s):
24-26 June 2016
Organizing Body:
Victoria Jung-Doknjas, Paul Leblanc
TDs:
Joe Roback, NA
Internet, social media:
Dedicated website and Facebook page, links on CFC and BCCF websites
Tournament Room Description:
1100 sq ft, rectangular, room for 44 players, some natural light as well as good overhead lighting
Skittles room:
200 sq ft close to tournament room
Format and Rounds:
6 round swiss
Time Control:
Game in 90 and 30 sec increment
Sections:
One section. Top 65 yr and 50 yr players recognized
Equipment:
(chess sets, clocks, score sheets, etc) All provided
Prize Fund:
Trophies, $500 guaranteed prize fund.
1. Can Senior Champion 65+ wins Trophy + $130
2. 2nd Place 65+ wins Trophy + $60
3. Can Senior Champion 50+ wins Trophy + $130
4. 2nd Place 50+ wins Trophy + $60
5. U1800 Senior Champion wins Trophy + $60
6. U1600 Senior Champion wins Trophy + $60
7. Can Senior Woman Champion wins Trophy
8. Can Senior Champion 80+ wins Trophy
Entry Fees:
$50 early, $65 late
Rated:
FIDE, CFC
CFC Revenue or Financial Support:
None requested
Date submitted:
6 July 2015 (Victoria Jung-Doknjas and Paul Leblanc)

Vladimir Drkulec
08-09-2015, 09:14 PM
2017 Canadian Youth Chess Championship- Sault Ste. Marie Proposed Budget

Income

Account
Budget
Committed
Actual

Entry Fees (based on 250 entries)
$ 56,250.00

Sponsor Government Federal
TBA

Sponsor Government Provincial
TBA

Tourism Sault Ste. Marie
$ 10,000.00

Sponsor(s) Business

Sponsor(s) Private

Chess Sponsor(s)
TBA

Commission

Other Income (Residence)
$ 25,000.00

Concessions
TBA

Total Income
$ 91,250.00

Expenses

Account

CFC Portion/ Prize Fund
$ 37,500.00

Trophies/ Medals
$ 4,000.00

Rent
$ 2,500.00

Advertising
$ 3,500.00

Organization/ TD Fees/ Volunteers
$ 10,000.00

Equipment
$ 4,000.00

Web Expenses
$ 2,000.00

Appearance Fees

All Player Transportation
$ 4,000.00

Strong Player Other

CFC Rating Fee (250 players)
$ 125.00

FIDE Rating Fee (@125 players)
$ 312.50

Reception
$ 7,500.00

Rental (Residence)
$ 12,500.00

Miscellaneous
$ 2,500.00

Other

Total Expenses
$ 90,437.50

Profit/Loss

$ 812.50

Vladimir Drkulec
08-09-2015, 09:14 PM
2017 Canadian Open Chess Championship

Income

Account
Budget

Entry Fees (based on 200 entries)
$ 30,000.00

Sponsor Government Federal
TBA

Sponsor Government Provincial
TBA

Tourism Sault Ste. Marie
$ 10,000.00

Sponsor(s) Business
$ 5,000.00

Sponsor(s) Private
$ 10,000.00

Chess Sponsor(s)
TBA

Commission

Other Income (Residence)
$ 50,000.00

Concessions
TBA

Total Income
$ 105,000.00

Expenses

Account

CFC Portion/ Prize Fund
$ 30,000.00

Trophies/ Medals
$ 500.00

Rent
$ 2,500.00

Advertising
$ 2,500.00

Organization/ TD Fees/ Volunteers
$ 15,000.00

Equipment
$ 2,000.00

Web Expenses
$ 1,000.00

Appearance Fees
$ 10,000.00

All Player Transportation
$ 3,000.00

Strong Player Other
$ 12,000.00

CFC Rating Fee (250 players)
$ 850.00

FIDE Rating Fee (@125 players)
$ 250.00

Reception

Rental (Residence)
$ 25,000.00

Miscellaneous

Other

Total Expenses
$ 104,600.00

Profit/Loss

$ 400.00

Vladimir Drkulec
08-09-2015, 09:50 PM
The bid presented by Roman Peredun on behalf of the Sault Ste. Marie committee included an impressive series of letters of support from Christian Provenzano the Mayor, Ian McMillan the Executive Director of Tourism Sault Ste. Marie, Janice Beatty VP of Sault College where the tournament would be held, and Lori Wagner Porter Airlines Manager for Groups Charters and Conferences.

The two pdf files that were submitted along with the package are too large to post here. I will try to figure out a way to deliver them before the end of the meeting.

There are a few slight errors in the budgets that I have pointed out like the rating fees for the Canadian Open were a cut and paste from CYCC but overall a very impressive bid. The organizers have committed to raising more funds to make an even larger tournament. The proposal is their minimum promise and sponsorship.

Sault Ste. Marie is pleased to submit a bid to host both the 2017 Canadian Youth Chess Championship and the 2017
Canadian Open Chess Championship in our Naturally Gifted community.
Sault Ste. Marie is the Natural Choice; centrally located in Ontario, poised in the middle of the magnificent Great
Lakes and strategically placed in the centre of North America. As an International Border City, Sault Ste. Marie
provides all the first class facilities and amenities one would expect in a larger urban setting- often at more affordable
prices!
Through our partnering airlines, travel to the city of Sault Ste. Marie is quicker than driving across most urban city
centers. With discounted group rates with Porter Airlines and Air Canada, travellers can connect flights leaving from
Toronto and in less than ninety minutes be in our city’s downtown core. With minimal traffic, it is easy and convenient
for guests to reach their accommodations and attractions quickly and affordably.
Sault Ste. Marie has an established relationship with our partner airlines and preliminary planning has started to
explore travel options including charter flights and discounted travel rates for attendees of the 2017 Chess
Championships. Tourism Sault Ste. Marie is committed to assist the organizing committee in negotiating discounted
rates and convenient and affordable flights for attendees for both events.
With over 1200 guest rooms in brand-name hotels, there is no shortage of affordable accommodation options. All
facilities in Sault Ste. Marie are competitively priced, most often at more affordable rates than larger urban centers,
and offer free parking and free Wi-Fi services.
While visiting Sault Ste. Marie visitors will have plenty to see and do. Our community offers a wide variety of unique
attractions including the Canadian Bushplane Heritage Centre, Tree Top Adventures, Entomica and the ErmatingerClergue
Heritage Discovery Centre. Through the support of our attraction partners, Tourism Sault Ste. Marie is
pleased to work together to potentially offer discounted rates for participants and their families to encourage everyone
to get out and see our community during your stay.
The tournament venue- Sault College- is located in the north central section of the city extremely close to many major
hotels and local motels, shopping and dining. With recent infrastructure upgrades and new construction, Sault
College offers many attractive areas that are sure to be suitable for tournament play. Also, the Sault College
Residence will be made available for additional accommodation options for participants who wish to stay onsite.
Tourism Sault Ste. Marie recognizes the economic impact of hosting an event of this size, and as such is committed to
investing $10,000 to help offset the cost of facility rental and travel. Additionally, Tourism Sault Ste. Marie will
continue to work with the organizing committee to complete applications for additional funding from local, provincial
and federal levels.
We are confident that Sault Ste. Marie will provide an incredible backdrop to the 2017 Canadian Youth Chess
Championships and the 2017 Canadian Open Chess Championships. We are thrilled to have the opportunity to bid to
host these back-to-back national and international events in our community.

Vladimir Drkulec
08-09-2015, 10:02 PM
Chess Federation of CanadaBid Deliverables
2017 Canadian Youth Chess Championship &2017 Canadian Open Chess Championship
Organizing Body Sault Ste. Marie Chess Association
Chief Organizer Roman Peredun
Organizing Committee
Roman Peredun
Andrew Peredun
Tim Pearson
Alana Kenopic - Tourism Sault Ste.
MarieKarli Campbell - Sault College
Trevor Rising - Sault College

Advertising / Publicity Independent website, cfc webpage, local news, 3rd party chess websites Internet Site / Coverage Independent website

City Sault Ste. Marie, OntarioAddress 443 Northern Avenue, Sault Ste. Marie, ONP6B 4J3
Location Description Sault College Health and Wellness Centre & Essar Hall -newly constructed -free onsite parking -150 residence rooms on site -onsite cafeteria / restaurant
Multiple brand hotels, motels and restaurants within 10 minwalking distance
Tournament Room(s)20,000 square foot gymnasium carpeted, air conditioned
pictures attached
Analysis Room(s)3 available rooms each comfortably seating 40
large common area with tables pictures attached
Registration Online through website, onsite
Bid Deliverables Continued
Dates Tentative: CYCC July 3-6th or 7th, 2017
Tentative: Open July 8-16th, 2017
FormatCYCC: standard age divisions swiss or round robin based on entries
Open: sectional swissOPENU2300 U2000 U1700 U1400 / unr fee to play up (<100 points), highest rating used
Time Controls 40/90 + 30 SD with 30 sec inc (FIDE OFFICIAL)
Rounds CYCC: 7 Open: 10
Playoffs To break first place ties only Rated By CFC (all sections), FIDE where possible
Equipment Provided Sets, clocks
Prize Fund $30,000.00 or more Entry Fees CYCC: as mandated by CFC ($225)
Open: $150 early then increasing estimated TDs Hal Bond TBD
Side EventsDaily Events: blitz, bughouse, other variant tournaments
opening / closing ceremonies
lectures / simuls from invited players
possible GM training camp
Accommodation Sault College Residences, Hotels/ Motels nearby(see attached)
Budgets Attached for both CYCC and OpenDate Submitted:Submitted By: Roman Peredun

Félix Dumont
08-10-2015, 08:51 PM
A very interesting bid (CYCC/CO). A few comments :

- The idea of renting the residence is interesting, although I am not convinced all the rooms would be rented.
- Quite a few of the numbers seem way too high to me (TD fees, equipment, web expenses).
- I would budget much more than $10 000 in appearance fees if having norms is a goal (especially if this includes rooms).
- The sponsorship goal is very ambitious. Does the CFC have any guarantee that the organizers have the financial support required in case of a deficit (as the tournament seems extremely risky)?
- I honestly do not like the idea of having a CYCC on 7 days. I know some parents will prefer that, but many simply won't be able to take vacations for the tournament (or afford 7 nights of hotel). It could greatly hurt the participation.
- What is ''All player transportation''?

In any case, this is a very strong big. However, I felt I had to ask these questions as it is in my opinion a very risky bid.

Vladimir Drkulec
08-11-2015, 12:11 AM
A very interesting bid (CYCC/CO). A few comments :

- The idea of renting the residence is interesting, although I am not convinced all the rooms would be rented.
- Quite a few of the numbers seem way too high to me (TD fees, equipment, web expenses).
- I would budget much more than $10 000 in appearance fees if having norms is a goal (especially if this includes rooms).
- The sponsorship goal is very ambitious. Does the CFC have any guarantee that the organizers have the financial support required in case of a deficit (as the tournament seems extremely risky)?
- I honestly do not like the idea of having a CYCC on 7 days. I know some parents will prefer that, but many simply won't be able to take vacations for the tournament (or afford 7 nights of hotel). It could greatly hurt the participation.
- What is ''All player transportation''?

In any case, this is a very strong big. However, I felt I had to ask these questions as it is in my opinion a very risky bid.

They have $35,000 in funds already raised and committed by my understanding with the potential for much more. This is approximately two years before play starts. Much of the fundraising is through the local tourism office and is within their local budget approval. If required there is the potential for more funds either through local businesses, local government, provincial or federal sources of funds. The local group is well connected. Two of the group came down and helped with the CYCC in Windsor so they got their hands dirty and know what to expect. They stayed in the home of the chair of the organizing committee. The letter of support from Porter airlines is quite impressive. There will be no trouble getting there. I am also impressed with their plans for making Sault Ste. Marie a chess hub with ideas for North Bay type of tournaments and chess festivals.

The cost for seven days should be comparable with the costs for four days for most CYCC's we have had for several years especially for those who enter early and stay at the residence.
The budget for strong players at the Canadian Open appears to be $22,000.

The bid package is quite impressive and included a video which is just too large to post. The letters of support are a series of pdf images so I couldn't copy and paste them. I am convinced that this will be the richest Canadian Open in recent memory which should attract plenty of attention and players.

Lyle Craver
08-11-2015, 09:57 AM
PDF files can easily be attached to Forum messages as is the case with the Financials which are attached to the Treasurer's statements in the outgoing meeting. (http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/showthread.php?4224-4A-Treasurer-s-Report)

Am not sure about videos but perhaps an external link could be supplied? (Other organizations I've been associated with have used Youtube for this purpose and then e-mailed the link. Undoubtedly there are other ways)

Garland Best
08-11-2015, 10:11 AM
I'm pleased to see a comprehensive bid for 2017, but are there any bids for 2016 yet?

Victor Plotkin
08-11-2015, 11:59 AM
Looks like an excellent bid. I didn't see any mention of 7 days schedule for CYCC.

Dates Tentative: CYCC July 3-6th or 7th, 2017.

In my opinion, we should expect less players than in Windsor - Montreal corridor. However, it's a good idea to organize CYCC outside of this area (sometimes).

Paul Leblanc
08-11-2015, 12:39 PM
Assuming BC's proposal for the 2016 Senior goes through, I hope that all of you who are eligible take this opportunity to visit beautiful BC.

Vladimir Drkulec
08-11-2015, 12:44 PM
Looks like an excellent bid. I didn't see any mention of 7 days schedule for CYCC.

Dates Tentative: CYCC July 3-6th or 7th, 2017.

In my opinion, we should expect less players than in Windsor - Montreal corridor. However, it's a good idea to organize CYCC outside of this area (sometimes).

I believe it (possible 7 day schedule) is in the addendum and would be subject to reaction of the potential players and parents. There was a similar idea floated from one of the organizers that contacted me regarding a possible 2016 CO/CYCC bid.

Halldor P. Palsson
08-12-2015, 12:54 AM
Can we get on with getting a Canadian Open/CYCC for 2016? Ottawa did these tournaments in 2007 and 2013. We are a possibility for 2018, 2019 or 2020.

Without a 2016 bid we need the Executive to ask the 5-7 groups with history of holding these events to step up. Failing a step-up we have to have an open discussion of this at the next quarterly meeting. I am not a fan of vague statements from the executive about some interest in the Canadian Open 2015 that did not work out.

What can the CFC do to get these events staged in 2016?

Paul Leblanc
08-12-2015, 07:25 AM
What is the approval process for the two bids in this thread? Do the voting members decide or the executive?

Vladimir Drkulec
08-12-2015, 09:05 AM
Where there are multiple bids under consideration for the same event the voting members would decide between the bids. Where there is one bid the executive would normally look at the proposal, perhaps offer some suggestions for adjustments if necessary and approve the bid assuming it was acceptable. In the case of the two bids before us the comments of the voting members would be taken into account in coming to a decision.

Garland Best
08-12-2015, 11:37 AM
Reading the english chat section, Pierre makes a valid point. Why don't we have a Tournament Coordinator?

As per the "outdated" CFC Handbook:

TOURNAMENT COORDINATOR

8E. The Tournament Coordinator will help to develop and train tournament organizers and directors across the country. The Tournament Coordinator will be responsible for soliciting individuals to bid on and organize major tournaments in Canada, including, but not limited to:

The Canadian Open Championship
The Canadian Closed Championship

Given what happened in 2015, it appears that there is a real need for this role to exist.

What section of the NFP act negated the existence of a Tournament Coordinator?

Vladimir Drkulec
08-12-2015, 01:52 PM
Reading the english chat section, Pierre makes a valid point. Why don't we have a Tournament Coordinator?

As per the "outdated" CFC Handbook:

TOURNAMENT COORDINATOR

8E. The Tournament Coordinator will help to develop and train tournament organizers and directors across the country. The Tournament Coordinator will be responsible for soliciting individuals to bid on and organize major tournaments in Canada, including, but not limited to:

Given what happened in 2015, it appears that there is a real need for this role to exist.

What section of the NFP act negated the existence of a Tournament Coordinator?

The people who have done the job have indicated that it is an impossible task. I don't see how you can train organizers and directors across the country, particularly without a budget. If there is a groundswell of sentiment that the position should be retained then I will direct that an election be held. Hal Bond did this job last year in addition to the FIDE rep job. I really think in order for this position not to be counter productive the person would have to have a good working relationship with potential organizers and that may not be the case with the potential nominee here.

Garland Best
08-12-2015, 04:40 PM
Whether or not the job is a difficult one is not the point. Whether there is a "groundswell of sentiment" is not the point. The handbook indicates that this role exists and is to be filled. You may or may not be correct about Hal's diligence to try to find bids for 2015, and you may or may not be correct regarding the suitability of Pierre for the role. But that is for the voting members to decide. The office should be declared and elections held.

Vladimir Drkulec
08-12-2015, 06:49 PM
Whether or not the job is a difficult one is not the point. Whether there is a "groundswell of sentiment" is not the point. The handbook indicates that this role exists and is to be filled. You may or may not be correct about Hal's diligence to try to find bids for 2015, and you may or may not be correct regarding the suitability of Pierre for the role. But that is for the voting members to decide. The office should be declared and elections held.

I think there is a problem with provisions of the position as outlined in the old handbook relative to the NFP act. I don't have time at the moment to articulate those problems but will try to do so when I return after my chess lessons tonight. The omission of an election for this position was purely because we didn't have one this last year so I didn't even think of it. I have to refresh my memory of the provisions of the NFP act to point to the exact clauses in the NFP act where the problem exists. I have a lesson in ten minutes across town and that will interrupt my participation in this meeting.

Vladimir Drkulec
08-13-2015, 01:21 AM
The handbook was the law of the CFC. It is still looked to for guidance on the policy of the CFC. It is not the law of the CFC because it is clearly not compliant with the NFP act. With respect to the officers of the corporation the act says

138. (1) Directors of a corporation may appoint from their number a managing director or a committee of directors and delegate to the managing director or committee any of the powers of the directors.

Limits on authority

(2) Despite subsection (1), no managing director and no committee of directors has authority to
(a) submit to the members any question or matter requiring the approval of members;
(b) fill a vacancy among the directors or in the office of public accountant or appoint additional directors;
(c) issue debt obligations except as authorized by the directors;
(d) approve any financial statements referred to in section 172;
(e) adopt, amend or repeal by-laws; or
(f) establish contributions to be made, or dues to be paid, by members under section 30.

Officers

142. Subject to the articles, the by-laws and any unanimous member agreement,
(a) the directors may designate the offices of the corporation, appoint as officers persons of full capacity, specify their duties and delegate to them powers to manage the activities and affairs of the corporation, except powers to do anything referred to in subsection 138(2);
(b) a director may be appointed to any office of the corporation; and
(c) two or more offices of the corporation may be held by the same person.

When we were voting on the continuation Pierre made a big deal of the fact that under the NFP act directors (members of the board) could not delegate their authority to non-members of the board.

TOURNAMENT COORDINATOR

8E. The Tournament Coordinator will help to develop and train tournament organizers and directors across the country.

I think we can agree that without a significant budget this is simply impossible.

The Tournament Coordinator will be responsible for soliciting individuals to bid on and organize major tournaments in Canada, including, but not limited to:

The Tournament Coordinator shall have delegated to him/her by the Executive, their obligation under section 1201 of the Olympiad Regulations to appoint the Olympiad Coordinator. The Tournament Coordinator will then oversee and work with the Olympiad Coordinator re the National and Women's Olympiad Teams. [Motion 2010-15]

The problem with this is that there is no section 1201 of the Olympiad Regulations. I do not believe that you can require the directors to delegate their authority on any matter to a non-director since they will still have the liability as a director.

Hal Bond
08-13-2015, 07:45 AM
This problem is not unlike the unfilled positions for various co-ordinators. I agree with Halldor that this is serious. As the source of several "vague statements from the executive" about possible Canadian Opens in 2015 I can confirm that it was a frustrating exercise.

Rumour has it that Alberta is looking at the Canadian Open next year. Kitchener is a possibility for the CYCC in early July. Just remember that next year the WYCC splits, and we have to be able to name our roster for the U14,16,18 (in Khanty Mansiysk, which starts September 1, 2016) by July 15 in order to accommodate the visas et al. The younger group will be hosted in Batumi Georgia starting October 18 which is more manageable.

For SS Marie in 2017, we must be ready for an August 21 start at the World 8,10,12 in Brazil, then U14,16,18 in Uruguay September 16.

Garland Best
08-13-2015, 07:57 AM
I'm going to have to discuss this with others to see if there is a legal basis to this. The NFP act has provisions to appoint committees, and I don't see the difference between this and trustees for the Foundation on a liability standpoint.

Regardless, this forms an example of why the handbook needs to be updated. At least it appears we have activity on that front.

Fred McKim
08-13-2015, 08:59 AM
Maybe we can reword the duties of the Tournament Co-ordinator for the next meeting and then open nominations.

Vladimir Drkulec
08-13-2015, 10:41 AM
This problem is not unlike the unfilled positions for various co-ordinators. I agree with Halldor that this is serious. As the source of several "vague statements from the executive" about possible Canadian Opens in 2015 I can confirm that it was a frustrating exercise.

Rumour has it that Alberta is looking at the Canadian Open next year. Kitchener is a possibility for the CYCC in early July. Just remember that next year the WYCC splits, and we have to be able to name our roster for the U14,16,18 (in Khanty Mansiysk, which starts September 1, 2016) by July 15 in order to accommodate the visas et al. The younger group will be hosted in Batumi Georgia starting October 18 which is more manageable.

For SS Marie in 2017, we must be ready for an August 21 start at the World 8,10,12 in Brazil, then U14,16,18 in Uruguay September 16.

I spoke with my source in Calgary and the downturn in the oil price has led to massive layoffs and downsizing and he is skeptical that they could count on much in the way of private donations from companies. That said, they had recently received a contact from tourism bureau officials which said that they noticed that it had been about 20 years since their last Canadian Open Chess Championship and offering to do whatever they could to host another one some time soon. Previously we discussed holding a CO/CYCC in August to avoid conflicting with the Calgary Stampede. At this point I think we want to pursue other options. We were going to talk in a few weeks again when a key person in the Alberta Chess Association gets back from vacation.

Vladimir Drkulec
08-13-2015, 10:43 AM
Maybe we can reword the duties of the Tournament Co-ordinator for the next meeting and then open nominations.

That sounds like a plan. Is there someone out there who can chair the handbook committee?

Fred McKim
08-13-2015, 12:47 PM
That sounds like a plan. Is there someone out there who can chair the handbook committee?

There are two Director positions without specific responsibilities. We could ask those one of those two to chair or both to co-chair. Once there is a chair, volunteers might be easier to obtain :-)

Paul Leblanc
08-13-2015, 09:51 PM
When can we expect a decision on the event proposals? Is there a deadline for competing bids?

Fred McKim
08-13-2015, 09:55 PM
When can we expect a decision on the event proposals? Is there a deadline for competing bids?

Vlad can respond, but if there are no competing bids presented by the end of the meeting, I assume the Executive will decide on their acceptability. I don't see any reason why either would not be accepted.

Vladimir Drkulec
08-13-2015, 11:20 PM
Vlad can respond, but if there are no competing bids presented by the end of the meeting, I assume the Executive will decide on their acceptability. I don't see any reason why either would not be accepted.

I concur. If no competing bids emerge before the end of the meeting I think both bids will be accepted with possible minor tweaks. I don't see any tweaks necessary for the BC Canadian Seniors. The CO/CYCC 2017 bid questions might concern the dates and the addendum about possibly having a seven day CYCC which will require consultation with players/parents to determine whether this is an acceptable change from the usual format.

Vladimir Drkulec
08-13-2015, 11:23 PM
There is interest in Windsor in putting on the North American Youth Chess Championship next summer. The exact timing will depend on the timing of the CYCC and Canadian Open.

Aris Marghetis
08-14-2015, 10:45 AM
The CO/CYCC 2017 bid questions might concern the dates and the addendum about possibly having a seven day CYCC which will require consultation with players/parents to determine whether this is an acceptable change from the usual format.

Hi Vlad, I alluded to the following in another post, and I think this philosophy could be also be applied here. First of all, if someone asked me to bet the mortgage on whether the CYCC should be 4 days or 7 days, I would choose 4 days. Second, if I were presented with 2 CYCC bids, where one was for 4 days, and the other for 7 days, then all other things being equal, I would pick 4 days. In other words, in my personal judgment, 7 days for a CYCC is not the best idea. But here's my point, SO WHAT?! Rather than go with what VMs, or Governors, or Executive, or parents say, why not leave the out-of-box thinking to the Organizers? For example, I would think that the people considering 7 days for the 2017 CYCC would do some market research! I think they'll probably find out what you and I think, which is that 4 days would be better, but why not give Organizers the freedom to even consider such alternative ideas, to prove what the market really wants, and/or will bear?! In my humble opinion, when we receive bids (and we're not getting many of them), and one of the first things we do is say "well, we have to ask so-and-so whether this is acceptable", etc., we are eroding the initiative not just of that Organizer, but of other potential Organizers who are out there watching. I think we should feel free to provide suggestions regarding a bid (to not do so would be irresponsible), but I would like us to try liberating the environment that Organizers think they're looking at. In that other thread where I wrote along similar lines, I mentioned the Quebec Open and North Bay. Both of those events have/had approaches that would be rejected by very experienced chess people. For example, the Quebec Open does not rotate locations like most "National" championships, nor is it truly an Open like the Canadian. And North Bay was nowhere near a major city, and the schedule and time controls could be gruelling. But those events somehow succeeded. Somehow those Organizers built a complete package that worked. So I say if we have only one bid for the CYCC and they want to make it 7 days, we support their innovative spirit, AND EVERYONE WILL LEARN FROM THEIR RESULTS. I say that if the only bid for the CO is 7 rounds over the Canada Day long weekend (I'm totally making that up, not actually suggesting it), then why not try it?! Two positive things will come out of it: 1) we will have a CO, rather than not having one AT ALL (this point should hurt our collective feelings), and 2) other potential Organizers will feel free to come forward WITHOUT THE SHACKLES OF BEING OVER-REVIEWED, etc.

Just my 86 cents worth ...

Aris Marghetis
08-14-2015, 10:50 AM
There is interest in Windsor in putting on the North American Youth Chess Championship next summer. The exact timing will depend on the timing of the CYCC and Canadian Open.

Vlad, I've been involved as Chief Arbiter or Deputy Chief at many NAYCCs in Canada and the States, and I think you have a superb team in Windsor that would do a great job!

Vladimir Drkulec
08-14-2015, 07:05 PM
Vlad, I've been involved as Chief Arbiter or Deputy Chief at many NAYCCs in Canada and the States, and I think you have a superb team in Windsor that would do a great job!

Thanks Aris! I think so too.

Lyle Craver
08-16-2015, 06:11 AM
Much as I have fond memories of a certain Canadian Junior in the Ft Garry Hotel in Winnipeg some 30 years ago Aris is right to prefer a shorter to a longer junior event. Getting good representation from across the country is tough enough without stretching out the tournament. It would certainly be much easier if spring / Easter break were the same in all provinces but the political realities of this country are such that that isn't ever going to happen.